What’s wrong with my feet?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

So, for the past few weeks I've had a constant ache in my right foot, sometimes in my left (it switches often). It's kind of like a heavy feeling, sometimes I get pins and needles, sometimes there's a stabbing feeling but there's no pain. I went to the out of hours doctor and she did my blood pressure and said nothing about it and checked the pulse in my right foot and said that it was good. She said that it was nerve entrapment but that didn't make sense to me as the pain was in both feet, but I am not a doctor so I don't know if it's possible to get nerve entrapment in both feet. The pain went away for a few days so I cancelled my doctors appointment, believing i would be fine (now regretting this massively) and went on with my life, only for it to reappear a few days ago.

I've down the awful thing of googling it and peripheral neuropathy is coming up and the word diabetes is mentioned a lot of the time. I'm only 18, and only my grandfather has diabetes and even then, he's step so it's not blood. I'm not the skinniest but I am in the process of loosing weight - I am around 12 stone the last time I checked.

Is there a chance it could be diabetes or peripheral neuropathy?

Symptoms include; aching, heavy feeling, sometimes a burning pain but not often, stabbing pain but with no feeling - almost like a pulse if that makes any sense.

It should also be noted that both my mum and sister suffer from restless leg syndrome so I thought it could be that but RLS only occurs at night - at least that's what I think.

Any information or advice would be appreciated. I'm going to ring the doctors on Monday morning and they will probably hate me but I can't keep panicking like this.

Thank you in advance.

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i should also note that i am able to walk perfectly fine

• Posted

it sounds very familiar..

Exactly which parts of your feet hurts. Toes included..?

• Posted

its so hard to explain. it just aches and aches all over the place, mostly the ankle and the side of the foot if that makes sense. i ended up going to the hospital today and she took my blood and said that i didnt have diabetes which was brilliant news, she thinks it might be something to do with my nerves and that i have to see my doctor.

• Posted

Have you been sent to have a nerve test done o. your legs and feet to see if you might have neuropathy I have diabetes and a form of neuropathy and my neuropathy was getting worse and they say it is so severe that it's a form of a Autoamunine disease and I was recently diagnosed with another Autoimmune disease called Mononeuritis it is where it affect multiple nerves and basically my body is attacking its self it is so bad that it cause me to get drop foot in my right foot and the doctor said it mostly can happen to my left foot and other joints .so you may want to ask your doctor to send you to a neurologist who specializes In these conditions and test you .

• Posted

went to an out of hours doctor and she tested for diabetes and said that i didnt have it so that was good news. going to my doctors soon to see what they can do and hopefully i will be sent off for some tests. until then, its just going through different pain reliefs until i find something that works.

• Posted

It does sound like either nerve entrapment or neuropathy which can occur without having diabetes. I have neuropathy due to injuries. You could ask for a nerve conduction test. My doctor offered me low dose anti depressants which I refused because of the potential side effects. I tried natural remedies instead which don't work; the only thing that does help is hot weather; cold weather triggers it. There isn't a cure; only pain management. Some people find TENS machines good.

I find accepting the neuropathy and ignoring it when it flares up, the best solution for me because I know it is permanent and any relief will be temporary and worrying about will not make it better.

• Posted

it is most likely Neuropathy and you don't have to have Diabetes to get it can start in 1 foot then go into the other foot and your feet can be numb but you can still feel the burning and tingling it's weird your feet are numb but you can feel the pain it's weird and taking gabapentin does not help much .

I take pain pill to help me it helps but recently just started getting these treatmeants called IVIG

it is blood plasma with Octogram .

I get my treatment once a month it takes 5 hour to administer thru a IV

it cost 10,000 a month it's hard to get insurances to cover it they say you have to have leukemia but I had a pharmcy that fought for me because I get alot of infections and antibiotics and my immune system is low and this treatmental will help with the neuropathy and different conditions . have your doctor check to see if you have a form of neuropathy and to rule out Mononeuritis. they would have to do a nerve test to if your nerves are responding to the electrical currents ts they measure the the response I had just learn about Mononeuritis when they did test on me .my neuropathy has progressed and will continue to do so since it is a form of Autoimmune disease I hope you find some answers and don't accept we don't know and here is a pill or pass you off to doctor after doctor that's what happen to me that's why I am where I am today with my health because so .any doctors failed me but thank God I found a new new doctor a neurologist she is a Angel and she ran every test to finally diagnosis me with 2 autoimmune disease .

• Posted

been having naproxens (i believe thats what they are called) until i am able to see the doctor and they help a lot. lets just hope and pray that something gets sorted out. thank you.

• Posted

luckily, i live in the UK so healthcare is free so at least that is covered if it is that. the doctor i saw yesterday ruled out a lot of stuff and i cant for the life of me remember what she said. i hope you get well soon or at least feel better and i will keep you all updated. i just feel useless because its so hard for me to explain whats wrong and i feel like the doctors are starting to hate me. thank you again.

• Posted

I got a diagnosis of nerve pain after a nurse botched my blood test so I know the cause. The pain came on immediately after the test and while it did improve, it never fully healed. My other arm got nerve damage too after falling on my elbow forty years ago. My doctor was very competent so I trusted his diagnosis. The only thing that disappointed me was him only offering anti depressants and nothing else. He didn't offer tests because he gave me a definitive diagnosis that didn't need confirmed.

I was delighted I wasn't given tests because enough damage has already been done to my arm and I would have to go to the hospital to get testing done by competent staff. I don't trust the nurses at my surgery.I

It would be just far too stressful for me and would aggravate my IBS which started three months after the blood test. I was also advised by a doctor to have no further blood tests or procedures done on the arm.

This is why putting up with the neuropathy and relying on hot weather to get rid of the pain and tingling is the best option for me.

• Posted

went to the doctors today, shes going to run some blood tests and see what comes back before doing anything else.

• Posted

I am surprised painkillers work for your symptoms because peripheral neuropathy tends not to respond to standard painkillers. Maybe it is something else that is causing it such as a vitamin B 12 deficiency.

• Posted

im taking naproxen which i think is stronger, i'm not quite sure though.

• Posted

just an update: i had to go to the doctors for an injection and i asked the nurse about my results and she said that i have low iron levels so i presumming its anemia. thank you everyone for helping me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.