What's happening to me?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am 17 weeks post TKR. My knee is hurting so badly and I can't stop shaking!

Over this weekend I have had a tummy bug but thought I was over it so I drove my daughter to an appointment. I started to feel hot and had to sit down.

Its 38 outside and my hands are like ice. My head is hot, I can't stay awake. And I can't stop shaking! Why?

Hubby thinks it's post traumatic because my Aunty died on Friday, I'm not so sure because she was 92, and I was expecting it.

1 like, 83 replies

83 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

OMG Roland, what an awful experience for you! It was probably stupid of me not to seek medical help during that time, but it was over the busy holiday season and I thought the only way of diagnosing it was to have a colonoscopy, which I did not want to have to endure during that time. If the sympoms re-occur, I will certainly ask my doctor about that cath scan. Thanks for that!!!!!

I'm so sorry your PT is not going well sad   You have been so encouraging to others, yet you have been through more than most people! I will think positive thoughts for you and hope things turn around for the better soon!

Betty

• Posted

Thanks...I appreciate your kind thoughts. Just saw the news report of some severe winds in the LA area. Hope you are safe
  • Posted

hi Caz

i hope you're better now

Jean 

• Posted

Hi Everyone,

Well, that was horrible. I'm over the worst but still feel sick in the mornings. The thing is, as we are all finding out, is that any break in our exercises, even while we aren't well, puts our knee back a bit.

My knee is stiff, I'm back doing the original exercises.

But what I have had has been nothing compared to the traumatic times OFG and Jean have gone through. Jean, I hope your son is on the mend.

We have had days and days of 38 degrees, I live in bathers. Some little sh!t on a motorcycle ( dirt bike) has been deliberately setting fires around out town. Des and I have been watching one in particular that is burning out of control and heading towards our sons house.

Why do they do this? They actually caught one a month ago, a fire fighter would you believe?

Stay safe an smile

Caz x

• Posted

I hope they catch the little moron who's setting fires 

I wonder if he'd set one near his own house

It's a miserable dull day here ...rain ....wind.... And very cold ....please can you post me some of your heat ...I'd be more than willing to share it with you 

Jean 

• Posted

Well Jean, if you ever fancy an Aussie holiday, just shout.

Caz x

• Posted

I could send you a mozzie or two. And flies! The flies here are something else! 

It's so hard to sleep when it's hot. 

Hey, do you think that massaging with Bio oil helps after 18 weeks? When do you think it's time to stop? Are you still doing it?

Caz x

• Posted

Hi Caz

So glad you are over the worst of it. What was it, a severe case of the flu?

As far as that sicko starting fires, there are sicko's like that everywhere!

We certainly have our share of them here in California!

So you are feeling stiffness since taking a break in your original exercises? I think that is what happened to me, and I was wondering how long we are supposed to be doing them? I'm talking about the original exercises we did during physical therapy then continued at home. I thought once we were back to normal activities, walking, biking, etc., we could wean ourselves from the other exercises, but apparently not!

Using the oil is a good question too. How long?

Hope you feel better & stronger each day. All that smoke from the fires can't be helping your recovery! sad

Betty

• Posted

Hi Betty,

Yes, the smell from the fires it in everything. Last night we had a huge storm, thunder and lightening. I thought, great, a good dowsing is what we need. But, no rain here.

I woke up at 2am and could here a trail bike being ridden round and round the streets. I called the police to let them know. I thought maybe it was that little @@@@ surveying his handiwork. The police must have thought the same, minutes later I heard a siren, then the bike stopped.

I think we probably have to exercise for ever, maybe not so much later on, but definately for a year.

I hope you are getting over this experience. It's not something I would like again.

Caz x

• Posted

hi Caz glad you're on the mend.

i still massage with the Bio oil every day ...my scar is great ...shame about what's going on inside the knee

its still swollen ...bruised and painful at times Roll on 25th Feb when I see the Surgeon again

and oh my god...my other knee is playing up . I'm having a cortisone injection in it next week so fingers crossed it works.

It seems never ending 

Jean

ps ...I'll let you keep the flies and Mozzies

i hope they caught the little idiot who's setting fires 

• Posted

Hi Jean,

Thats not good news about your other knee. Was it playing up before your TKR? I have noticed that my other knee, and even my hips have been strange, I just put it down to doing extra work.

I am still massaging with Bio oil too, I have a habit of forming keloid scars. I have a small one on the top part of my scar.

When I put the oil on sometimes I can see bruising.

I still can't walk for as long as I could before my tummy bug. Building up again.

Caz x

• Posted

Well I'm joining the club here because my other knee is acting up on me now as well as my hips! Arthritis had been diagnosed in both knees and right hip, but my TKR knee being most severe ( thus having the TKR) . The surgeon said it would be a long time before my hip would be a problem and said nothing about the other knee. I had hoped the TKR would have taken some of the pain & pressure away from my hip, but maybe because we have been favoring our TKR it has done the opposite.

Discouraging isn't it? I think I expected too much - thought after my TKR I would be good as new again, not still hobbling around!

• Posted

one step at a time Caz

you need to build your strength back up after your recent nasty illness

take each day as it comes

i've learned to do that .....I know I will never be able to run a Marathon.....maybe half....or maybe not.....lol 

jean 

• Posted

Hi Jean,

My daughter has endometriosis and is having it burnt away ( again) in March. So, I'm taking her away next week for a couple of days to Busselton. A hotel on the beachfront. That will do us both good.

As you said, we never stop worrying about our kids. But it would have helped if my 29 year old son hadn't booked his holiday next week flying Malasia Airways!

We will run the London marathon one day Jean, is only in our dreams

Caz x

• Posted

Hi Caz

a few days away will do you both the world of good 

i love beach holidays laying on a sunbed listening to the sea is my idea of Heaven 

But all I feel like doing in this cold weather we're having is to snuggle back down under the  covers and hibernate until Spring.

enjoy your break 

Jean 

• Posted

Oh dear Betty, Will this ever end? Probably when we are completely bionic!

I watch people doing crazy stuff on YouTube and I can't help thinking about their knees!

Caz x

• Posted

Hi Jean,

Hope you are reading this under your duvet. Or as the Aussies say ... Doona

We will be swimming in the hotel pool, someone got taken by a shark on that beach not long ago.

We have shark in the fish and chip shops here, kind of makes sense to me.

Caz x

• Posted

Ha ha, that about says it. I think it will take being bionic to no longer feel pain anywhere!

Have a wonderful time with your daughter. I have two daughters and "one on one" time with them is special!

Betty

• Posted

Hi Betty,

I have two daughters and a son,

This heat every day is very wearing. It's hard to sleep with the air con on.

Im working on my knee again, exercising every chance I get.

How are you doing?

Caz x

• Posted

hi Caz

enjoy your break with your daughter it's nice to have some (girly time) as we call it. 

Land mentioning our children ...I have 4 sons and 2 daughters although  a son and a daughter both live on the Isle of Wight you being from the UK will know where I mean.

nice place to go for a holiday.

I'll be glad when I've seen my Surgeon on 25th Feb  and hopefully he can tell me what's going on with this bloomin knee....I read all the posts on here and wonder why my recovery is taking so long.

i've always done the exercises etc.... So I need to find out why I'm still in pain and limping at 21 weeks post op

oops....sorry....moaning again

take care Caz and enjoy the chips with your Shark 

Jean 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.