What is your definition of an attack

Posted , 13 users are following.

What do people consider an attack?  The super room spinning or just the really unsteady sensation. 

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I don’t consider the balance issue as an episode because I always have horrible balance.  I consider an episode when I’m violently spinning and can’t get out of bed.  Ones that last all day or for days.   I have frequent little vertigo episoded that last a few minutes, I don’t consider them a episode.  
  • Posted

I consider an attack as the roommoving and I vomit and can’t get off the toilet and am confined to bed until it passes.  I am unsteady and off balance more or less permanently in between attacks. Terrible illness.
  • Posted

In my experience an "attack" is severe vertigo that renders you useless. I've had MD for 15 years and attacks can vary in severity. A drop attack is by far the worse and literally drops you to the ground without warning. It may be followed by vomiting and inability to walk and can last for a few hours or a couple of days. Less severe attacks can be predicted when ears starts to feel more full than usual and ringing increases followed by vertigo. Both types really suck, but I've found that as I've gotten older the attacks are less frequent, however I now have MD in both ears, severe hearing loss, constant tinnitus, and dizzy spells or "unsteady sensation" that aren't as bad as Vertigo. Wish there was a cure, but right now it's the same treatment, betahistine, prednisone, diuretic, low sodium and excercise.

• Posted

Hey Dizzy 

Sounds as if I have similar constant symptoms as you. I have been unable to work since my first major attack. 

I worked in a Pulp mill with conveyors, mobile equipment, noise and flashing lights, along with high heat. 

Are you able to work and how does your employer handle those days you can’t work? I’m in Canada if that matters. 

Thanks Scott 

• Posted

I am continuously unsteady, as if I had 6-8 beers. So I consider an attack loss of vision focus, inability to walk in a straight line, or the room spinning and naseau. 

• Posted

Spinning for me is the worse but I feel both of them are attacks
    • Posted

Hello all, if anyone can, how long does your spinning last (eg; mins, hours and days)? I'm asking about the spinning alone please. And also how often do you get it?

thanks in advance.

Mark

• Posted

My spinning can last for 1 hour and the longest I had was 2 weeks.  It’s not a constant but when I’m up right.  I have to lay down real still and not move. But if I turn over or any little more movement I’m going for a ride.   
    • Posted

Hello Mark. I have had MD almost all of my life and I have every symptom that everyone talks about. I have had attacks that last 6 weeks but the residual motion and lopsidedness once lasted 8 months. I have been without any attacks for 10 years now- lowering sodium, no sugars and grains have helped tremendously. I will say, movement as in the form of exercise and stretching also opens up the meridians traveling up and down the neck area. Good luck   
    • Posted

When I get a ‘spinning’ attack, it usually lasts from 2 to 12 hrs.   My attacks always cause vomiting and and immediate need to lie down and sleep.  I am 37 yrs old and have been suffering for 4 years now.  My episodes come on every 4-6 months.  I am usually back to normal in 2 weeks.   The fear and anxiety has increased over the years and there are times when I am suicidal over this disease. sad.  

• Posted

hi please don't think of  hurting you're self I know these attacks are bad but please we are all here for you we know what you are going through because we all are having these same attacks we know how down and lonely you feel but love your not alone my first lasted a whole day and I ended up in A E they gave my inject to stop the sickness I could not stand for a good few hours it has been now 9 months iam still uneasy about It i never felt so alone until I came on this site and I glad I did to see how many of us its good to talk or text each other I felt safe again just by reading and joining in iam not good at going out on my own but i have  family around me to help please let the fear pass by someone is always here for you take care  

• Posted

when I have an attack the room spins until it comes to a stop I want to be sick I can,t focus very well and iam really unsteady it like iam on a boat that keeps swaying it the most awful feeling this has being going on since my last attack when this happens it followed by a very  pain across the eyebrows and at the side off my eyes then I need to sleep I just feel so tired my eye are very heavy and I need to sleep my ears fill full as iam deaf and the ringing gets louder and louder it bad but I have to get over this iam not going to let it make my life hell some days it not so bad but I do get relly bad days I not going to lie to you and I have felt suicidal too I was really scared of this and could not  cope but I found this site and made friends just by replying to them and it helped me to came to terms a bit take care if I can help in any way by text you on this site please text me    

• Posted

I believe that most of us have felt hopeless at times.  I have also thought it would be easier on everyone if I would just “to sleep “.  But then I look at my 4 beautiful grandbabies and think I can’t do this to them.  Because I have good days.  My good days outweighed bad per say.  I have horrible balance which I have been told won’t get any better and I can deal with walking like a drunk, holding onto walls, tripping.  When I have the vertigo my 4 yo granddaughter is even aware that Grammy is sick and she’ll hop in bed with me puts my head on her lap and she strokes my hair.  These are the reasons I will not MD beat me.  It can knock me down spin me around and make me sick to my stomach but these precious babies get a kick of silly Grammy when she falls into the wall and that is fine with me.  If you ever feel desperate get on this forum and type away.  Good luck my fellow. MD champion! 
  • Posted

most of the time iam unsteady I find my self holding out to the wall to stop my self for falling sometimes the sesation is so strong I think iam going to fall to the floor then I get the fullness in my ear I relax as much as I can because then the pain across the eyebrows start and at the sides of my eyes thse
  • Posted

All of these replys seem to be from folks that appear to have uncontrolled vertigo from meniere's disease.  I'm wondering how many of you are taking betahistine?  If you are not I'm curious to know why not.  Are you allergic to it or have none of your doctors discussed it with you.  It can be a life saving medicine for those of us with MD.  

• Posted

I've he'd md for over 15 years and not once has betahistine ever been recommended by the 5 or so ENT I've seen. I only learned about betahistine through this forum.

• Posted

I'm on betahistine it's now just kicking in. Been on for 3 months

• Posted

Dizzy, you must be in the USA as am I.  Most ENT here are either unaware of betahistine and/or have little knowledge of Meniere's Disease.  If you go to a neurotologist....ENT that has sub specialty in inner ear diseases, you will be told about betahistine.  Ask for a prescription and have it filled at any compounding pharmacy....only way we can get it in USA.  Most likely doctor will start you off at 4mg 3X/day and work up to 16mg 3X/day (48mg/day).  Maintenance dose is 48 mg total/day.  I take 16mg 4X/day (64mg/day) for complete remission of vertigo.  Most people tolerate betahistine well...it has few side effects, however do NOT take ORAL antihistamines with betahistine....they neutralize it.  If you need antihistamine be sure to take the nasal inhaler type.  Let me know if you need more info.

• Posted

Are you taking 48mg/day, Marie?  If less than that you may not be getting enough.  Glad to hear, though, that you are noticing improvement....just make sure you take it EVERY day.  Try not to miss a dose.
    • Posted

Hi I take betahistine 3 times a day. I also take phenergan at night. Does that neutralise betahistine because although I take the phenergan to sleep it is an antihistamine for allergies. I’m in the UK and have vertigo daily. 
    • Posted

Hi Pat.  If you take it orally most likely it is neutralizing betahistine.  Betahistine is a histamine so it makes sense that taking an antihistamine would likely neutralize it.  If you have to take an antihistamine take the kind that is delivered via nasal spray.  Nasal spray antihistamines do not circulate through the blood system and stay locally in the nasal/sinus zone....thus do not neutralize betahistine.  It's best for you to discuss this with your doctors....I'm not a doctor so I hesitate to give you specific advice other than above.  I know the above is accurate because it was told to me by several neurotologists and allergists.  Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.