What should I expect during recovery from cystocele and rectocele surgery?

Posted , 79 users are following.

I've facing surgery in a week and have reservations.  Would like to know how others have recovered.  

4 likes, 192 replies

192 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Mrytle I had my op at the end of Sept 2016, I was extremely tired but heeded the advice I was given and rested alot. The end result is what we are all wanting which is a repaired "self". Its a major operation so dont expect too much from yourself. Its a little chapter in our "book of life" so take the time to heal. Time off work ( if you work) honestly if you are back to work after 7 or so weeks it seems you are doing very well and even then you are probably going to be on very light duties. I now understand that its about 12 to 18 months to recover ? fully and even then going forward its no heavy lifting. Pelvic Floor excercises are a must. The best thing of all is that you are here with us on this forum so as you go forward you can ask questions and our lovely girls will help you all the way as you will help others that come our way xxx  you will be ok welcome to our forum kind regards Kath 

• Posted

Hi Cookienz...I ha a rectocele a cestocele and a bladder sling done at the same. Two implants are now "hanging" from my posterior tendons. The pain is tolerable but the frustration of not being able to do much is the worse part for me. You should definitely demand that you get at least a month supply of 800 mgs of Ibuprofen from your Doctor. I had a female OB-GYN and she understood and was very clear about the pain part. This is no joke. Be patient that's all I can say and rest and rest.

• Posted

hey there i see you had the sameting done that i will be having 2morrow 08/06/18 i love to hear from you do i need a pillow to sit on ?and how is your sex life with the sergery are you ok better are wroser.thank sorry i can spell well but i would like to hear from you. cause you had the samething that i will be going throu.

• Posted

Mrytle

Do you know what approach they are using for your surgery? I had mine done laparoscopically so 5 little cuts in my tummy. I had an epidural during surgery so didn't have much pain straight after. Obviously when that wore off I did have some pain particularly when getting out of bed but that was controlled with codeine and paracetamol.

Post op you do feel REALLY tired so rest and you really mustn't do much more than that! It's pretty frustrating not being able to drive, lift, cook or do anything but it's very important.

I'm now coming up for 9 weeks post op and just building up how far I drive. I'm due to go back to work at the beginnings no of February.

as far as the op goes, my bladder is now functioning perfectly, no more leaning forward to get the flow going. My bowels are a bit sluggish as the muscles don't feel like they work but the surgery was successful as far as putting everything back were it should be.

good luck with your surgery

• Posted

did you have any mesh put in place? if so what kind? are you able to have sexual intercourse after? is it ok?

seems there is much less pain with a laparoscipic procedure than vaginaly, are you inUSA?

I am in Canada and trying to find someone who will do the laparascopic approach.

• Posted

Go to the Genitourinary Prolapse home page and read the South Tees Information in the Useful Resources section.
  • Posted

Hi Mrytle,

I've had same surgery 3 1/2 month ago, it was a great success, recovery was very slow, unpleasant, felt like someone shoved a ball of barbwire inside me, moving, walking was very dificult for about 4 weeks, couldn't sit , was just laying down or very slowly walking, stitches were pocking inside and out. Six weeks later was much better, I had to go back to work, but nothing heavy to lift, push or pull.

Now I feel fantastic, just great, all my organs are back where they belong and even tighter than ever, I feel so confident as a woman again. Good luck,  my darling, and I hope that you will be as happy  i am.

Let me know after your surgery how it went.

Best regards

• Posted

Hi Sheba,

What kind of surgery did you have and how did they do it?

• Posted

Myrtle I love your description of post op experience because that's exawhat it is like. I remember it well!

• Posted

Thank you Sheba for your recovery description.....especially the barbed wire comment. Ha!  Recovery for me is very painful.  Can't sit, can't stand, and currently using a walker because each step feels like I am lighting off a million nerve endings in my lower right butt cheek.  Ha!  Poo-ing has been nearly impossible and did require a trip back to the ER to clean me out. (Soft diet,too!).  I just had the surgery a week ago.  I do feel that the description given to me that I will feel like I just gave birth is grossly inadequate.  Doctor (a sweet and lovely gal) promises it will get better and I hope she is right, but right now, whew, four to six weeks for recovery seems a bit not enough.   Does it truly get better?    (Laid up in S.W. Ohio)

• Posted

God the same for me, I can't sit down at all my stitches are so painful. I had surgery 5 days ago and I'm forced to either lie on my side in bed or stand for short periods of time. How long does this last? X

• Posted

Thank you for your comment.  It brings a strange comfort just knowing that the way I currently feel physically is, apparently, not out of what is ordinary for this surgery.  Dear friends and family are trying to help and I so appreciate their offerings.  Although there is much pain, especially the nerve pain that feels like someone hammered a nail into my (butt-bone), I think my greatest issue is frustration.  You are right on stating that all that is physically possible is basically lying down.  Even then the pain remains.  The doctor promises it will get better.  I have no reason not to trust her but, for me, the greatest hope comes from women who have already won this battle.
    • Posted

Day 8 for me and I'm feeling all the same issues. Bored, sore and for one miss just being able to sit my duff!

• Posted

Oh Redhead63 so sorry for you sweetie. I took lots of stool softeners and ate lots of leafy vegetables and I made myself drink at least 40 to 80 ounces of water a day and no problems with my vowels. I hope you get better. I'm starting my 3rd week and now I still have pain on my right cheek but it is what it is. Hugs.

• Posted

Me too.Had mine in July..feel great..but some positions during sex is still a little uncomfortable

dont worry just take your time.  AND NO LIFTING!,,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.