WHAT SHOES HAVE HELPED YOU THROUGH RECOVERY

Posted , 9 users are following.

Sorry to keep posting but I have so many questions.

whilst you were n recovery what shoes do you wear.  Before the op I wore pronation support trainers, they have a built up bit on the inside middle of the shoe to stop your foot from turning inwards. I'm not sure now if this is helping as my foot is turning outwards.

Does anyone else have experience of shoes that worked well for them

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've  ended up in flip flops. I find i walk naturally and i listen out for the flapping sound to make sure I'm doing heel

-toe instead of sliding my foot. 

Trainers are good but didn't benefit  me 

• Posted

And you're having hot weather done under. I think my toes would fall off at the moment in the uk if I wore flip flopslol
    • Posted

I bought some sketchers with memory foam and slip on, inbetween a trainer and a shoe. They are a godsend! I live in. UK so unable to wear flip flops. They are supportive too. Hope this helps 
    • Posted

Haha yes! I thought about that after i sent! 

We wear flip flops (thongs) all year round! smile 

• Posted

Thanks I will look into those. Did they have a particular name ?
    • Posted

Really do you feet not get cold?

Do the thongs have any sort of cushioning on the sole 

• Posted

It's always hot smile 

Even in winter its about 16 degrees in the morning and warms up. 

Depends what make you buy but good ones have good support. Very comfy wink 

I hate to hear people dragging their feet in them though - a sort of  shuffle. rolleyes

• Posted

Women's relaxed fit breathe easy sketchers. Believe me they are so comfy. Even got praise from physio for such suitable shoes. They are not clumpy either, very light and look quite good. Think I paid £40 or £50. Hope this helps. 
  • Posted

Same as Suzi, I'm either in bare feet, flip flops or Teva sandals. Very hot in Sydney!
    • Posted

Wellie sand trainers here.

I would have thought barefoot would hurt your knee if your foots not being supported

• Posted

I have flat feet (ankle bones never fully developed), which is where my knee problems stem from. I find that I walk better in bare feet as I try harder to make the foot go through the correct step technique. Better sensory awareness in the foot.

My shoes with orthotics just make me lazy.wink

• Posted

We were intended to go barefoot after all. Shoes can cause all sorts of problems if they don't fit correctly. That includes shape  of sole and inner. 

smile 

• Posted

I think we were also originally meant to walk on spongy jungle floor but now we mainly walk on concrete. But I get your point shoes are not fitted individually. So there's always going to be problems. Have you ever heard of the Vibram shoes. They are like gloves but for the feet
    • Posted

It's funny isn't our feet and knees take on so much just takes one little thing and their out of sync. You must have had a tough time with your feet and legslegs
    • Posted

It hasn't been so bad, it's amazing how the body adapts. It's only really the past six months or so that my active lifestyle and also my habit of disregarding knee dysfunction is catching up with me; hence the surgery rolleyes.

My right knee probably has another couple of years before it will also require surgery. I'll put it off as long as I can.

• Posted

Hi Jodi,

I am the same as you flat feet from birth. In the house and doing my physio always bare feet, when I am out, trainers with orthotic inserts ( I was fitted with inserts to overcome plantar fasciitis, that was no fun either), the surgeon said the flat feet could have had an impact on the knees. I had arthroscopy on the left one and it is good at the moment, and 2 arthroscopys on the right leading to the knee replacement, which in reality has gone really well, inspite of the early feelings of pain and despair up to the fourth week when changes seemed to start. I think being in Perth (Oz) in the heat also helps although the 44 derees C this week was a bit over the top  smile It's 9th week post op tomorrow and I am able to do most of the things I want do as long as I am not stupid and overdo it and everyday I can see small improvements but realistically it will be 6 months to get to where we all want to be: Waking up in the morning andthe first thing that happens is not having your knee remind you of what you had done to it. Good progress to everyone.

Regards Paul

• Posted

Thanks Paul and same to you. You've been through a lot!

44 is a bit much, I don't envy you that!

I'm 5 weeks post op from Tibial Tuberosity transfer, lateral release, arthroscopy and capsulorrhaphy. Down to a single crutch if I'm out and about for more than an hour, but mostly walking around ok (albeit slowly). I've also been driving again for the last week, which is a huge relief. Just really frustrated at the lack of flexion, I can only manage about 120 degrees; but my Osteo tortures me three times a week and he's happy with my progress so I guess that's ok. I'm just impatient.

• Posted

Jodi, 

A normal knee average maximum bend is about 130 degrees said my physio this week and he signed me off at 120. So I think you are worrying unecessarily so keep up thee good work to get the muscles back strong.

Regards Paul.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.