What to do for Grover’s disease rash?.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello, my husband has a very itchy rash and after doing a biopsy it turned out to be Grovers disease. Has anybody else been told that their rash is Grovers and if so what is helping the itchyness ?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My mum has this and UV light benefits it.

• Posted

HI Aceman, thanks for answering. How often does she do the light and did it make the rash worse the first time. My husband is just covered with this rash nothing helps the itch. OK, off to the light.

• Posted

She would get in the sun as often as possible. If your husband burns easily you will need to be very careful. UV exposure has its own risks of course, but it is well recognised as an effective treatment for many itchy and inflammatory skin conditions. https://www.jaad.org/article/S0190-9622(04)01842-0/fulltext

Please let us know how he gets on.

• Posted

HI Aceman, interesting about the sun. when my husband asked the doctor about sitting in the sun, she told him not to because it would cause him to sweat and according to her the rash would get worse. Who's right, who knows. Tomorrow ( Thursday) he is going to see another dermatalogist and maybe have an Ultra light treatment. I will post about that appointment. Blessings----

• Posted

Yes, there are many factors to consider. UV light is proven to benefit a number of skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema. Essentially it dampens the inflammatory immune reaction at the skin surface, hence benefiting conditions like Grover's also. If your husband sweats a lot maybe it will be a problem, but if nothing else has worked it is worth a try. Just be aware of the relatively small risks associated with this sort of approach. I am sure the dermatologist will advise him accordingly.

• Posted

HI Aceman, we went today for his first treatment and itmade the rash worse which we knew it would. He willbe going 3 times a week for 3 weeks. The doctor hopes that things will be better. You mentioned a slight risk, what would that be. My husband does not sweat alot either. I had read that some doctors give an antibiotic, have you heard of that. Grovers could be some type of fungus or perhaps a parasite, interesting. Right now he says his skin itches and burns, wow what a terrible skin diesease.

• Posted

A risk in terms of skin cancer, but overall it is a small increase. Fingers crossed it starts to, improve.

• Posted

Hi aceman, heres the latest update. Well he had 4 treatments and they burned him!! so he has had to stop treatment. After the 2nd treatment he developed a blood clot in his right lower leg. On monday we will be going to the GP because has developed Edema in his left leg and right arm. He still is all broken out and has intense itching along with his skin feeling like its on fire.

I questioned the dermatologist about just treating him with an antibodic used for this Grovers rash when the light treatment doesnt work but she still insists for the light treatment. I will let you know more when I get some answers. The burn is just not on top of the skin but I think its further down. Its been a week since a treatment and his arms and lower legs are still showing signs of being burned. we have been using a burn cream. Not sure if that has caused the edema, we will know more on Monday.

• Posted

Burned as a result of the UV light? Does he normally burn easily in the sun?

• Posted

we played golf all the timeand over the summer he would just get nice and tan, so, no, he doesnt burn easily. He began to burn after the second treatment, he asked the assistant when he went in for the 3rd. treatment if he should take his treatment and she looked him over and said, you look like grovers should look and they treated him, and then again the 4th. time . As you know, with every treatment they make it a little "more light " so they just kept turning it up, also he was only in the Light for seconds. So its been a week and with all the creams and ointment he still has burned looking arms, not as bad.

Please ask your mom if she found any creams, ointments, herbs or prescriptions that helped her with the itching, anything at all. I think we are at the desperate stage, also did she take any antibiodic ? Oh I forgot to mention that he is elderly, has thin skin, bruises easily. They were told all this and before the 3 treatment told again. Incompetence!!!

• Posted

She used prescription body cream containing menthol to cool the itch. Perhaps if he sticks with the treatment it will pay dividends? The professionals need to decide based on experience. I can only assume they know multiple sessions will be needed.

• Posted

They started him off doing 3 times a week. He has not taken a treatment for a week now and I dont think he will be doing at least one this week. His legs, from the knee to his ankles are still looking burned so I think until that clears up and looks better I dont think he will continue. Do you think your mom could let you know the name of the cream she used? All they give him are samples of body cream that you can buy, no RX. This story will continue---later

• Posted

aceman, To continue this story ----- to date, he has seen 4 dermatologist, one physician assistant, his Oncologist and the General Practitioner and the Rheumatologist. Since doing the UV Light treatment ( 6) he has been burned, developed a blood clot in his leg, that dissolved and now he has Edema in both legs. Saw the 4th dermatologist today and he said that the only place he has " Grovers" is on his back and chest. He said that the RASH on is legs and arms is NOT Grovers,!!!! Finally, this doctor took a biopsy of the rash on his arms and now we wait for a week to get the results. While we wait he will not be doing any more treatments. And so the story continues-later.

• Posted

I was just diagnosed with Grover's today and am struggling to learn how to deal with it. Dermatologist prescribed steroid cream for starters but the itching and pain is still intense leading to me being unable to get any sleep or think about anything but itching. Any suggestions?

• Posted

Just wondering is there a dedicated forum or help group for people suffering with Grovers disease ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.