What is everyone using for toothpaste?

Posted , 21 users are following.

The only thing I can tolerate is children's bubblgum. I can't use cinnamon or any kind of mint.. I'd like to use something that might help the OLP. Any ideas?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Froggy I use Weleda Calendula Toothpaste. It is made in Germany but believe it is sold world wide. You may have to go to a natural health store to get it.

I find it very soothing to the mouth and has a cooling effect.

• Posted

I am using a mild tea tree oil toothpaste I ordered from Walmart
  • Posted

Hi Froggy 

I use Biotene and have used Oranurse both of which I have  to order online. Both these do not contain Sodium Laural Sulphate. They were recommended to me by Dentist and Hospital.  

Good luck, hope you get some relief from using either of these toothpastes.  I certainly do.  Although I can't get rid of the problem completely even with medications.

Regards

Annie

• Posted

Hi Froggie44

I brush my teeth with baking soda and it works really good.  .I also put baking soda on my tongue. the saliva disolves it and then I just spit it out.  Seems to calm the inflammation in my mouth, tongue and gums.

• Posted

I also have OLP and see a Professor at the Dental hospita to use Sensodne pro namal . I was also recommend from the hyginest King Fisher toothpaste from hollandaise & barrat .

• Posted

I use Children's Bubblegum toothpaste as well. It's the only thing that doesn't burn.

• Posted

I'm exactly the same, I can only tolerate kid's bubblegum toothpaste. I bought kid's mouthwash to try & it's so painful. It puts me off wanting to brush my teeth to be honest.

• Posted

The only thing i too can tolerate is childrens bubblegum toothpaste,
  • Posted

I was advised years ago to choose any toothpaste that does not have the ingredient Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, sometimes abbreviated to SLS. That is the ingredient added to many toothpastes to make them foam and is known to cause skin sensitivity, the very last thing an OLP sufferer needs. I have kept away from it and find it more comfortable to use.
  • Posted

I use children's bubble gum toothpaste and it doesn't sting at all. I also have used just plain baking soda.

Good luck.

Linda

• Posted

I have been making homemade toothpaste for over a year. Although it has not helped my husband's lichen planus, at least it does not hurt him at all and his teeth are doing well on it , as are mine!

• Posted

Froggy  44, I have had OLP for 8 yrs. Started using Biotene as per doctor but in last year it got worse. Out of curiosity I stopped using biotene and switched to a tooth powder I make. It has eased in pain and sores. Not gone but better! Here is the recipe: 4 TBSP Bentonite Clay, 3TBSP calcium powder, 1 TBSP baking soda, 2 TBSP powdered mint, 1 TBSP cinnamon, 1 tsp. Ground cloves, 2tsp activated charcoal,  1 TBSP Xylitol (optional) essential oils can be added for taste spearmint, peppermint or cinnamon. Hope this helps!

• Posted

Add coconut oil, very beneficial all rounder and helps to make it into a paste. My homemade is baking soda, coconut oil (pure ), and few drops tea tree oil. Will definitely get some xylitol after reading how it can help olp.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.