What to do?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Have a 67yr old alcoholic husband, who will NOT admit to having drinking problem. Yet, he gets up around 7-8am, has either a large swig from the vodka bottle (hidded by him) or has a couple beers, then goes back to bed! Drinks throughout the day, always hidden from me, and apart from just sleeping his days away,he doesnt have a hangover, or vomits, I mostly know  he has had a drink because he becomes verbally aggressive to me, and shouts and swears. He WONT get help, as he doesnt believe his drinking pattern is wrong, (well not to me anyway)  Ihave been married to him 45 yrs, and nearly 25 of them have been awful. Is there anything I can buy online to give him to curb his drinking?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Deidre, are those 2 drugs you mentioned   (Campral and Selinco) "safe" and are they only available on prescription?
    • Posted

Hi Olivo,

I sent you a big reply but it is being 'moderated' as I mentioned other websites.

Search these forums for Selincro or Nalmefene and look out for anything by Paul who comments a lot on here. He works with Selincro.

• Posted

Hi olvio.....you have been in my thoughts xxx

Yes....you can get them on prescription from you gp..and they are perfectly safe....

Your husband really needs an alcohol specialized nurse.....they are a fantastic to all of you....

There proper name is ..CAS....COMMUNITY ALCOHOL SERVICE...it should be in the teLEPHONE DIRECTORY....

.you can SELF REFER ...IF YOU WISH TO...OR GO THROUGH YOUR GP.....thE only dangerous !!!!# one is CALLED ....ANTABUSE...

it can cause VERY, very , very unpleasant side effects.... SOME WOULD REQUIRE HOSPITAL ADMISSION....

PLEASE, try your utmost !!! To get your husband the help he needs...it can be a QUITE A RAPID DETERIORATION...

He will be scared....horrIFIED of what he has become....scared every single day...full of remorse.....full of self loathing.....a sense of being an utter, hopeless. Failure...

Try to make him realize that he is WORTH SAVING XXX

I truly, truly hope that both of you find peace...good health.....total HAPPINESS... acceptance and TRUE PEACE OF MIND XXX

lots and lots of hugs for you both...in my thoughts..DEIRDRE..xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.