What should I expect during recovery from cystocele and rectocele surgery?

Posted , 79 users are following.

I've facing surgery in a week and have reservations.  Would like to know how others have recovered.  

4 likes, 192 replies

192 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Mrytle, I had the same surgery on Feb 4 of 2015 and I can tell you that it takes much longer than what the doc says to recover.  Give yourself time, lots of time, to get back to "normal".  Rest, rest and more rest is needed, especially for the first 8 weeks.  I hope you have help following your surgery because you won't feel like doing much and your body won't either!  I wish you all the best!

• Posted

I had my surgery a year ago. Rectocele, vaginal suspension and a full hysterectomy. It was done here in Indiana. They used the DaVinci robot. I had very little pain, I only took one pain pill. I could be just one of the lucky ones, but I was surprised. Yes, I had discomfort, but basically I didn't experience a lot of pain. I listen to my doctor, watched my diet. No red meat, lots of veges and took my stool softener as advised. In fact I had a bowl movement the second I got home. That was my biggest fear.

So just try to relax, be prepared with everything you need. Have some help if you can. I didn't have much help at all, but I did have visitors who stopped by.

• Posted

Pam where are you from and what kind of doctor operated on you?
    • Posted

I live in Fort Wayne, IN. I had two doctors, one a gynecologist that did the hysterectomy, not vaginally. The other was a urogynocologist, he did the vaginal repair. Both doctors used the robot. I was left with 5 tiny incisions in my belly from the hysterectomy. I must say I have a pretty good pain tolerance. I surprised myself. The night I had to spend in the hospital I never hit the morphine button. The doctors were shocked.
    • Posted

Having 2 different surgeries is very common but in the UK it's usually the same consultant (a urogynaecologist) who would do both of them. You were lucky regarding pain but some ladies don't complain and sail through their post op recovery. They are the lucky ones.

• Posted

what is a DaVinci robot? is that the fibre optic laparoscopic operation ? did y ou have a mesh inserted? I watched a film of the op an there is far less bleeding with laparoscopic approach, Can you still have sexual intercourse? is it ok?

• Posted

I had rectocele surgery last April. I had one night in hospital. A pack is put in th evagina at the end of sugery and a catheter also. This is removed after 24 hrs and once I was weeing ok - three good wees that were measured and an ultrasound to see if the bladder was emptying ok I was ok to go home. I had very little pain. I think I took a couple of paracetemol when in hospital and probably only a few when home. I was prescribed lactulose and movicol for two weeks so ensure no straining. I am always careful with my diet anyway so constipation is not an issue.

?THe bruisong and swelling is considerable - it is uncomfortable but for me not painful. I could sit and lie down ok. Standing was an issue but i could walk ok too. Recovery takes a long time. I was signed off by the surgeon for 6 weeks an dthe GP signed me off for another 6. I didn't have a phased return to work though - I only work 3 days. I did have a weeks holiday before my return (which had already been booked) so I was off for 13 weeks. Truly I didn'y feel it was painful as such - the bruising is a bit brutal - but that goes. At week 3 of recovery you will worry, at week 5 you will be convinced it has failed. Do not worry over this as it seems to be something everybody goes through. It does get better. BUt rest, rest, rest. Get some help at home - no lifting, hanging out washing etc. No lifting heavy pans of water. I could feel the pull on th ewound when I lifted anything over 2kg or a 2l bottle in the forst few weeks - so don't! Yes it seems a bit pathetic carrying on bottle of water at a time but don't over exert on this.

?It's ok   - you will be fine 

• Posted

‘At week 3 of recovery you will worry, at week 5 you will be convinced it has failed. Do not worry over this as it seems to be something everybody goes through. It does get better’ 

Just going through this now. 4 weeks on Wednesday. 

• Posted

I am wk 5 also and it’s been ok so far.  No pain just really bad discomfort. But today I feel like I have something scratching inside.  There’s been trace amounts of blood also today.  I’m assuming it’s the stitches.  Also more pressure than there’s been since week one.  But I have to agree  the start of my week 5 isn’t starting off so great!! Was wondering if it failed too because of these feelings. 
    • Posted

Discomfort not pain all the way for me. Week 5 has been particularly uncomfortable especially by the evening.  Really tight pinching stitch at entrance at bottom of posterior repair making sitting not getting . Slightly less swelling I think. But that is probably as I am back on ibuprofen in the day. So starts to feel a bit less worried. 🤞. 

• Posted

I had rectocele and spincterplasty. It's been just over two weeks. Still get very uncomfortable especially in the evening. Still on pain meds. I am taking stool softener daily as I became constipated one day and thought I was going to die. There are still small amounts of blood. I can't sit or stand/walk for too long. I actually prefer laying on my side. I quickly became depressed over this recovery. It was far different than I expected.

• Posted

Thank you for your frankness & honesty, especially your bravery; we are here for you. Keep us informed....my surgery is Aug 7. Just found out.

• Posted

I'm fcur weeks on Tuesday and can absolutely relate to this post. The fear of the surgery failing is on going. Hope we all come through this surgery successfully.

• Posted

I am at week 3

of rectocele sphincter and hemorrhoidectomy surgery. I am very concerned with the pain level. I'm not sure on what type of pain meds I should be on because the doctor is very concerned about any kind of opioid use as well as he should be. But ibuprofen is not cutting it. Somebody please give me some kind of time line or expectations on pain timeline, then I know when the end is coming. My pain ranges from my tailbone and extreme discomfort after BM, warm baths aren't seem to work anymore. I'm getting very depressed about the pain. Any insight would be helpful

• Posted

I only had rectocele repair and the pain was very managable on just over the counter paracetamol and I only needed it for a couple of days. I suspect having the hemorrhoidectomy as well must increase the pain for you quite a bit. Your doctor does not seem to have been very helpful - is not ibuprofen an anti inflammatory rather than a painkiller? I think you should speak to him again. The concern of overprescribing drugs is understandable but you have had major surgery and need the support to recover from it.

Im sorry I dont have any answers for you but just wanted to offer support really. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

I'm am curious as to why you think it failed? Wondering if your reasons are the same as mine

• Posted

Hi Lisa - explain your pain level. I was given a bottle of oramorph to bring home. I have only had one 5ml dose but I have it just in case. Maybe you could get your dr to prescribe one. I was warned not to try to deal with pain but to treat it nd keep on top of it for a quicker recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.