What liver condition do I have? ALT/SGPT and GGT levels escalated!!?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello Guys,  

Recently got my LFT, didn't get a chance to consult my doctor as he is not available.  

Please go through my liver reports and please tell me if anything serious.  

Bilirubin = 0.83 mg/nl                                           (NORMAL RANGE 0.2 - 1.0)  

Bilirubin Direct = 0.19 mg/nl                             (NORMAL RANGE 0.00 - 0.30)  

Total Protein = 8.0 g/dl                                         (NORMAL RANGE 6.4 - 8.2)  

Albumin = 4.6 g/dl                                                (NORMAL RANGE 3.4 - 5.0)  

Globulin = 3.4 g/dl                                                (NORMAL RANGE 2.0 - 4.1)  

Albumin/Globulin Ratio = 1:4                                (NORMAL RANGE 1:0 - 2:1)  

Aspertate Aminotransferase (AST/SGOT)= 24 u/l (NORMAL RANGE 15 - 37)  

Alanine Phosphatase (ALT/SGPT) = 60 u/l            (NORMAL RANGE < 45)  

Alkaline Phosphatase = 115 u/l                            (NORMAL RANGE 30 - 120)  

Gamma Glutamyl Transferase (GGT) = 98 u/l   (NORMAL RANGE 15 - 85)  

Lactate Dehydrogenase = 184 u/l                      (NORMAL RANGE 100 - 190)  

The ALT/SGPT and the GGT levels seem to be on the higher side.  

I am not a daily drinker but I do it occasionally, but I do it heavy.  

I eat a lot of junk food.  

I have recently being diagnosed with IBS and I have also taken some medications, which I currently have stopped taking.  

Tell me if my liver report says something serious and what can I do to reverse it.  

I would highly be appreciated.  

Thanking you

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

P.S In addition, I am 23 years old from India
  • Posted

Okay, in the UK, GGT is 10 - 70 normal, although there was a time until recently it was <50. This is virtually always down to alcohol.

I would think that you had a burst of heavy alcohol consumption just prior to your test and this has elevated it. Did you have any celebrations, parties or a boozy weekend just before the test?

If so, this will have affected the results. My advice would be, next time you have a test, lay off the alcohol for a week before the test to give a more accurate reading. That advice is only for someone like yourself that is not a heavy regular drinker, for anybody that is, you would only be kidding yourself if you tried to bring the results down.

• Posted

Hello RHGB,

Yes I had gone out for a weekend and it was intense drinking for one and a half days and this test was conducted two days after the test.

But I do feel undementioned:

- Itchy skin over the upper right abdomen.

- A little discomfort in upper right abdomen with a slight pain.

- Somtimes pain in my uuper left abdomen.

I also have acidity issues.

Medical History: Diagnosed with Jaundice in Dec, 2012 and got treated after 1 month.

Please tell me what could be the issues or I am just overthinking.

Thanking you

• Posted

I did see a reply to my post, but it seems to have disappeared.
    • Posted

What was the diagnose of your jaundice, i.e. what were you told that caused it?

I am not a doctor, but the jaundice combined with the pain area, may indicate gallstones. These can cause pain in the areas you have mentioned, they can also cause temporary jaundice if they get out of the gallbladder and into the bile duct.

But this is all guess work, I do not know your medical history or have the results of tests when you had jaundice. Your doctor should really be explaining the situation to you.

• Posted

I will post it again for you

Hello RHGB,

Yes I had gone out for a weekend and it was intense drinking for one and a half days and this test was conducted two days after the test.

But I do feel undementioned:

- Itchy skin over the upper right abdomen.

- A little discomfort in upper right abdomen with a slight pain.

- Somtimes pain in my uuper left abdomen.

I also have acidity issues.

Medical History: Diagnosed with Jaundice in Dec, 2012 and got treated after 1 month.

Please tell me what could be the issues or I am just overthinking.

Thanking you

• Posted

They told me nothing, but they assumed that it happened because of junk food.

But the jaundice occured in 2012 and was recovered within one month and these three years I was healthy with no issues at all.

I don't think it is combined with jaundice.

But I will surely have an ultra sound and will visit the doctor as per you said.

• Posted

Some of my friend said that it is fatty liver but I don't see myself believing it.

Is there any case if this is true?

• Posted

Jaundice is caused by a build up of a substance called Bilirubin, which you will see at the top of your test results.

There are three main ways that it is caused.

Certain infections/diseases, malaria etc. -Pre-hepatic jaundice

Hep A,B&C,Alcoholic liver disease,liver cancer-Intra-hepatic jaundice

Gallstones/issues with gallbladder/pancreas - Post-hepatic jaundice

I have never ever seen anything to indicate junk food causes jaundice.

• Posted

I would be surprised if you had a fatty liver at your age, but it is a possibility. It can be cause by alcohol and a bad diet. The doctor can only guess from your blood tests, the only way to tell is to have an ultrasound - which is the same as the give to pregnant women to look at the baby, except they look at your liver, kidneys, gallbladder and pancreas.
    • Posted

Hello RHGB,

In recent days I was feeling a bit heavy in my abdomen.

So my dad forced me to check for ultrasound and fibroscan.

Everything else was normal but I was diagnosed with fatty liver and fibrocan score was 5.3kPa.

My family doctor said that your liver going towards fibrosis and he scared the sh*t outta me, but I doubt this. 

What are your reviews about this? Is this bad?

How to reverse this? what are the dos and donts?

How long does it take to reverse it?

• Posted

The three stages of liver disease are, fatty liver, followed by fibrosis, followed by cirrhosis.

It means you are progressing from fatty liver to fibrosis and if you continue the way you are, there is a good chance that it can lead to cirhosis.

I don't have access to your medical history or your scans to make any dignosis and as I have said, I am not a doctor. There is alcohol and non alcohol fatty liver disease. The non alcohol fatty liver is caused by obesity and a bad diet. You can be slim and still have fatty liver because of a bad diet, don't assume if your are slim, you are eating a good diet.

I would guess (and it is a guess), that your fatty liver is down to both alcohol and junk food, a bad combination, but when people consume alcohol, they vary rarely worry about a good diet, just something quick and easy to ston the hunger pangs.

I'm glad your doctor scared the sh*t out of you, you have been given a warning, do not ignore it aand I don't mean a warning from your doctor, your body has given you a warning.

Cut the alcohol back and avoid binges. Eat fresh produce and prepare your own meals. No takeaways and no what we call in the UK, ready meals, that is, something ready made in a packet from the shop to go in the oven or microwave.

As i don't have your records, I can't tell how long, but I think a year would be plenty. But it is a lifestyle choice, not a temporary fix, otherwise it will happen again and every time fibrosis occurs, your liver scars and can't always repair itself.

Remember, next step after fibrosis is cirrhosis and that is non reversable. But your doctor should have told you all of this.

• Posted

I have already cut down my alcohol totally.

I am taking 1 teaspoon on apple cider vinegar three times a day.

I am eating foods without fat.

The only fat I am taking is from egg yolk and 1 tablespoon olive oil a day.

Eating a lot of raw vegetables and fruits a day.

I have aldo uplaoded my diet plan.

Tell me if is it okay or tell me if any changes.

I will also upload my reports shortly.

Thank you so much smile

• Posted

Well, not am I not a doctor, I'm not a dietician, but I did have to see the hospital acute dietician for 18 months when I came out of hospital.

This thing about not eating fat, is a misnomer. The body is made of fat and requires fat in the diet to survive. Eating protein and fat, helps to give the body energy that lasts over a long time. Carbohydrates give a quick burst of energy and then the sugar turns to fat and it is that fat that is not good.

We as a society eat too many carbs, many in the form of sugar and because it is marketed as low fat or fat free, we think we can't get fat on it. Well, just look at a man who consumes huge amounts of beer, there is no fat in beer, but all the sugar is carbs that turn to fat, hence the beer belly.

It's difficult to discuss diet with you, because I am indigenous British, living in a Northern temperate climate and my diet will have been different to yours for thousands of years.

Generally, a good diet, consists of meat, fat - natural fat, fat from meat, dairy fat. The bad fats are the man made ones. I eat plenty of dairy food, milk (not skimmed) cheese, yoghurt and eggs. I am totally lactose tolerant though, I can drink pints of full fat milk. Fruit and vegetables, again what is available and eaten here will be different to where you are. Oats are good, as long as they are natural, I eat prorridge most mornings to keep my choletorel down.

As for eggs, the egg whites are full of carbs, they are meant as energy food for new borns (chicks) that are growing and use it. The best part of the egg is the yolk, full of easily digested protein. The yolk also contains chloline, which is good for damage liver and helps it to remove the fat from it - look it up.

Make sure you have some fat in your diet and not too many carbs, which turn to fat if they are not used quickly. Atheletes take many carbs, but burn them off as energy before they can turn to fat. And keep away from any processed food. Just make your food at home, but the ingredient and make it. Keep away from sugary things, only have them in moderation, for example, a peice of cake is much better for you than a packet of sweets.

If you're worried about fat, have a cholesterol test every 3 months to monitor your cholesterol levels. Mine are 4.2 and if came down from 5.7 when I was in hospital, just by eating stuff that isn't processed.

• Posted

Hi Nishver

To start my ALT was 77 and GGT was 567.

I started a simple regime each morning as follows:-

A) cut half a lemon, squeeze juice and add 2 teaspoons of honey . Then add Luke warm water about 50 ml and drink mixture.

B) take 1 bit.E-400iu and 1 omega 3 (EPA 180 and DHA 120) . Do this twice a day

C) Buy fresh Indian Gooseberries (Amla) , juice them with slow juicer and place in bottle to keep in fridge. Take 3 tablespoons each morning along with above routine.

In between try to drink at least 8 glasses of warm water per day.

My GGT is now done to 202 and ALT down to 34 after 3 months. Got more energy and also lose 3 kgs in weight.

Good luck to you!

Walter

• Posted

Hello walter41331

This surely gives me a good feeling.

I will surely follow this as this looks like a good detox.

Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.