What to do if GP's hospital referral is rejected?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I haven't been diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome, but my optician told me I have extremely dry eyes which are causing me a lot of problems.  I use eye ointment at night and have tried three different eye drops, but still my eyes are sore and one eye, in particular, is quite inflamed.

I saw my GP - I also have Lichen Planus and Rosacea - and he has agreed to refer me to an ophthalmologist.  However, apparently there is a new system whereby my GP's referral may be rejected by a triage panel and, if so, there is nothing he can do.  I'm now worrying what to do if this referral is rejected.  Has anyone else had a rejection regarding a hospital referral?  If so, what did you do?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

No rejection but it sounds like you could benefit from Ikervis eye drops which are prescribed by the hospital. Mine were also swollen and eye drops not helping to much, but I do have Sjorgrens.  If it helps I went to my local optometrist who just happens to have the eye dr from the hospital do the standard eye exams and he faxed through to the hospital straight away.  Do not give up and keep pushing if you have to.

Good luck,

Mandy

Regards,

Mandy

• Posted

Thank you, Mandy.  In fact, I've remembered that my optician is connected to the hospitals in this area - does diabetic tests etc. - so I was thinking that I may go back to see him again if I have to.  Hopefully, it will be fine and I'll get a hospital appointment, but, as this triage thing is a new system, I'm thinking through the worst case scenario.  Thanks again.

• Posted

So sorry to hear about this Cheetah. I always knew the NHS wasn't up to much. I worked for it for 10 years back in what were supposed to be the glory days of the 60s and 70s and frankly it wasn't much cop then either. But I didn't think it had got that bad!

Still, you do get what you pay for - and UK social security contributions from salary are the lowest in Europe. Taxes are pretty low too, on a European scale. Nothing to be done about either, I'm afraid, as the electorate wouldn't stand for a price hike. Even the legendary Mrs. T couldn't get away with that one!

Every country seems to get the health service it deserves. Here we have the reverse problem. We pay 13% social service contributions (vs. 7% in UK last time I looked) and minimum 25-40% tax on salary throughout our working lives, and on top of that we also have to pay a charge at point of service. The latter keeps going up year on year, and everyone moans like crazy about it. I keep trying to explain to my compatriots that the reason for this is the immediate availability of just about any investigation or treatment, which clearly points to wasteful over-capacity.

Last time I was due my two-yearly DEXA scan, I saw my GP at 9am, was given the request form, called my local polyclinic to make the appointment and was told to come along at 11.30am the same day. That's clearly ridiculous. I remarked to my neighbour that I'd be happy to wait six weeks for a routine exam like that, and go to a centralised hospital in town, rather than have it available at a dozen medical centres within walking distance of my house. That way, we might keep costs down a bit. She nearly had a fit - said that would be totally unacceptable!

The ideal health service would fall somewhere mid-Channel, on both price and availability, but neither country's electorate would agree to that. Like I said... the health services we deserve.rolleyes

I hope you get that referral. It's important to get dry eyes seen by an ophthalmologist.

• Posted

Lily, I can only say that Wythenshawe hospital,a centre for several things including heart in S Manchester saved my husband's life from infective endocarditis, septicaemia and dekerium ( no thanks to a dozy GP who missed umpteen pointers). Last March- April.Since then he's had superb treatment and follow up clinics. Presently under a team of Heart Failure clinicians who have a phone number to ring for questions and they ring you back same day. His sleep clinic help line is the same, and they can monitor his bedside equipment from the clinic and change the settings - very Big Brother. And this coming month on the 13th, he is having a pacemaker fitted. He's also had physiotherapy via the Elderly care team and Falls clinic in that time. We know we might be 'lucky' in our area, but I just felt it necessary to give the plus points an airing.

Keep well

Estelle xx 

• Posted

Why worry about a possibility?  Because that's what you're worrying about, just one possible negative outcome.

• Posted

Lease remember that only a rheumatologist can diagnose Sjogren's - an opthmologist may think you have it but Sjogren's is much more than dry eyes. Other autoimmunity such as RA, Lupus, Behcets, Hashimoto's or MS can cause dry eyes without it being Sjogren's - which usually affects the whole system. So really, if you suspect that you have Sjögren's then you need your GP to refer you to rheumatology rather than opthamology - and take blood tests for full blood count plus inflammation plus RF and ANA and thyroid bloods. Opthamologist can always point this out to GP if they suspect Sjogren's - but only positive antibodies or positive lip biopsy can diagnose Sjogren's.  Hope this helps. 

• Posted

Ps sorry for the typo - that should start Please!! 
  • Posted

Thank you all very much for your really interesting and helpful replies.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I do get to see the ophthalmologist without any problems, but I'm sure now that this triage system has become countrywide - apparently it was trialled in the north-east - we will be seeing other comments about it.  I do wonder, Lilly, if people would actually pay more for the NHS if that option was presented in the right way.  I certainly would.  Thanks again, all.  

• Posted

Me too - and I think most tax payers would. 
    • Posted

This one's completely off-topic. Is anyone else in here unable to open new notifications since yesterday (29/09/17)? I can't. I get the notifications but when I click on "Go to discussion" I get an error message.

I can, however, get in through the back door because I can open messages received prior to 29/09. Via those I can go to my recent activity and and access threads like this one, on which I've already commented.

I've already reported this to the site administrator.

• Posted

OK ladies, site defo down. Have reported it. Don't expect response bef 9am Mon UK time.

• Edited

Hi Cheetah, my name is Eve and I am a 14 year old girl dealing with primary sjogrens. I remember when i was getting diagnosed is took me almost a year for them to actually confirm it which was the most annoying thing ever. Unfortunately because its so rare its hard to recognise however they didnt usually turn down a gp appointment so thats a little unfamilliar to me. Hope everything gets sorted.
    • Posted

I found out which Rheumatology consultants in my area of Greater Manchester had SS as a speciality. My GP referred me to her. I initially paid for a private one off consultation and switched to her NHS list. Don't get robbed off by anyone. My GP' doesn't like it when I suggest things to him becausevI have become SS savvy from reading it up on decent websites (Arthritis Research, WebMd uk site ( Boots chemist in reality) and Sjorgrens Syndrome associations. So he usually does as I ask. If you ever get unhappy, ask to see the practice manager. Xx

• Edited

Thank you Eve.  I'm at the other end of the scale - I'm 71 - but I have come across problems in being diagnosed with another condition.  I hope that your Sjorgren's is now under control and that things improve for you.  Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.