What has been your absolute worst symptom of (peri)menopause?

Posted , 57 users are following.

Hi All,

There is such a wealth of experience on this forum, I was just wondering which symptoms of (peri)menopause would top the list as the worst of the long list we are suffering.

Ok, I'll start - for me (so far!) it would be depression/anxiety. That's two symptoms but they go together. (A close third would be digestive problems.)

If you could be rid of just one symptom what would it be?

4 likes, 126 replies

126 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Spaced out feeling, memory loss and anxiety! X
    • Posted

I've had the detached, spaced out feeling too and so forgetful at times. I think the mental syptoms can be the worst.
    • Posted

Phew.  I haven't had any physical symptoms other than night sweats a while ago.  so worried about how i have felt since September, having an MRI scan next month to check all ok 😳x
  • Posted

Awwwwww and frozen shoulder!! Can be strongly linked to the menopause.......
    • Posted

I'm 49 and didn't really start to think about my symptoms being peri until last year when my periods became erratic. Looking back I realise I had lots of peri symptoms for years but didn't make the connection. I had two bouts of frozen shoulder (one is still not fully recovered).
    • Posted

I was the same Ruthie, had no idea until a couple of years ago.xx
    • Posted

Oh god Ruthie 2 bouts? You poor thing sad  I'm into month 8 withFS - had surgery 6 weeks ago - still in pain with little improvement in movement sad consultant says he may need tp do further manipulation sad oh the joys of getting old sad and of being a women! Its SO not fair!!!!!
    • Posted

Yes, first it was my left shoulder (for two years), then my right. I had a year or two clear in between. My right shoulder is nearly better but still have limited movement in it. Acupuncture and physio helped me a bit. But what really helped was a self treatment book called Treat Your Own Frozen Shoulder by Simeon Niel-Asher (the Niel-Asher tecnique). You will need a co-operative partner to help you and a daily commitment to about 15min manipulation. Once you get the hang of it it's really straightforward and helped me a lot as well as explaining what actually happens when a shoulder 'freezes'. Hope you get some relief soon x
    • Posted

Thanks Ruth I will certainly have a look for this and buy it smile anything to get rid of it!!! I'm scared stiff of it happening to my other shoulder...... I have a good husband who will help me out smile xx
  • Posted

For me it's also the joint pain, nobly finger pain, pain really. I had a frozen shoulder 4 years ago, had no idea it was menopause related. Literally feel I'm falling apart, ageing too fast, on second thoughts I'd like that Feeling of accelerated ageing to go!
    • Posted

Yep can be related to menopause - I sifted through tons info re FS and found this out! The guy who did my accupuncture first told me to do some research into it & thats how I found out!
  • Posted

Hi Ruthie

Pain, pain and more pain!

nearly at menopause if no period before July this year.  I believe these symptoms and many more to come, no doubt, will continue for some years, great!

Acupuncture usually helps, but it's been a bad month.  I'm planning on the bio-identical hormone route once I can afford for more private treatment.

Viv x

• Posted

I've been wondering about the bio-identical hormones too. It's hard to know if they are really much safer than conventional HRT though. I would rather take the natural hormones than synthetic but there is still the problem of having to come off of them again one day so I'm not sure yet. Sometimes I feel so desperate I'd taken anything though, if only it would stop the symptoms.
    • Posted

Ruthie 

natural progesterone is still HRT .. Best to consult a doctor oe gyno, as this natural progesterone can overload in the body and cause havoc, converts into testosterone, gave me problems, restarted periods and a breast lump.

when i spoke to my Gyno about me using it in past he said ' Big NO NO 

that messes women up.

so do your homework on it ..

google dangers of natural progesterone ..

at least be aware of what can happen months down the line 

always be monitored when using any form of HRT hun 

jay x

• Posted

Thanks Jay, I've read similar things too and it is worrying.

I've never wanted to go the HRT route but I can see how bio-identicals can seem appealing. They are natural but they are still a form of HRT and can cause side effects and problems when stopping.

I've been looking into tailor made bio-identical HRT. It seems many women benefit from (bio-identical) HRT and I suppose it just depends how unbearable the symtoms are but the jury is still out on how safe they are so I'm uncertain still.

I have used progesterone creams from time to time and they did help regulate and lighten my cycle. I've found them useful (and did get the ok from my gp) but I know they can cause problems too and you have to be careful and certainly not overuse them.

• Posted

Yeah its a tricky one 

i understand how you feel ..

sometimes i think ' oh i cant go on like this ' but i am too high risk anyway.

for full HRT.. Female breast cancer in family, and i had endometriosis in my thirties.. 

i use the ovestin vaginal ovules ( estriol) via gyno say so for the dryness, only treats that .. Its jolly good 😑

HRT patch doesnt go via liver and worth thinking about .. Through doc ..

if any HRT is Premarin, Premique, Prempak etc 

thats made with preganant mares urine .. Clue in the name PREM 

that i wouldnt touch, cruelly done too..

its Equine .. And we are not horses .. 

Each to their own at end of daym we can only research and learn what we want personally and what we think is right for us .

you will make the decision thats right for you, have to also rememeber quality of life too - so there are options out there, and via a Gyno or GP your monitored, and adjusted should it not be the right one along the way.

jay x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.