What does it feel like if Fluoxetine is actually working?

Posted , 123 users are following.

What are the common symptoms/feeling of improvement? Do you just wake up one day feeling normal?

2 likes, 359 replies

359 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'be been on Flouextine For 6 weeks and I am feeling myself again although everyone is different. Try not to concentrate on how long it will take to work fully in terms of days and weeks, look at how you feel everyday as anticipation and worrying will only make your symptoms worse.

• Posted

Thanks! Yes, I think just thinking about the time it may take makes the symptoms worse.
  • Posted

Im at week 10 and can say I feel 50% better but not where i want to be. But i went from not leaving my home to now going out, pushing myself, but anxiety is always my shadow...i get nervous once im somewhere, lightheaded, but i try not to run, stay there and face it, as ive convinced myself it wont harm me, but beleive me it's been hard. im hoping as time goes by i wil get better.

• Posted

Hello. I'm the same way about not leaving the house. I started flouxetine 5mg a week ago (I'm taking the liquid). I'm supposed to increase my dose tmrw. I have been on different AD's. I am getting bad panic attacks. I hate being like this. I wasn't like this before I took my first AD 2 years ago. I am also taking xanax. Each time I got off about 8 weeks later I would start to feel bad and I always thought it was withdrawal and my Dr kept telling me it's anxiety. The panic got bad so no back medicine. Hope it was the right thing to do. What dose are you on? And you started noticing a difference at 10 weeks? Do you take yours in the morning? How do you sleep?

• Posted

I started 5mg 1month ago,I've had a rough time ot especially the panic attacks sick stomach I won't even try to take any larger dose of Prozac called my Dr. have appointment in 3days I'm like you I don't want to take Prozac even a low dose you are the only person I know that takes that dose except me. Please keep in touch let me know how you are doing.

• Posted

I was on 5 mg for 4weeks couldn't stand the panic attacks went to ER 4 times ,it's been 7days  no medicine except Xanax.I'm going to go awhile see how I do on just Xanax.ltook Prozac for years like you I don't remember it doing me that way when I started taking it.when I went to my psych told me to start 10 mg.that was 3days ago . I'm afraid to take it.If I have to start back I'm going to work on talking a small dose like 1.5mg for a week then 2.5 week then 5mg then 7.5 then 10mg that's how he started me years ago.I stopped taking mine about 8 months ago bad mistake now back to going through all the side effects again.Im so run down physically I can't do it now,not eating sleeping just panic attacks sweating nausea,as you can tell I'm over it

• Posted

Hello all,

Today I start week 6. I believe I had a quick blip of normality. The morning was pretty rough, as usual, but an hour later after getting out of bed, I went into the shower and felt a little normal. I even started singing. I hope this is a good sign. My head pressure seems to be decreasing slowly. I also feel like my energy is better today.

The one thing I still struggle with is insomnia. I've been taking Lunesta 3mg (1/2 pill), but don't want to keep taking it, as I know is addictive. My doctor prescribed me Hydroxizine to take instead. Took it last night but it didn't quite work. I ended up taking 1/4 of the Lunesta pill. Has anybody taken Hydroxizine? Does it take a few days to be effective?

Blessings to all!

• Posted

Yes recovery does start like that - you get little glimpses of normality here and there and other things ease gradually.  The little glimpses will grow and grow biggrin

Insomnia ... that can be a nuisance, but again should ease off.  I'm not familiar with either of those meds.  Have you thought of natural melatonin, Kalms or any other herbal meds to aid sleep?  Check with your doctor though before taking anything, even herbal stuff.

Also, avoid using mobile phone, tablets, laptops etc a couple of hours before bed as the light emitted from these affects melatonin (the sleep hormone).  

K x

• Posted

Thanks Kate! I've already tried everything you mentioned, including electronic devices use.

Also, It seems like I'm getting hungry like every 3 hours and if I don't eat I get the head pressure feeling and feel weak. I wasn't experiencing that before my breakdown. At the beginning I was hardly eating, and now it seems all the opposite. I just don't like the weakness and head pressure feeling if I don't eat.

• Posted

My son had a melt down 2 years ago and was very ill - he was put on these meds and it took quite a long time for him to recover (everyone's different though) and he acquired a huge appetite whilst on them.  It wasn't that eating settled his head, just that he was always hungry.  Main thing, he recovered completely and has now come off these and is a happy young man once more.

I think you're doing all you can for the insomnia, and I'm sure your sleep will return to normal when the medicine settles.

Equally I'm sure this head pressure feeling will settle in time too.  Try and eat fruit and low fat foods when you need to eat in between meals.

The most important thing is that these meds will help you recover - they are tough to start with, but focus on the end result.

Don't forget to keep your doctor informed of everything too.

K x

• Posted

Thanks Kate. Im on week 7, today is my second day. It felt like going backwards yesterday, as I was feeling awful. Today I feel better than yesterday, but with a mild headache, specially in the evening time. Could these still be side effects? I really hope to start seen the light soon. Thanks!
    • Posted

Hi Moises

Yes you'll often feel like your going backwards ...... one day good, another not so good.  3 steps forward and 2 steps back.  Yes still side effects - your body is still adjusting and healing.

K x

• Posted

How long was your son on medicine for? Did he have any side effects when he started?
    • Posted

Hi Bun

It took my son 9 months to recover on these meds, and yes, he had horrendous side effects sadly, though part of it was the breakdown too.  He couldn't work for 4 months, lost so much weight, didn't go out ... though we took him out daily for a walk just to get some exercise.  I got him interested in music and he started palying African drum and started guitar lessons so he had some interest.  That was 2 years ago, and today he still plays music and is part of the drum performance group now :-)

In total he was on meds for about 18 months - he weaned off them this year and is still happy and well.

That was why I had to restart my own meds because it began to affect me.  Today I'm well again and also nearly off my meds.

K x

• Posted

That is so great to hear your son is doing well. Was he on prozac? What are you taking?
    • Posted

Yes he was on Prozac (Fluoxetine) and Mirtazipine - both of which he's now come off.

I'm taking Citalopram, am have currently weaned down to 2.5mg now and will stop over the next month or so I expect.

K x

• Posted

Hi Kate, I'm about to complete week 8. My doctor added Lithium 150 mg to the Fluoxetine 20 mg. still taking Lunesta for sleep and having a hard time getting out of bed.

I also noticed that on rainy/cloudy days my mood gets even lower. Is this normal for depression.

I also feel sort of disconnected and when night falls, everything feels sort of gloomy (sad). This has happened even before the Fluox.

Thanks for your advice

• Posted

Just be careful of all the meds you're prescribed.  Sometimes you can just feel overloaded.  We all want the anxiety to stop right now, but of course you have to wait it out for the Flu to work ... which it will in time.

Yes you can feel low on cloudy days.  I think everyone feels their spirits rise when the sun comes out and makes everything look pretty and bright.  The sun just makes us smile.

Many things can make us feel gloomy - being out of routine, going on holiday, returning from holiday, Monday morning, the long weekend stretching ahead, cloudy days, darkness, early mornings ....... the list is endless.  When you're suffering with anxiety, everything is manifested, making it feel even gloomier.  Some people get SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) and the lack of sunlight affects serotonin levels (your happy hormone), and Fluoxetine works by hanging onto it - so it could be that?

You mind plays tricks on you too when you're not well.

When the meds start working you won't notice the gloomy days - in fact every day whether sunny or rainy will feel like a new happy day!!  

I still have a hard time getting out of bed ... but that's only because I love my bed biggrin

K x

• Posted

Hi Kate, I'm on week 11. The last two weeks I've seen an improvement on the gloomy days and nights. Everything seems a bit more bright, but still no motivation and no sleep, except with the sleeping pill.

Have you heard of deplin? My doctor says it's a supplemen that is suppose to help the fluox. I hope it will speed up the process.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Moises

How strange .... I've just messaged you too! biggrin

I've not heard of Deplin, though just looked it up - looks interesting!  Yes, its supposed to help speed up SSRI's.  See its a prescription meds - shame its not over-the-counter.

Definitely give it a go.  Looks promising.

Forgot in my message - re insomnia - have you tried Melatonin supplements?  Its a sleep hormone ......  worth trying too.

K x

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Kate, yes have tried melatonin, but doesn't do anything for me. I received the Deplin today in the mail. I have good hope for it to work. I'll keep you and everybody else posted.

The bad thing about Deplin is that is not covered by insurance, since it's considered a vitamin supplement, but still need a prescription??? The price at the local pharmacies is over $100 USD. My doctor had me ordered from a mail order pharmacy for $58.00 a month.

Yes it's pricy, but if it works, I don't mind the expense..

• Posted

I ate weed brownies and the day after I started to feel light headed, shaking very slightly and anxiety (First time I ate or done any type of drug)

light-headedness, shaking and anxiety lead to my depression

Been taking 20mg Fluoxetine prozac for the anxiety and depression

3 weeks into prozac and i'm feeling better (having usual bad side effects)

But stated to feel depressed again suddenly

Dose this happen alot?

• Posted

Weed can lead to depression / anxiety and other mental issues, so not a good idea to dabble.  I'm not sure about eating it though - but best not to.

3 weeks on Prozac is early - and yes throughout recovery you will be up and down - some days you'll feel like you're better / getting there, and other days you'll feel like you're back at the beginning.  That's perfectly normal and is your body stabilising on the meds.

Don't stop the meds even if this happens - just keep going.  It will sort itself out.

K x

• Posted

Yea never touching anything like that again

Okay cool I’ll keep at it smile 

• Posted

Feeling better 

Nausea is pretty annoying

Does the nausea go away? 

• Posted

Hi Ruben

Yes the nausea does ease off - its your body settling down and getting used to the meds.  Can feel pretty ropey can't it sad  I can recommend drinking ginger ale to help combat that feeling - we drank loads when on a cruise in very rough seas some years ago and it took away the sickness.  I know your nausea is caused by something different, but worth trying.

K x

• Posted

Thank you your words help me feel better Kate

Already feel the side effects wearing off thanks smile 

Merry Christmas Everybody keep at it guys we can get through this together <3 

• Posted

Am pleased the side effects are lessening - and remember to just keep going on the meds, through the ups and downs and slowly you'll start feeling well.

Have a super Christmas smile xx K

• Posted

How long did it take for you to start feeling better? I started 20mg fluoxetine two weeks ago and I don't know if it's helping

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.