What does RA feel like?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm stuck waiting for a diagnosis, soon to see a Rheumatologist, I don't really have swelling or stiffness but other symptoms.

Looking to hear what it really feels like from people who live with this disease.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

if you dont mind me asking what are your other symptoms ?

what makes you think it is RA?

maybe it is another autoimmune disease then ? they all have similarities

pain , swelling and stiffness are the main issues ...

• Posted

To be honest I have RA and can't relate to your symptoms but my OH who was a big weight lifter and builder till a couple of years ago is like you suffer from random pain, I personally think it's the abuse given to his body, I'm sure you will disagree but it's my opinion

He has lots of blood tests and all came back more or less normal

He hasn't gone the route of x-ray mri etc because no point he has some nerve damage and shoulder tears but as you get older you will find it has an impact on your body

Take up swimming and hydro is excellent

• Posted

Hi kc119

It is tough time, being uncertain of what is going on, and what the future holds. Many of us will sympathise with you going through that situation.

I can't say more here really, except everyone's experience of RA is to them unique.

The descriptions of the disease on the pages on this site will tell you what can be experienced, and for each of us any or many parts of what is mentioned could apply.

I haven't heard of any Rheumatologists identifying themselves in this group. To me, they seem like the people most likely to have met the most diverse range of RA patients, so once you get to see them, be ready to make the most of your rhuematologist's knowledge and experience.

You have done a good list of all you've been experiencing. Think as widely as you can about what your body is up to. Eyes (normal? dry? tired?), skin, voice, thirst, appetite, energy level, mood, sleep, temperature, sweat, digestion.... Don't be afraid of sounding like a hypochondriac, you might have clues you can provide to your doctors to help find out what is going on. You have to be your own advocate. Meanwhile, take it easy, don't push yourself. Best of luck.

• Posted

@AlexandriaGizmo

I won't deny that could be the cause but if so I think it must be due to a damaged spinal nerve because this happened overnight - my hands and feet pain then progressively over the next month to other parts, constantly rotating. Before the only issue I dealt with for years was my back. I regret doing any spinal injections because I seriously think that triggered this inflammation. Either way I do try and exercise still but in much milder form like you mentioned I've been swimming laps and much use of the sauna.

@blair97497

As most of us are guilty of, I've read articles upon articles, snippets of books, anything I can get my hands on related to every autoimmune / arthritis conditions. And I have a newfound empathy for any person that carries the burden of chronic pain, it takes a very strong minded and physical person to continue a daily routine.

In addition to observing my symptoms, I haven't noticed any issues with my eyes, voice, skin - I'll have to pay closer attention to my skin, being a guy that's always been rough I've never paid attention to discrepancies of my skin. In the past I remember the skin around my eyes burning some which would come and go with no rash or anything noticeable. I assumed it was nerves, maybe a face lotion I used.

Thanks to the both of you for responding, definitely helps to hear from others.

• Posted

Hello Kc, I feel for you,in my experience with this diagnosis, it varies what symptoms and degree of struggle with the

😂 pain, stiffness, spasms swelling, weather, stressful situations seems really highten the Stiffness putting on Pressure from inside out That's so horrible 😭 Not being able to Just relax down that pressure . tension pulling up all my joints at once not being able hang on cups spoon etc ,becomes Exhausting to the eighth degree Then praise the Lord you'll have a reprieve albeit short My left worse ofcourse reaching up omgosh grab stabbing popping. Cold, weather ,Wind disgruntles my system as well as no rest. long winded here . Truly hope the best 🙏 as you're beginning the journey hoping for very good knowledgeable Drs as well Again all positive 👍 thoughts . new An droid sorry mess message.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.