What does bone on bone?

Posted , 17 users are following.

I saw my consultant today and he spoke about bone on bone whilst looking at my xray. What does that mean? Thank you

1 like, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

So sorry to hear this, Rose .... I had/ have the same thing, as all of us fellow hippies - apparently it can deteriorate real fast - I also thought I had pulled a groin muscle after a long intercontinental flight - sitting in the same sardine-like position for 12 hours .... 75% means that there is still some cartilage and sometimes they want to wait with the surgery - but if it is bone-on-bone there is none .... come back here with all your questions and concerns ... you couldn;t be in better and more loving hands ----
    • Posted

It does feel like a pulled muscle abeit a bad one, so I am not surprised you thought it was that. I thought I had the return of ovarian cysts! Hee hee! At least I don't have anything else to worry about!! I was kind of dreading the prospect of having two operations, so that at least is good news smile
  • Posted

I have this in both hips no protective cartilidge at all so when I walk I just have arthritic bone grinding on bone, it's agony as you will know, had my right hip replacement done on Wednesday and although I am still very sore and stiff that boney pain has gone , just left with post op pain In that leg now x
    • Posted

I can't imagine having it in both hips ~ it is bad enough in one. It must be agony for you. The painkillers do not touch this kind of bone pain either it is just relentless. Well done for getting through your operation on Wednesday, and it is all upwards and onwards for you now. 
    • Posted

I am on morphine plus lots of other painkillers and like you say it doesn't touch the pain, it's rough going at the minute with recovery especially with the other hip been bad but at least I will be better off soon 😊
    • Posted

One down ~ one more to go. The pain sounds awful ~ so sorry you are feeling so sore. Does the morphine not work at all? I tried tramadol it did nothing at all!! I am thinking you are half way to a brand new life, and hopefully soon you will be completely better soon ~ wishing you well x
  • Posted

So whenever I walk or run, my hipbone or on top of the leg bone feels like it's rubbing against another bone. Once it happens it  be on a scale from 8 down to a zero. Few minutes later it'll happen again. Do you know anything about that 

• Posted

You'd be better off starting your own discussion, as many people will miss this. And some more information will help us to answer. Have you had a diagnosis? What kind of pain? The more you can tell us the better the answers will be.

• Posted

hi rose... fractured pelvis in hip joint in 1988, i am 52.... gosh it hurts now... i was able to continue on with sport for a lot of years...  shock/horror referred for hip replacement, i work on heavy machinery and this would be the end of work life.. bone on bone, however i urged my GP for a referral with prp injection.. i am 2 weeks on... feel the same and optimistic... i know its new on hips, does anyone have experience?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.