What to do if GP's hospital referral is rejected?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I haven't been diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome, but my optician told me I have extremely dry eyes which are causing me a lot of problems.  I use eye ointment at night and have tried three different eye drops, but still my eyes are sore and one eye, in particular, is quite inflamed.

I saw my GP - I also have Lichen Planus and Rosacea - and he has agreed to refer me to an ophthalmologist.  However, apparently there is a new system whereby my GP's referral may be rejected by a triage panel and, if so, there is nothing he can do.  I'm now worrying what to do if this referral is rejected.  Has anyone else had a rejection regarding a hospital referral?  If so, what did you do?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi i also had an uegent referral to see a orthaepedic special ist having waited about six weeks and heard nothing but a letter confirming i was being assessed and to wait until june 14 before contacting them . I contacted them todsy to enquire why i hadnt had a app made and was tokd that i had been assessed from my gps urgent referral and downgraded to a non urgent one .this was explained as because of covid and the backlog .i argued that i had bareky had time during my gp app to explain the problem so how much if tye actual problem had been relayed to them i dont know .i said how can you assess someone if havent seen them in person ? I was very upset and was told i should get in touch with my gp again and get my referral expedited back to urgent . This i cant see as likeiy to get me anywhere .and seeing or speaking to a gp is impossible . If you didnt qualify the first time why would you a second time plus i now feel that i am maybe taking someone's place i dont deserve . Tho. My gp in her opinion agreed to refer me doesn't this question her judgement as a trained medical professional .so what's the point of seeing drs if anything they request is overruled .what a waste of so many peoples time. You hit a brick wall but i guess with the backlog to get through this is their way of dealing with it i have reported this to my dr surgery and am awaiting their response. Things have become very bad. After wsiting montys you find out youre now not able to be treated .options were maybe seeing me by feb 2023 if lucky . .if my condition isnt worse by then i didnt need seeing anyway

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.