What does it feel like if Fluoxetine is actually working?

Posted , 123 users are following.

What are the common symptoms/feeling of improvement? Do you just wake up one day feeling normal?

2 likes, 359 replies

359 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

I just wanted to give my quick input, which is positive. I take fluoxetin against anxiety. I had to start again after having nearly stopped for four years. After six weeks, I started to feel better again. The anxiety just stopped. I can sleep again at night, and my insomnia is gone. I feel joy again. I can just enjoy positive moments again.

For an example, before, I couldn't enjoy sunday afternoon, as I was already thinking about the next day. Now I can enjoy the moment, without fearing tomorrow.

Hope this helps. 

• Posted

Thank you I feel better just hearing there is hope.I didn't take any yesterday feel like been hit in head with a rock today. I did take a small dose today I have the liquid Prozac My dose is 5mg which is very low dose it still packs a punch most thing makes me so tired.

• Posted

Thanks Neratius. I'm starting week 10 and even though I feel better than when I started, I still have the lack of energy and motivation to do the daily activities. I still battle with insomnia, have to take sleep med in order to sleep. I hope for more improvement to come soon.

• Posted

Hi Moises I was just wondering how you are doing now
    • Posted

Hi, I'm doing a lot better, thanks. How about you? My only struggle at this point is getting adequate sleep. The same lack of sleep causes my mood to be low. But other than that, I'd come a long way.

Are you also on fluox? Hope you are getting better. Let me know if I can be of any support. Sometimes that truly helps.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Yes I'm on flux, I've been on for about 11 weeks now but I started very low on 5 mg as I'm sensitive to meds. I have been on 20mg for 3 weeks and 30 mgs for one week. Will get to 40 and stay there for quite some time.

Did your mood just gradually start getting better etc? I haven't noticed too many changes and am starting too worry it's not going to work. How long on the 40 do you think it took? Thank you, so glad to hear you are doing better

• Posted

Recovery can be a slow process. It took about 5 months to start seeing improvement. Sometimes its so gradual that you won't even notice it.

My best recommendation is to hang in there and don't give up. There is a way to recovery, it can take sometime to find but you will find it.

I tried different meds and treatments. One of the treatments, besides Fluox was TMS (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation). Have your heard about it? It's a non-invasive treatment that does not produce side effects. You may want to do a Google search on it and talk to your doctor about it.

My doctor also prescribed Deplin, which is a vitamin B6(folate) supplement, but it has to be prescribed by a physician.

In my case, I started on the meds for major depression, caused by a nervous break down.

What are you taking the fluox for? If I may ask. Also, have you had a physical checkup done (blood work, etc.) Sometimes major depression can be caused by low or high thyroid, sleep apnea, just to name a few.

You will get better! Merry Christmas!

• Posted

I have been dealing with what the drs are calling anxiety since september. Mine is basically panic and bad shortness of breath. Cant tell you how many ER visits since then-too many to count. I was terrified it was heart related because my father has had three heart attacks. After running tests and ruling all that out they blame anxiety. Put me on 10 mg of prozac for a month now its up to 20. I am on week 6 or so, and My anxiety is through the roof. Headaches are terrible in the morning. Also throughout the day. I suffer from chronic migraines which have been under control until i started the prozac. Now on week 6 I am having bad anxiety still. Could it be from the dose increase? I honestly dont feel like thos is working for me but dr tells me it can take months. Things like weekly trips to the movies I can no longer do without worry. Even left the theatre once because my anxiety got so bad. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Why would anxiety meds cause MORE anxiety? Also at week 6 I am getting dizzy spells.
    • Posted

Hi

Can I ask if you stayed on the flu and how you are feeling now?

X

• Posted

No. I went to a psychiatrist and he took me off. He put me back on Lexapro. I'm on my 4th week and it's just starting to work for me. But I'm also taking gabapentin which helps but I hate being a zombie. I hope to be off the gabapentin soon.

• Posted

Hey Neratius,

I just started taking fluoxetine (Prozac) today for my anxiety. I have been on two other medications before but that was a while ago. Reading your story is helping me so much. Even though it is the first day of treatment, I do want this to be fixed already however after reading about this medication, I see it takes a bit of time. What did you do to maintain your patience? Did you do other modes of therapy to ease the anxiety? I'm quite active but this bout of anxiety has left me in my house because I'm so anxious but I'm hoping with this medicine I can get back to working out. If you have any words of wisdom they would be greatly appreciated! 

• Edited

I’m on week 5 of Prozac and I feel much moree stable. I found eating healthy, (tuna veggies) avoiding caffeine, talking to my family, evening walks at the park, reminding myself how lucky  I am to have a family that supports me, and visiting the gym and doctors helps 
    • Posted

Did it take a while for it to set in? I've been reading that a lot. I was in school and when school went on break i just sat at home not doing much, not getting a lot of sleep and I was hit with this terrible anxiety thinking I had all these diseases. I wake up trembling so I hope this works

• Posted

Yea it takes a while to work but it will work eventually 

For me my anxiety got worse at first for a bit but that’s been completely normal and shows that it’s working. 

Just update your doctor with how you’re doing and know that everybody here has and is going through what you are experiencing now.

It will take time but don’t worry you will get better.

Don’t feel rushed to get better because that can’t sometimes make you feel worse.

Just let the meds do what they do and eventually you’ll slowly start to see the things get better and better.

• Posted

Yeah I'm trying to stay calm but the biggest thing about my anxiety is my heart rate elevated which is normal I guess. Did your heart rate get higher when you first started taking this? Did that change after a while? 

• Posted

Yea it did a bit plus an whole lot of other symptom s but they are slowly going away 

If you’re ever worried about something  it’s  better to just ask your doctor

I find it easier to sleep when im next to a window with fresh air and a  second pillow to just hung 

I also play a podcast on my phone in the background and set it to stop after one ep 

Makes me feel like I’m not alone and it’s comforting 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.