What does Your Anxiety feel like?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Mine i feel palpitations light headed tingling all over my body. I breath too fast. I feel so space out. This past weeks anxiety has been at its worst. Cant even go out to the store because i feel the need to run. Gosh i wish their was a cure

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all,

been suffering myself from anxiety and panic attacks off and on for many years, which i have managed to control to a certain extent with a small dose of antidepresants, primarily used to take the edge off the panic attacks, bouts of anxiety which seemed to work and i very rarely have them now.....i remember back in the day that i would always keep a paper bag in the car or in my coat pocket for just in case moments (i used to hyperventilate when having a panic attack, so rebreathing exhaled, carbon dioxide-rich air would raise the carbon dioxide levels in the blood and help stop the panic attack)  I have actually come off the meds, did so back late last year and know i will need to go back on them. Unfortunatly the timing for coming off them wasn't right, which is typical as so much has been happening in my life since then. Since coming off them i have dropped some weight, which was good, but now i'm back to feeling very anixous i've just no appetite and i've been sad and down. I've got copious amounts of phlegm in both my chest and throat too which is also due to acid reflux and sinus. The whole thing sucks and i thought i was over the worst.  I know the signs though so will re-start taking my tablets again, albut at a lower dose to start and see how i go. I'd rather be able to enjoy life more than i am now via a simple tablet a day, than wasting my time fighting over it....this i tried to do when i first had it, back in my 20's. As said i've had a very emotional couple of months and this has impacted me on a number of levels of which in the end took me down to the doctors for a full blood test. I had started feeling very tired, more so than normal, extreme palpitations and breathlessness which i've not had since my 20's which was a very long time ago. This time it felt different and i'm glad i took the time to get checked. I too thought it may have been my thyroid playing up as the symptoms are very similar, but so to are the symptoms of an Iron deficiency....that's what i've got and have recently been prescribed iron tablets to up them. I've only been on them a few days and they have at least taken away most of my palpitations and breathlessness as well as some tiredness. I haven't been sleeping properly either over the last few months anyway so expect to still feel tired, but without the draining feeling along with it.  As someone else has already mentioned, if your feeling really bad, a simple blood test isn't going to hurt.  I also may have to have an endoscopy next week which hasn't helped my anxety levels. It was suggested by my doctor to primarily ease my own mind, but to also make sure there's nothing else going on. Am awaiting a phonecall as to whether they think it worth my while or not, although to be honest, now its been said, i'd rather have it as i'll be worrying about the what ifs etc etc.  Have made an appointment anyway as having it done privatly. There is no way i could mentally wait for weeks if not months on a waiting list to be seen as i'm already half a wreck with worry. 

I wish too that there was a magic pill that would end all of our stresses and anxieties, its such a shame reading so many of you in the same boat that i was in back almost 20 years ago. I did get a lot better with my meds, after a number of chats with my hubbies dad who also had suffered back in the day. He made me see that the meds would help me to live again in a better way than i was at that moment in my life. He was right and i did wish at the time that i had accpeted them back when i was first diagnosed as i wasted 6 months of my life pretty much imprisioned in the home not wanting to leave it. Took a while for the meds to work and i was able to cut them down to a managble amount for me over time, which made me feel even better. I did also force myself into town to pick up a book on stress and anxiety which wrote about each symptom in detail but in a simple easy way that even me and my stressed out mind could understand. It also helped me understand better my condition and ways to help it.  I've never totally been rid of my anxiety or stress since it started and i doubt i ever will, its a part of who i am now. A lot of people do come off meds and are fine, a lot don't and take a small dose to take the edge off, like me. Other's are happy to continue being on whatever dose they are on, if they are happier and are living then that's what counts. Then there are those who don't want any meds, which is also fine. I did try that approach but found it too hard as said above, i just didn't want to keep feeling the way i was feeling anymore as it was draining and i wasn't getting anywhere, i honestly thought i was going crazy back then, my life was literally on hold and i finally got fed up so marched off like a soldier down to the doc's. I am thankful for meds and am happy to take them just as i am happy to take my iron meds as i know they are doing me good and helping me live.  Everyone is different though and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another, its just a question of seeking out what does work for you, whether that means taking a med or not. Getting a book on stress and anxiety is a good option though, that i will say, as it really helped me understand the condition and when i used to feel anxiety come on me, i used to grab the book and read over the sections that i was feeling at that very moment. It gave me something to focus on whilst at the same time calming me with what was written.  Am not sure if anything that i've written makes any sense, as i am feeling rather low myself at the moment, but hopefully for not to long. Just waiting for the iron to really bump me up whilst at the same time taking a course of antibiotics which has been terrible on my stomach to finish and also getting past this endo test next week,  but just know that none of you are alone in this. I do hope you all have some good support, this website seems to be a great place for it should you need support or an extra boost. Am new to it, only joined today due to my anxieties coming back....thanks to an unknown at the time iron issue......AGGGGH! Take care everyone and hope you didn't mind the ramble.

• Posted

Yes palpitations, tingling, light headedness are symptoms of anxiety.

Please don't reject these bodily sensations as this further creates panic.

Consult a doctor and counselling/therapy would surely help you.

Try going for a walk, doing yoga, meditation, etc. This also relaxes the mind.

Take care smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.