What's wrong with me?!

Posted , 83 users are following.

Hi guys,

I'm new to this. Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place - just after some ideas/advice.

Since the beginning of December I've been feeling sick quite regularly, particularly after eating food. This became so severe that over Xmas I was off work for a week, spent the week in bed feeling excessively tired and feeling horribly sick. I barely ate anything and as soon as I did eat then I just felt even worse. I've seen my GP on 3 separate occasions now. She has prescribed Omeprazole 20mg and Metoclopramide 10mg, both of which I've been taking for 2.5 weeks now. GP has asked me to change my diet and is putting my symptoms down to Gastritis. I should add, whilst I don't eat unhealthy food, I do work 12 hour shifts which include nights so the times at which I eat and the food I choose to eat at these times can affect my stomach. Bloods have been taken, but nothing showed up so as far as the GP is concerned there is nothing to worry about. But.....as I'm sure you can appreciate, there is something to worry about because I still don't feel well, and this is six weeks later.

Making the situation a million times worse is I'm Emetophobic (fear of vomit) and so feeling sick stresses me out because I then worry that I might be sick and tend to avoid eating in case I am sick.

No diarrhoea, vomiting or passing of blood accompanies my symptoms. Just the feeling sick and overly tired. Does anyone know what could be causing this and if there is anything I can do to aid recovery?

Many thanks in advance for any help offered,

Dec

4 likes, 146 replies

146 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hiya i feel so bad for all who are suffering,i take heart meds and have to take cyclizine for the side effects but years ago i had this problem with the food thing i ended up stopping eating anything apart from crackers wirh nothing on them, the acid reflux was horrendous,no sleep for weeks on end i had a tube down my throat and a barium meal and they said the tubes were burned from the acid reflux i had a new medicine prescribed apart from the usual antacids it worked like a dream and then two years later the medicine was no longer being made so i got the whole thing back again and the worse sickness yet again i have to get on with it as i have to take heart meds ask your doctors about cyclizine they work for feeling sick but make you drowsy with a dry mouth but better than feeling like death every day of the week and i hope you find your answers somewhere good luck x
  • Posted

Hi Tel

I live in lincolnshire..the best thing is go to the doctor and say you are not at well, you lost far too much weight and want to be sent asap to a consultant...if a doctor books an endoscopy direct then it takes weeks 6 weeks,plus ...... if you go on a two week appointment to a consultant you will have the tests done within a week or

Two weeks......if you say you will travel to another area that helps.....

I really hope this works.....keep in touch. val

• Posted

Thanks Val but I already have appointment for endoscopy in 2 weeks. Hopefully find out more. Will keep you updated.

Can't believe how I have some good days and some bad days and can't pin it down to anything. Yesterday I felt rubbish in pain feeling sick and generally depressed, today I feel fine and almost back to normal - very strange.

• Posted

Blimey, Tel - you're symptoms really are just like mine! I have my great days where I'm almost normal and then go downhill all of a sudden.

Another bad day for me today. Been in bed all day, eaten a slice of toast and some plain crackers. Can't handle any more food. Managed to see a different GP today. Turned out to be a supervised trainee doctor, so both were very thorough and I was there over an hour. Both believe I may have Helicobacter Pylori so I'm going for more blood tests tomorrow and then I have another appointment with the same GP next Weds. I kind of hope it is H.Pylori because at least then I can have treatment for it. Dr has signed me off work for a minimum of 10 days which will help greatly with the stress. She's also doubled my dose of Omeprazole and given me a different anti-emetic called Domperidone.

I did request to be referred for an endoscopy but the GP wants to wait for the blood results first. The minimum time for an "urgent" endoscopy here in North Wales is SIX MONTHS!!! Ridiculous. So delaying a referral by one week won't make much difference.

I'm going to try and get up later for some food. For now, though, just gonna lie here feeling really sorry for myself!

• Posted

Don't sound good Dec I can't even recommend what food might help or makes it worse cos I really don't know myself.

6 months is a joke!! Is it expensive to go private where you live? That really is bad having to wait that long. Like you say hopefully blood test results tell you something. I was tested for that H pylori but came back negative so was none the wiser.

Hope you start to feel better soon mate.

• Posted

Hi

6 months...crazy...

My GP said that the H.Pylori test had to be a stool test and that they didn't take blood tests anymore for it!. they haven't let me know the results yet so will have to phone again.....why are they all so different..one says blood tests the other doesn't..

I felt a bit better today and then stupidly had some crisps as I was so hungry ..now my stomach really hurts and I have been so careful too for so many weeks......

I hoped mine was H.P too but I have a feeling it is my gallbladder or pancreas..Have any of you had a scan of your gallbladder? i was surprised that I had gall stones...

Hope you feel better tomorrow all of you

• Posted

I had blood test and stool sample taken but I think they got H pylori results from stool sample. Might be good news if they do test positive for this for you Val, because at least you know what it is/ needs to be done to hopefully fix it.

Well the last day or two has been up and down. Not sure yet but have a feeling black pepper doesn't help my situation. I normally have salads in my sandwich maybe with ham or cheese or tuna or whatever but have been experimenting leaving this out. Think it might have been helping anyway just had simple beef sandwich other day but added bit of black pepper for flavour and have been in pain since.

Getting fed up with it all now if I'm honest. 😞

• Posted

Funnily enough, Val, the trainee Doctor I saw yesterday wasn't aware she could test H.pylori in blood - she was under the impression it could only be done via breath test or stool sample. I've just been for the blood test and even the phlebotomist was confused regarding what kind of blood test to do and which bottle to put it in. She spent ages phoning the local hospitals for advice; typically no one answered so she just went with what she thought was logical and said if it's wrong she'll take responsibility, bless her.

Felt horrific this morning but have managed to perk up a bit. Eaten 2 apples and a ham sandwich today. Read on another site that "Mastic Gum' is supposed to be excellent for digestion and - apparently - can treat H.pylori itself. Going to get some later and start trying it, got nothing to lose.

Another week before I get the results. Let's hope they can pinpoint something.

Tel - I have read that tomato isn't good for your stomach if you've got digestive problems so could be a good thing if you're leaving this out from your sarnies.

Val -.will question the Dr next week about gall bladder and pancreas problems if my other tests are negative. I've enquired about going private for an endoscopy just out of interest....around £1,500. Not as much as I thought, but still a lot.

Hope today is going well for you all. smile

• Posted

Not to bad today thanks Dec, was bit miserable last night. £1500 is a lot of money but if it helps rectify problem/move things along quicker maybe it's worth considering, still can't get over the 6 month waiting list that is crazy!!! Maybe you need to go visit your mum on her lunch break for free check haha.

Just out of interest do any of you get feeling like dull ache underneath your rib cage. I have felt this few different times and sometimes can be on my left side sometimes my right - very strange almost like someone sticking finger just below rib cage. Maybe I'm just falling apart pure by piece haha.

• Posted

I know this was over year ago.. but I'm in the same boat, all the same symtoms including the rib pain,I'm overweight and have lost about 2 stone told my doctor and he said "good" but I'm worried, I can only eat small portions and some days won't eat at all because I emotionally cant risk it as I have Emetophobia (phobia or vomit). I've had a ultrasound and it's all clear, I'm abit lost right now

• Posted

Hey, i totally get where youre coming from. I have the same pain. The doctors dont exactly know how what to do because im considered to be too young for acid reflux. Have you found anything out?

• Posted

Hy Tyler,

I have the same symptoms as you have. Especially the rib pain. I feel bloated and tired, especially a while after I've eaten. We're you able to find out what caused it?

• Posted

Hi.....isnt there something in the NHS that says you have the right to treatment in a set timescale? It seems wrong that you have to pay out money for an investigation.

Re pain Terry, mine is there most of the time in my upper stomach but also i get odd pin pricks of pain under my ribs...

I heard from the surgery today that the Dr wanted to see me re test results....I wanted to see the consultant as i don't want to be fobbed off but I think I might be...or if there is news I would rather it be from the consultant...anyway the Dr is not in til next week! So I will g o to the drop in Friday...I want to know! have been so tired too and this blessed pain never stops..sometimes it is sharp but usually nagging..haven't eaten much again....getting really hung up about what I can eat now....never thought of it before..always been an OK weight.

Hope you both get some sleep tonight.

• Posted

Does the pain/feeling sick keep any of you awake at night? I look forward to bed time because when I'm asleep I'm not bothered by anything. Tend to pop my earphones in and listen to gentle music and I sleep really well - as of yet, haven't woken up through the night feeling unwell.

Can't say I've had that pain, Tel. I do get chest pain when I'm stressing out over things...working for the ambulance service I tend to monitor that frequently, timing it and noting any other symptoms etc. Doesn't appear to ring any alarm bells as of yet.

Spoke to my Mum earlier. She said although the GP advised it is a 6-month wait, it is highly unlikely I would ever have to wait that long and sometimes it only takes a couple of weeks. That's better! Also, the consultants said if ever I'm referred there then they would bump me up the list....there has got to be some perks having family working in that department, eh? One of the consultants said my symptoms don't just sound as though they are limited to digestive problems and if the H.Pylori test is negative then I should be checked for pancreas functions and Addison's Disease (??!!). Interesting. Hopefully it's none of them!

I feel brilliant right now. Watching TV. Managed to eat a vegetable curry (no spice) with rice and a mince pie. I got the Mastic Gum. 120 capsules for £21!! Instructions say to take 4 tablets at bedtime for 4 weeks, and then 2 tablets every night from then on. I'll let you know if they make a difference.

• Posted

No its better at night for me too.......

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.