What's happening to me?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am 17 weeks post TKR. My knee is hurting so badly and I can't stop shaking!

Over this weekend I have had a tummy bug but thought I was over it so I drove my daughter to an appointment. I started to feel hot and had to sit down.

Its 38 outside and my hands are like ice. My head is hot, I can't stay awake. And I can't stop shaking! Why?

Hubby thinks it's post traumatic because my Aunty died on Friday, I'm not so sure because she was 92, and I was expecting it.

1 like, 83 replies

83 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I would be concerned about a possible infection.  I'm 12 weeks out and I'm still experiencing a burning on the inside of my knee, particularly bothersome at night....seems like last few nights have been a bit better...and I have some itching, which, I'm sure, indicates healing. 
    • Posted

Ya'all are right - good days and not so good days.  I am 8 weeks out and doing well, according to what I hear from others!  This morning I cleaned both bathrooms which entailed crawling on my knees to scrub the tub, toilet, floor, etc.  Feeling it now, but still needing to clean the kitchen.  UGH!  Nights seem to be the worse.  Still having trouble sleeping, and experiencing some weird discomfort in the knee.  Guess this takes a long time to heal!
    • Posted

Did you check with your surgeon before getting on your knees. Many surgeons absolutely forbid kneeling and any type of torque movements. Be careful you don't create more and bigger problems for yourself
  • Posted

hi Caz

i know you posted this 5 days ago and I hope by now you are feeling a little better.

i don't seem to have been right for weeks...I had flu ...then a tummy bug and my knee isn't as Good as I expected it to be at 20 weeks.

i was feeling really down and sorry for myself.

then one of my son's for rushed into hospital with gallbladder problems ...he had the op to remove the Gallbladder and found it had been a benign tumour not a gallstone as first thought.

and suddenly I was needed and th focus on my knee was put on a back burner ...I even found myself going upstairs as normal without thinking about every step I took.  Admittedly I was holding both hand rails but I never gave it a thought

my son is recovering nicely but it made me realise my focus had been on my knee and taken over my every waking hour

what I'm trying to say is I was the one that was needed ....not the one needing 

take care Caz and look after yourself 

Jean 

• Posted

hi jean ... isn't it interesting?  so good came out of bad.  sometimes we need these kind of wake-up calls (your son's rush to hospital) to give ourselves a push.  i can also identify with the whole knee focus business which is why i am not so active on here anymore.  there comes a time when you just have to get on with life!  i got sick of making my knee the focus.  so yippeeeeee, jean, great progress with the stairs.

i hope your son is feeling better soon and you keep up the good work.

• Posted

Hi Jean,

Wow, that's a nasty shock for you. I hope your son is feeling better.

You are so right about our knees being the focus of our lives.

I have been focusing on something very different, the bottom of a bucket and the toilet bowl, usually at the same time. On day 10 today, I haven't really thought about my knee either.

I haven't been on here as I have also had conjunctivitis, so couldn't see.

I am sure though, that your son needed you even before his rush to hospital, your knee just took over, like they do.

I met two ladies at the doctors yesterday, they had both had TKRs over a year ago and told me that they feel wonderful.

Here's to feeling wonderful Jean.

Caz x

• Posted

Caz, what is it that you have that has lasted 10 days? You poor dear, that is terrible to suffer for so long! I too had a weird stomach ailment for about a month. Not vomiting like you seem to be doing, but let's just say the symptoms sounded like Diverticulitis, however I did not see the doctor & eventually it went away.

Have you seen a doctor? I do hope you get this resolved!!!

Dear Jean, I've missed seeing your posts as well. I hope your son is better & I sure know what you mean how quickly we can get distracted from our knee when something like that happens!

I wanted to tell you I read your book The Front Porch - what a lovely story! I so enjoyed reading it. I have your other one ( Let's laugh) waiting to be read. I'm an avid reader so I always have a stack of books at the ready smile

Take care you lovely women and let us know how you are doing, whether it's your knee or otherwise.

Betty

• Posted

Betty...be careful if it is diverticulitis. 4 years ago I was having a pain in my side that forced me to ER. No chance of gall bladder or appendix, they are gone. 1st two trips to E R they found divertculosis.....the third time, all with in 15 days it had turned to diverticulitis and they wound up taking 15-18" of my colon. Not a pleasant experience. If it gives yo trouble, a simple cath scan can put your mind at ease.
    • Posted

hi Betty

i suffer from diverticulitis I was hospitalised with it once I spent 10 days in hospital starved to clear my system and just fed through a drip ....what a painful nightmare that was.

now I know when it's coming on so I go to my GP and get the antibiotics before the flare up gets too bad

so if I was you Betty I would get it checked out 

Jean 

• Posted

Oh no Jean, you too? What a terrible experience! Hearing what you & Roland have been through, I will not ignore those symptoms again, or wait for them to go away on their own!

Thanks for sharing your experience.

How is your son? How is your knee getting along?

I'm 6 months this week and ashamed to admit I got a little lazy about my exercises & even though my bend is good, it's not as straight as it should be & when I walk, I feel a "pulling" feeling & my leg is shorter than the other so I tend to limp a little. I'm forcing myself to do the stretches again to try & straighten it out! I'm hoping scar tissue has not formed.

😒 will it never end???

• Posted

hi Betty

my son is doing ok now ...but what a nightmare wait until the tumour was diagnosed as benign

they thought it was gallstones at first  but it wasn't  

he's thankfully on the mend now.

i'm so fed up with this damn knee ..... I drove to shops today and had a wander round ...which I thoroughly enjoyed ....but now it's swollen and aching like mad ...Icepack on again.

20 weeks and still in pain.... It just doesn't seem right ,

• Posted

thank you Betty

I'm glad you enjoyed my book ...it was loosely based on my childhood...name changes of course

the other book is just  poems. From a Yorkshire lass ....maybe not  everyone's cup of tea .....although some of the poems were adapted into songs and recorded by an Irish singer.

i write poems about almost everything ....day to day life can be funny even aspects of this stupid knee ...lol 

Jean 

• Posted

Gets awfully hard to stay positive when you have a negative biting on your leg doesn't it? Stay with the program and maybe the glimer of hope will again shine. Glad to hear things are going better with your son. A sick child can just drain the life right out of a parent. You might have needed a diversion but sure as heck not that kind. Thoughts and prayers your way
    • Posted

Hi Jean

I'm so relieved for you that your son is OK. Like OFG said, having a sick child ( no matter what their age!) can drain the life out of you. You'd rather it be happening to yourself than them!

I'm sorry however that your knee is still giving you fits! I'm about 23 weeks and still have a lot of stiffness. I expected it to be better than this by now and can't help wonder if I'm to blame by being a little lax about doing the stretching exercises. At what point can we stop and just do normal activity like before?

Keep up the writing Jean and take care. Betty

• Posted

hi Caz

you certainly have been through the mill.

you sound as if you are really run down and need something to boost your immune system back up.

Although we had a strange stomach bug over here a couple of weeks ago which lasted about 8 hours like you bucket and toilet.

then it just stopped and everything went back to normal ....really weird to last such a short time.

you take care and let your other half enjoy being needed  as you say you would do it for him 

Jean 

• Posted

hi Betty

now my son is on the mend 

i really must get back to exercising my knee is stiffening up and starting to feel heavy again.

i found myself using both hands to shift it into position yesterday.

not good I want to be fit for Summer it's  ( Winter here) now

so both myself and you back to exercises and knee focus 

take care 

Jean 

• Posted

thank you so much for the lovely thoughts

my son is so much better now after the good news about the Tumour.

now it's Me time again 

exercise exercise exercise ....I think ....

Jean 

• Posted

Me too Jean,

I think I am going to go to the aquatic centre, just as soon as the kids are back to school, Feb 2nd, end of their summer holidays.

Stay well, keep moving, that's the mantra.

Caz x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.