What should I expect during recovery from cystocele and rectocele surgery?

Posted , 79 users are following.

I've facing surgery in a week and have reservations.  Would like to know how others have recovered.  

4 likes, 192 replies

192 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Mrytle, I had my operation almost four weeks ago and I feel great.  Yes I had an infection right after the op but nursing staff were quick to spot my high temperature and quickly did a few tests and got me on antibiotics straight away.

?I am following all the instructions and taking it easy and I think that is all you can do after your operation.

?I was scared to have it done after what I read online however in my case it wasn't as bad as I expected.

Good luck and keep positive.

• Posted

Hello maisydo,  I am sorry you experienced an infection after surgery but it sounds like you ad an excellent nursing staff.   What you describe in you recovery, apparently, is the normal physical response according to my doctor.  The severe butt-bone pain only happens in about 4% of patients; generally those of fair skin and reddish hair tones.  Oh, bother!  She could have told me about this possibility before I had surgery, but them I probably would have assumed the worst and chickened out.  It has been almost three months and .......yes, now I can say the surgery was a good thing.  Life is more back to normal.
  • Posted

It's 3 am and 10 days before my scheduled surgery. I am terrified and was considering canceling the surgery so I thought I'd check out what people said about the surgery online. After reading all the posts in the thread I feel somewhat better knowing everything would be fixed but afraid of the journey. I'm 49 and having the rectocele, hysterectomy and bladder sling all at once. This will be my second bladder sling being put in. Do you all feel it is worth it?

• Posted

Hello,   You are having a lot done in one operation.  I have experienced all three but over several years.  My latest was the rectocele.  It is late July and my surgery was mid April.  The first month was rough but each day brought a little more healing.  Between 6 and 8 weeks was when I really started to feel more like myself.  These past several months I do not even think about the surgery anymore.  I do not worry about fecal accidents or if I will make it to the bathroom in time.  For me, although the recovery was more than I expected, in hindsight it was a good choice.  I am 54 and had my hysterectomy, oopherectomy, and bladder repair when I was 27.  Take it slow in recovery......even when you feel all is healed and perfectly fine.  Give yourself permission to lay around and rest.  You will heal more thoroughly and quickly that way.
    • Posted

Hi. I was wondering how your surgery went. Hopefully you are feeling better. I am 48 and will be having a rectocele and cystocele repair in 2 weeks. I had a hysterectomy 9 years ago. I am nervous and am concerned about the recovery and having to go back to work. I am on my feet for 8 hrs a day and do a fair amount of lifting.
  • Posted

Can I ask how long you all took prescribed pain meds? I was sent home after one night in the hospital with ten Percocet 5mg/325. One pill every six hours. 

Firstly, that alone was very poor pain relief. And now it's been two days of only over the counter meds (Tylenol, Ibuprofen or Naproxen). I'm doing everything my doctor has told me, drinking lots of water, walking every hour, Miralax, fiber, probiotics, heat and ice. But it just seems a bit cruel to refuse a patient pain meds after major surgery! I had a recectole repair, lengthening of the Peronism, bladder sling, and a few other details fixed up. I'm on day 5 post-op. 

Did anyone else experience this? From my research, it seems higher doses at 4hr intervals is most common...and for much longer than three days!!

• Posted

I am 3 weeks post op from cystocele and rectocele. Given Norco 5/325 and ibprophen 600. I also take stool softener. I'm with you about the refusing of the pain meds. My instructions were to rotate between the norco & ibprophen every 4 hours. That helped but not as much as I needed it to. I was able to get a refill on the ibprophen 600. I've been trying not to take them as much. Especially since BM has been a bit more difficult. I planned on going back to work next week but honestly don't feel ready. Standing to long, sitting to long is painful. towards the end of the day walking is rough. I don't do much. I trying to stay off my feet but make sure to move around every hour.

Stitches in the perineom area are very irritating. I worry I may need the sling. I also worry that sneezing may have caused things to be worse for my recovery. Seasonal allergies. I take allergy meds but in California and it's harvest time nearby. I'm 36 and honestly felt like I was going to bounce back like Wonder Woman. A bit frustrated with the fact that I'm still in pain.

• Posted

I have taken as few of the percocet (prescribed) as I possibly can as they scare me and make me 'drunk'.  I did take them on time as needed but have cut myself down to 1/2 of one only when necessary.  I have 800 mg Ibuprofen that I am taking.  I ran out and have a refill ready for me at the pharmacy.  My friend will be returning with my laundry in a few minutes and I'll ask her to take me to get them or call the pharmacy so she can pick them up.  I'm sorry they did not give you adequate pain meds.  Did you call the doctor's office to request refills?  

• Posted

I had my rectocele surgery, vaginal reconstruction, they tied my vagina up to my sacrum and full hysterectomy in Dec of 2016. All done by a robot in the states. I took one pain pill. Everyone is different. I used stool softeners for 6 weeks post-op, but never had an issue with constipation. Probably because I didn't take pain meds. I took 3 months off work and did exactly what the doctors told me to do.  Don't fret, but do get some help. I prepped meals for weeks and stocked my pantry. I was ready! 

• Posted

?I am 3 weeks post rectocele surgery and was wondering when wold be ok to go back to work. How long did others need? I have a busy full time job and feel so tired I'm wondering whether I will ever make it back?

• Posted

I had my surgery Oct 31st. I'm glad I landed on this site. Thank you for giving a clearer picture of the recovery time.

• Posted

Hi Giggles

I hope you are doing ok? I had a cystocele and rectocele with perineal refashioning on 3rd November. I’m 10 days post op. Fortunately reasonably comfortable but I did a bit of tidying and dusting today and know what people mean by dragging, fullness feeling in the vaginal area.

I have found otherwise I spend my time propped up or lying down in bed so I am not sitting on my perineal area. I can’t sit in a chair comfortably yet.

I’m catching up on emails letters and preparing next years paperwork for our business.

I just hope time passes to be able to get on with life but I am determined not to compromise a successful surgery. 

I hope you too are doing ok 😀

• Posted

I also forgot to say I find I’m very tired all the time too x
    • Posted

I'm doing a lot better than I was when I first posted.  I had hysterectomy, cystocele and rectocele, etc. When the surgeon, a urogynecologist says he did a lot of work, there was a lot done.  I am blessed to have had friends from church and other parts of my life that have brought food and walked my dog.  Everyone is shocked when they find out what I had done and how long the recovery period is.  I am still in pain but dr's office said it's normal. It could last 8 weeks. I even have a young friend that's going to fix my doorbell that's never worked.  

• Posted

I’m so pleased you’re doing better and that you have support and friends around you. It makes a big difference. It’s amazing how people have no idea what this type of surgery entails in terms of recovery! Keep accepting help and take is as gently as possible . Keep us posted x
    • Posted

I have been pleasantly surprised that one acquaintance of mine has shown up twice to help me.  She's a single mother of 2 adopted 4 yr olds.  It's been great to have her and her children here.  A welcome distraction too.  

I've still been shocked to find that my energy is so low.  I'm learning to pace myself.  I can't take jump in the shower and get ready to leave the house in 30 minutes or less.  I can take a shower or get ready.  Relearning how my metabolism works is another hurdle too.  I'm glad that I have until the first of the year to go back to work.  

• Posted

For some reason I am feeling more pain over the last few days than I have is several weeks.  I am glad that I have my '8 week' check tomorrow afternoon. Yesterday I felt a very small spot of a stabbing pain in my upper abdomen along with a 'period type of cramping'.  I'll definitely tell him about it.  I am feeling frustrated about not being able to bend, squat, or pick up more than 10 lbs. I am wanting to go back to work but don't think my body is ready to do so plus I have the week of Christmas off.  

• Posted

Hi Giggles sorry not been on here for a few days. If it’s any consolation I do get s heavy abdomen and bloating plus period style lower abdomen aches when I’ve been in my feet for a while. I take heed and lay down flat to rest my abdomen muscles. 

Have you had your consult yet? I hope you get on okay.

I wouldn’t expect you to be ready to work yet - I certainly couldn’t work. I manage an hour in the kitchen. A little tidying and wrapping a few things and I have done some paperwork but I am still having a good 2-3 hrs in bed every afternoon then I can keep up with my husband in the evening.

Take care and let us know how you got on x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.