What is a closed cervix caused from?

Posted , 8 users are following.

My lining is double the thickness it should be for a post menopausal woman. I went for a hystero scope today and D&C at hospital. I as well have fibroids and cyst in rt. Ovary. Have been going 4 times a year (three years now) for vaginal ultrasounds to keep eye on them. I'm terribly confused and dissappointed the procedure today could not be done. Was told my cervix is flat. Could not get inside to do D&C or hyster oscopy. Will talk further about what's next in few weeks. Very concerned why I couldn't be dialate today. Anybody ever hear of this or go through it?

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Kathleen

Last year I had abnormal bleeding and also had vagina ultrasound ..my lining was slightly thick.....my gynae wanted to take a biopsy but was unable to insert the thin rod because my cervix was shut tight and needed to be dilated. ....she didn't say this was abnormal! ....I was booked in for a hysteroscopy and D&C had it done under General anaesthetic. ( through choice)...All came back clear..try not to worry.

• Posted

This is all new to me....never had a problem with this type of "woman" problems. I am a worrier so this is extra tough for me bc I always feel the worst is going to go wrong.  I now have to wait until the end of August for a biopsy, I know I will be a nervous wreck until I find out what the outcome is.  I have not had my period since last November and now had a VERY slight blood appearance last Thursday.  Doctor sent me for ultrasound and i have the thickening in the wall of my uterus...I have to until 8/23 for a biopsy.  I am just so afraid it will turn out bad.  Can anyone give me some positive feedback on what they have gone thru? 

• Posted

Cindy,

I had a thickened lining and a biopsy.  it was a quick prodecure, done in the office.   Not that much different than a pap.   I was told to just take Ibuprophen before i came in.  The results came back negative, therefore fine.

Not all thickened linings are a big deal.  Please try not to worry so much.  

• Posted

Thank you gailannie, I am a worrier to begin with, so this will be the longest few weeks of my life, I just had a knee replaced this year, my wonderful mom passed away so I have had so much bad things that have gone on....and I am having some of those menopausal symptoms that are just driving my husband nuts!!  I sure pray it is nothing.  Thank you again.
    • Posted

Cindy, I know all doctors have different procedures but you are not in menopause if you had a period in November. There was another thread on this forum about this same thing. The thickening is due to estrogen and what makes you have a period is your body producing progesterone. If you are not producing the progesterone, you will not have a period. The thickening is what is supposed to shed when you have the period. I believe you need to take progesterone so you will have the period. Happened to me lots of times before menopause. Took the hormones, had a period and was fine. My doctor never did a biopsy as that was not a concern. Just needed to shed that lining. So I wouldn't worry. How confident are you with this doctor? I'm not a doctor or nurse so I'm not judging. Just sometimes another opinion isn't a bad idea since this sounds exactly like what happened to me.

• Posted

Hi Becky,

?When I seen a gyno last August everything was good and he told me I was perimenopasal at the time.  I was 56 and my last period as I said was 11 of 15....so last Thursday on my "Poise" pad there was just a slight show of blood, very light in color.  I then called my family doctor who said an ultrasound should be done, which I had done on 8/2....dr. called me in the evening of that day and said the wall was thickened and I need the biopsy.  I am confident with the doctors at Geisinger Medical Clinic here in PA.  I have a regular dr. appt. this Friday with my family doctor and maybe he can also ease my mind with this.  Just have to wait until the 23rd for this test and find out results...hoping it's all due to menopause.  The only other thing is that I have been having slight cramps too.  Wondering if that is normal.

• Posted

I still think it's hormonal and you need progesterone. Not that the biopsy shouldn't be done I guess. Better safe than sorry. But mention it to the doctor Friday and see if he or she thinks you just need progesterone. Slight bleeding is also normal in menopause and peri due to thinning of the cervix. I also had that. Cramping can be that you're about to have a period and can also be due to stress from this worrying!

• Posted

I APPRECIATE your talking to me about this....makes me feel better!confused

• Posted

You're so welcome! And the biopsy isn't too bad. Take a pain reliever before you go. Not much worse than a pap smear. You will bleed for a few days after.

• Posted

Cindy, I'm confused about your dates, have you gone a "full year" without a period yet?

• Posted

no, November of 15 was my last...but my dr. is making it sound like it's not good....but his bedside manner is not the greatest.

• Posted

No doctor should ever make something like that sound not good. And I think he is totally wrong! He has made you anxious when you don't need to be.

• Posted

Oh you are so right about being anxious!  My stomach is doing flips...and it's all I am thinking about. 

• Posted

When I was in peri, my doctor said to call when I missed 3 periods. She would then put me on progesterone and I would have a period. That went on for a couple of years. When the progesterone stopped causing me to have a period, she checked my hormones and I was in menopause. So you shouldn't have even gone for this long without taking the hormones. Ask the doctor about that.

• Posted

Well, my husband works at a pharmacy and I found the name of a woman ob-gyn.....called but they are on lunch.....I would rather a woman.  So, hopefully after 1pm today I will have an earlier appt. then the 23rd.  Thank you so much for all this info.
    • Posted

I'm so happy! Don't even know you but feel like we're friends now and I'm so glad. It's going to be fine. Let me know.

• Posted

yes, sometimes it does....and I will!  She is well known, I just got lucky....but I still am nervous!
    • Posted

Is she doing a biopsy or is this just a second opinion?
    • Posted

Hi.....I found a woman gyno today thru my husband's work.  My appt. is this Monday, so now I don't have to wait until the 23rd and make myself crazy by waiting so long.  I am praying it's just a part of menopause, my pap last August came out fine.  Thank you janeymac.

• Posted

Your welcome.  I had a period in June after 18 months.  I know how you feel.  I'll keep you in my thoughts and you keep us posted.  Good luck Monday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.