What is your best tip/advice for someone after a tkr?

Posted , 18 users are following.

If you could only give one (1) piece of advice for people recovering from a total knee replacement what would it be? 

My advice would be to be prepared for a long, slow recovery and to not get frustrated. One thing I notice from all these postings is that a huge percentage of people feel they should be doing better than they are (including me) and more than a few are worried something is wrong. Statistics show that 95% of patients are delighted with their recovery at 12 months so unless you're very unlucky, you're doing just fine. Just continue to plod along.

What is your #1 tip? (Just one please)

1 like, 63 replies

63 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Don't protect your knee too much. Really go for that bend/ straight extension during physio. I think I have been too gentle (despite religiously doing the physio 4 times a day) and hence poor bend. Great idea for a discussion. 

• Posted

I have mixed feelings about that, not sure to go agressive or go passive. This week is passive for me. There seems to be conflicting opinions on this. I agree, great idea for a discussion.
    • Posted

Yes, I'm guessing that some don't need to be aggressive at all - it's going to depend very much on the person, and maybe the amount of bend they had before the op.  It SEEMS (but who knows!) that some physios have been too aggressive with some people, reducing them to tears and causing a lot of swelling, not to mention pain.  But people vary hugely on how much they have to push for the bend or how naturally it comes on it's own.

• Posted

Just came across phrase " work to the pain not through the pain " which I liked!

• Posted

Remember bend is good but straight will keep you from walking with a limp. Always spend more time worrying without the bend as it is harder to maintain.
    • Posted

Hi there! Nice to know you are still here helping all of us!😊

I have remembered what you said a long time ago about the focus on straight legs! While I'm reading or watching TV I do what my husband calls my Ottoman Training! (Legs up on the ottoman, focusing on straightening and flexing my quads, holding the flex, then releasing and resting the legs. ) Doing this over and over again REALLY has kept me walking normally, and my stride is getting long enough to pretty much keep up with my very tall family -- ALL with long legs!

How've you been? How is your wife doing?

I think of you often and am grateful for all you have taught me over the last two years!😊

• Posted

Good to hear from you now that the ice has thawed from the lake.

Unfortunately things keep trending downward for her. A couple more falls, deeper depression, appetite failing and The most difficult to have to work with, the mental state and dementia. She's very confused much of the time and the "sundowner syndrom" is starting earlier in the day. Not a pretty picture. All the kids were here for mothers day plus a grandson graduated from university of Kansas that weekend and some of them drifted in and out, unexpectedly. She was so tense and confused by mid afternoon it took a couple days to get things back to normal, whatever that happens to be.

Glad to hear you continue to make progress. How is you husband doing healthier wise these days. Spring always makes us seem a little better it seems

• Posted

So sorry to hear that things are on a downward spiral for your wife. We are dealing with a similar thing with my husband's mother. A spouse has got to be so much more challenging though. My prayers are for both of you!????

My husband had the shingles in September. He recovered, but around Christmas he began to lose sight in his left eye. It took until March (Spring Break) for me to convince him to SEE A DOCTOR. 😲He had surgery to repair blood vessels, and also had the vitrious fluid removed from his eye to clear out blood. This was replaced with saline.His eyesight is returning.😊Meanwhile he is now on Metformin and Lantus to get his blood sugar under control. He has a check-up tomorrow to see how everything is going. We hope to find out why he gets dizzy, nauseated, and weak at random times. May 1st brought THE FLU. He's STILL not 100% which REALLY frustrates him. We hope to get some answers soon!

• Posted

The good and the bad...at least the eye problem to address the diabetics. Hope he continues to rebound. We just have to keep plowing.
    • Posted

Yes, we do!

Thanks for asking, and thanks for the well wishes!

I think the not knowing is hard for him. Trouble walking due to balance issues and dizziness scares him as it would anyone especially when the cause is unknown.

Will keep you posted!

Take care and thank you for all you do to help all of us!😊

• Posted

I am only at 80 bend and PT says I protect my knee too much. I work really hard at home and have put up with bone on bone pain for years so know I can handle pain. Maybe you are right and it is not my fault. I see the consultant on 5th June so will know then but sadly  think I am heading for manipulation. 
    • Posted

My PT's were literally "killing me". I'd come home and be virtually bedridden for 2 days because of pain and swelling. Same story as yours, "need to push harder, no pain no gain bs". I was unable to do any stretches at home and could only get the swelling down enough to do two therapy sessions a week even though my script said three. I was pushing as hard as I could, they seemed to have no idea of my discomfort. In the end, I said I didn't want my knee manipulated aggressively any more. I got the sense the whole office was disgusted with my "failure" and from that point on, the therapists showed little interest in me. I'm finally done with that. Wahoo. I've been doing my own thing at home now. My ROM wasn't good...but got it to 90 degrees avoided MUA by the skin of my nose. I'm now one day away from 14 weeks and things are slowly getting better. I don't know for sure but figure my bend is in the high 90's and improving daily. I don't worry too much about the bend anymore, just do my thing, gradual stretching...nothing too aggressive. I'm looking forward to being able to ride my bike. If I can ask, how many weeks post surgery are you?

• Posted

Ozziegee - that is so valuable a lesson for so many struggling and being pushed too far to achieve!  I'm SO encouraged to hear that and I know so many others will be!  Good on you!   You've shown the way on this!  Being in so much pain that you can't do the exercises at home defeats the object - far better to do it gradually and frequently!!!!  Brilliant!!!!  Well done!  My surgeon told me the bend increases for up to two years.  I suspect it slows down even if people are pushing it over that period, but it does show there is time to improve if you need it to.

• Posted

6 weeks. PT have called me a cry a baby( I got upset when she said at 3 weeks that I needed a manipulation), told I do not present like a person 3 weeks post TKR ( what ever that is meant to look like). I then had a new PTwho was very gentle and did lots of massage rather than exercise (she has just left) and on Friday I have a new PT. it hasn't been a good experience but sadly the NHS and so our PT probably have targets to measure their success. 

• Posted

Susiemah, I am utterly HORRIFIED how they've spoken to you!  I SO SO hope your new pt is better!  The pt we had in hospital had such a gentle approach (that was NHS too) but then I was the other extreme and told when I asked about something three weeks later that my bend was one in a hundred, so I didn't need to worry about it.  But I still say discouraging someone does not help!  You get the best from people by encouragement!  Do let us know how you get on with your new one.

• Posted

Susie, you've been treated so disgracefully. I want to send you encouragement. Your story and mine are similar. First off, you will be fine, I will be fine. I think Therapists read too much into the ROM numbers, it's their way of justifying that they're "doing a good job". Low ROM to them seem like a failure and a reflection on their work. I was at 68 degrees at six weeks, my PT's were disgusted by my "poor effort" even though I was giving all I had. I actually think Therapy set me back, I would have been much better doing it on my own. I've had big improvement doing my own exercises at home since stopping. I'm not setting any records and I know I'm way behind where most people are at this point but I've progressed to where I know I'm going to be just fine. I don't know my number at this moment and could care less but I'm pretty confident I could bend to 100 degrees if I had to. Remember, this is a very slow recovery and for me personally I would have loved to have been at 80 degrees at six weeks. You'll be just fine and please think carefully before allowing anyone to bend your knee painfully or doing an MUA. Chin up, you'll be laughing about this at the end of the year.

• Posted

A very thoughtful and kind reply!??

My physical therapist always told me that creating more pain should NEVER be a part of physical therapy! If I was tight, she had me stretch more. If a particular exercise produced a strained face, she would change my position or change the exercise. She would often say, " I have MANY exercises to strengthen that muscle. We are stopping THIS one NOW!"

She answered each question that I had so that I knew WHY I was doing what I was doing.

I wish I could clone Sandy and send her to EVERYONE!??

Sandy worked me hard for my hour of physical therapy, but she worked me fairly and with great attention to MY needs and MY abilities. I worked hard because I wanted to hold up MY side of the team. I would not be where I am now in my strength, balance, and endurance had she been only interested in NUMBERS!

Wishing EVERYONE a solid, friendly, and FAIR physical therapy experience. For me the physical therapy made all the difference in my outcome!

• Posted

Cheryl, I was too general in my comments about PT's. Not all are the same. In my personal experience, I had four PT's in the Hospital and four at the clinic I went to. Two of those were really good, two ok and four not so good. My bad memories are mainly with one overly aggressive PT who would not listen to me and unfortunately, I had her the most. Sounds like you hit the jackpot with your Therapist.

• Posted

Thank you Ozziegee. I really appreciate you sharing your journey with me. I bounce from disappointment with my progress to remembering how hard I am working. I am only 50 and hope i feel better in 12 months. They are meant to be doing my right knee in 6 weeks but I think that will be delayed and I certainly don't feel strong enough to cope. Thanks again.

• Posted

It's a TERRIBLE feeling when people refuse to LISTEN! What that says to me is they are NOT seeing me as a PERSON!

When we have had surgery, we are VERY vulnerable! We are hurting, maybe afraid, unsure of ourselves in so many ways, and DEFINITELY needing kindness, patience, and people who LISTEN TO WHAT WE ARE SAYING!

We all need to speak up when we are not being treated well! That can be hard when we are feeling so vulnerable.

I'm sorry that you didn't get a Sandy. She was a PEACH!??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.