What should I be doing/getting before THR? Any hints and tips?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Thanks to advice on this forum I have now decided to have a THR. Just wondering what I should be doing or getting ready before the surgery? Any things I should be getting to aid my recovery or make things a little easier?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sinead,

I am just on 6 weeks post op. I agree with everyone, and will add a few other things I found helpful too:

Headphones and /or ear plugs for the hospital (will help you rest when there's a lot of distracting noises)

A hip pillow - i found mine on Amazon, just search for one. This separates your knees, and helps you sleep on your side (in addition to double pillows between your legs) without crossing the midline. I also use mine to raise my ankle when I am on my back.

Ice packs. I didn't know about this one, sent my husband out for one as invaluable after a few physio exercises. I'd actually suggest 2, so that you always have a cold one.

I found this forum so helpful and continue to use it in my recovery, so do keep us informed on your progress.

All the very best to you

Caron

• Posted

Hi Sinead

I think Rose has covered most things. A table next to where you will sit on return home so you can have all your meds, tissues, books, remote control etc I borrowed a tea trolley! Loose undies or go commando as anything slightly tight aggregates the wound! And as Rose said get everything done at home before you go as you really won't feel like it afterwards. Dry hair shampoo is great as you can't shower for a while. My daughter washed mine when I got home but it was hard work. Plenty of treats and snacks as your appetite won't be great at first.

Good luck keep us posted

Julie

• Posted

I forgot get your toenails cut and take off polish as you won't get down there again for a while!

Julie

• Posted

good tips!! you say you can't shower for awhile....how long is awhile?

• Posted

Hi Sinead, it depends on the surgery. I had disolvable stitches and my wound was covered over with plastic. I had a shower in hospital on day 2, before I came home. I was lucky.
    • Posted

I showered every day from day one as I have a walk in shower....if you have a walk in shower you will be fine. You won't be able to climb in or out of a bath for a little while. 

If you have a shower, order some shower floor mats (around four) and cover the whole of the shower in non slip mats and one for outside. You will also need someone with you. A towel ready and be prepared not to rush.

I went into the shower with my crutches, and then got showered, and then slowly came out - my husband would wipe the crutches completely dry and then I would dry off, put some fresh clothes on. It took a little while but was worth it.

Loose undies is a must as Julie said, as you might be a little swollen. 

I bought a she-pee as well, for the moments when I just couldn't get to the loo in time or very early days. The effort to get to the loo and you need to go alot for some reason was vast. So if you have one of those try it out a few times before your surgery, you need to 'master' the art!! 

Get your hair coloured, cut and one last thing...

DO visit the dentist now and get your teeth cleaned etc. That really will be a the bottom of your to do list for a while smile

• Posted

I guess we all get different advice I had dissolvable stitches too but was told to wait until dressing was removed by nurse at surgery which was 10 days. She checked for any infection and made sure it was dry and well healed. I went straight home and jumped in the shower - well ok I didn't jump! It was bliss

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.