What is happening to the hair??

Posted , 9 users are following.

This is just plain horrible, all of it.  I'm  50  years old- as if the last four years were not hard enough- fatigue, achy joints, fibro, weight gain and no energy.  I think this might be one of the hardest things yet - my hair texture and thickness is changing big time.  My asset has always been my hair- thick, soft waves my entire life, (as probably many women).  I think I am having major hormone crashes because the hair is breaking off, falling off and actually looking thin. The hot sweats don't help because I think it is drying it out further.  My hair has gone from healthy, full and wavy to getting scraggly looking and thinner in just a matter of a few months.  Just entered menopause this month because no period for last 12 months.  

Ladies, this menopause is unbelieveable-- not only physically but mentally. It is bad enough to not feel good but now I have depression over the condition of the hair, as it drastically affects the way I look.  I guess we end up letting go of everything we had- just so depressing.   I should stop being so vain and think of those losing their hair totally with chemotherapy or other stuff.  At least I have hair. Still...this menopause really strips your life.   

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sharon. me & my 68yr old mum have been trying biotin supplements for the last 3mths after another lady called deirdra(i think) on here suggested it, & her mothe had great success with it for hair loss/deterioration. my mum has quite bad hair loss on top of her head, & has noticed her hair feels a bit thicker, & has had some little bits of "baby hair" reappearing where she had loss. i had a small area of thinning around my temple which sounds like nothing, but as i have really thick curly hair i noticed it .  my hair does feel & look more lustrous & while i dont think i have more hair round the thinning area, i don't notice it now, as my hair feels more thicker/healthier. i also found it has helped my morning alertness/fatigue a bit too ( i am chronically ill with bowel problems as well as peri at the moment). we are taking 2000mg day which is a good moderate dose & we take it in the morning. whilst its not a miracle product, it has made a significant difference to both me & mum's hair in general, & i do find it helps me  a little with my alertness/tiredness. any improvement is good!!  you can buy it from high street health stores like h & b.  xx

• Posted

Thanks- I think I will use this Biotin eventually.  A friend uses it and says the same.  I have also come across some though that said that after using Biotin for several months, it did start to fall out again.  But maybe it was from something else that was causing it and they were not aware.  

Sorry about your bowel problems.  That is no fun and can be very stressful.  I have a minor bowel issue, but that is taking a back seat to the aches and fatigue that meno is causing.   

• Posted

I think that most women's hair does thin with age. We tend to think of balding as a male problem but theirs is just more noticeable because it (usually) appears in complete bald patches whereas women's hair thinning (usually) is more diffuse, over the top third of the scalp instead.

I recommend minoxidyl. It used to be by prescription only in the US, which means it had to pass rigid clinical trials proving that it works, unlike may other remedies where the evidence is only anecdotal. (Now it's available over the counter). I use it and it works very well. It takes a few months to work though so you have to be patient.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.