What has been your absolute worst symptom of (peri)menopause?

Posted , 57 users are following.

Hi All,

There is such a wealth of experience on this forum, I was just wondering which symptoms of (peri)menopause would top the list as the worst of the long list we are suffering.

Ok, I'll start - for me (so far!) it would be depression/anxiety. That's two symptoms but they go together. (A close third would be digestive problems.)

If you could be rid of just one symptom what would it be?

4 likes, 126 replies

126 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

My worst symptoms are the sweating and panic attacks that have just started. They are horrendous. Shaky, feeling sick, heart racing. Im taking all the B vitamins but they dont seem to be helping. Really wish i could go back on HRTsad
    • Posted

I hate those symptoms, not just because I feel so ill when they are happening but because they increase my anxiety generally. Once I've had a sick/dizzy/wobbly attack I'm on edge about going out and constantly wondering when it will happen again.
    • Posted

Ruthie I totally relate to you, when I have a set back and have a dizzy/ shaky  and feeling nauseas day it completely sets me back and like you I worry about going out in case I feel I will faint. I get so off balance. I must dat though after 2 1/2 yrs of horrendous symptoms that have completely changed my life and made me lose my confidence I am so much better than I was, from Jan 2017 I feel a black cloud has been lifted and I say to myself everyday my cloud has gone. As long has I don't have a headache which I was getting daily then I can cope. Hugs to all sufferers x

• Posted

My worst symptoms are anxiety, panick attacks, racing heart, frozen shoulders. I think these body changes also tell us that this is the time to take a good care of the body , since this is the major transition period in women's body.
    • Posted

Yes, the anxiety is awful and so unpredictable. I can relate to that.
    • Posted

That's a good point Altaa - it is the time to take care of the body: sometimes when I have a 'good' day I take advantage of the renewed energy and really overdo things by zipping about too quickly. I always pay for it the next day. Have to take it easy and eat healthily.
  • Posted

Hi Ruthie anxiety for me plus tierdness anxiety ok now but the tierdness can get bad by the afternoos i sometimes need a sleep.

paula x

• Posted

The feeling out sorts, not wanting to do things I used to enjoy, body aches-some days I feel like I am 100 and this happened overnight it  seemed, the occasional blues, the loss of energy, being told get used to it "you're getting old", body shape changing...... oh wait you said the absolute worst.........haha! Depending on which day tops that chart I guess.cheesygrin
    • Posted

If I could get rid of one it would be the one to stablize and have decent moods.
  • Posted

I just want to be able to walk in a straight line and without sore feet. I used to love walking, just striding out. Now I can't do that unless I know there's a string of bus stops en route in case I peg out. Oh yes and before I forget - I'd like my memory back too.
  • Posted

I'd say the unpredictability of symptoms to be honest. I can't put a finger on the worst but definitely anciety caused by them being unpredictable is what's bothered me the most. One minute I can feel fine and the next im wondering why I feel so lousey! x
  • Posted

My worst symptom is anxiety.

Fatigue, lack of motivation, and depression are close behind.

The hot flashes and night sweats are unpleasant, but not as debilitating as the mental and emotional symptoms for me.

• Posted

Easily digestive, I suffered odd bouts of diarrhoea completely out of the blue which I found very hard to deal with, due to low progesterone apparently.  

Btw, I am a huge Father Ted fan and loved the episode where Euan McLove was due to visit Mrs Doyle, she was sworn to secrecy about the visit and another woman was trying to get the details out of her, the other woman said if Mrs D told her she would keep the secret and if she didn't 'may she be struck down by every illness it is known for menopausal women to suffer, and as you and I know Mrs Doyle, that is a hell of a lot of illnesses'.

Sums it up nicely lol.

• Posted

Wow, Helen!! I didn't 'get' that reference at the time but I sure do now! A hell of a lot indeed. Now if I could only remember where I put that Father Ted DVD. Maybe it's under the sofa, in the bin, in the fridge like that other lady's tampons. I may find it by Easter. Or not.
    • Posted

That's brilliant Helen, Spot on. Made me smile too (and God knows I need to smile right now!) biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.