What to do if I keep losing weight?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My weight was 97 pounds about a month or so ago and it keeps going down and it’s stressing me out. It had been at 95.6 pounds for the past few days and today it has suddenly dropped down to 93.9 pounds 😰 I’m very concerned and I keep having to rush to the toilet. It’s probably the fact that I keep pooping my food..? 

I’m going to the doctors again tomorrow but so what if we don’t find a solution and I keep dropping..? I don’t want to drop weight to the point my clothes won’t even fit? What will i do? Not get out of the house? 😭I’m so scared. It takes ages to get an appointment as well, I just don’t know what to do, I’m so upset, it’s all i can think of. My fear of being too skinny is over the top today..

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Your being too thin is well taken but the biggest problem you have as I see it is finding out why you are losing weight.  I would get an appt. and have a complete work up at a place like the Mayo Clinic where you would be involved with several doctors.  This is a matter of life and death I feel and you need to be assertive in getting an appointment immediately.  keep us posted as to the outcome.  garnella
    • Posted

Sorry I forgot to mention I’m under 5 feet so my weight right now is okay for my height. I’m going to see my doctor tomorrow as mentioned so I’ll see what can be done.
  • Posted

Frequent bowel movements can make you lose weight and so can anxiety!  Your rate of weight loss doesn’t seem that much. Remember weight can fluctuate according to what you eat and how much you eat.  I am more concerned about gaining weight and not worried at all if I lose some weight.

If you are going to the doctors tomorrow, you already have an appointment so don’t worry about that!  All you have have to do is tell your doctor all your symptoms and especially your worries.  Don’t worry at all about not getting a solution to your problems. You do not know what will happen yet.  There is no point in worrying about something that hasn’t happened.  Try to think positively about your appointment. What if you do get a solution?  Try thinking about it that way. 

• Posted

I know I’m already imagining all sorts of bad things. It’s just causing me so much distress. Maybe you’re not worried about losing weight because you’re not close to being underweight like me. It’s so scary 😥 I just want to be normal..

• Posted

Hi maria38027

Weight loss should always be investigated. If you are eating normally and not missing meals then obviously the frequent bowel movements are contributing to the weight loss but it may be other reasons also. As already suggested you need a complete blood count and also an ultrasound or MRI scan to view what is going in your abdomen. Express to the doc your anxiety over the weight loss and request an abdominal scan.....i hope all goes well for you....

• Posted

I was under weight for much of my life until I was a student.  This was a family trait. I had a flat stomach. Then during exams I ate more but exercised less and got slightly overweight and had to diet. It left me with excess stretched stomach muscle but the rest of me is very slim.  I take a size 6-10 which is very petite.  This is why I am not worried about losing weight because being slim is my natural build and  don’t want to get fat again which was not normal for me.

Stress often makes me lose weight; it may be stress is causing your weight loss.  Stress can slso make you get loose stools or diarrhoea.

• Posted

I’m definitely eating enough, even more than I need to! I’ve been counting my calories so it’s a sure thing. If I’m losing weight it’s not because I’m not eating. I feel like I need to pass a stool all the time , it’s a very uncomfortable feeling 😥 I wish this to stop. I really want to be normal.

• Posted

I understand now 😥 Sorry I talked without knowing your situation. I don’t put weight on my stomach, but my legs do have stretch marks and cellulite from putting on and dropping weight all the time. I don’t think stress can make you lose weight. Maybe if you’re stressed to the point you have no desire to eat food. I wasn’t stressed before all these started 😢. I am stressed now however, I just can’t help it.

• Posted

Don’t worry I probably didn’t explain myself properly!

I find when I get stressed I loose weight because the calories I take in burn off very quickly even if I am eating normally. I don’t find I eat less when stressed or lose appetite. I can lose half a stone in one week with anxiety. This amount of weight loss shows a lot with me.   I would lose weight effortlessly during exam time . Some people turn to food when anxious and gain weight; my cousin is like that. The effects of stress are different for everyone regarding weight.  You can either gain or lose weight with anxiety.

• Posted

I seem to lose weight no matter what 😭 It’s so frustrating. I feel like losing weight is so much easier in general even if you are struggling with weight gain. If you lose weight like us , it’s really hard to put the weight back on. That’s the most annoying thing and the thing that concerns me. I know if I’ll lose, it’ll take ages to gain weight again.

• Posted

Hi maria38027

No problem with your appetite then😊...As you have expressed yourself to me in your reply, also express yourself in exactly the same way to your doctor.....keep us updated....

• Posted

Will be back with an update after my appointment tomorrow morning ❤️
    • Posted

You may also simply have a fast metabolism   You said your weight at the moment is ok for your height, so I wouldn’t worry .
  • Posted

Hi everyone! That’s me back from the doctors. We had a look at my blood test results and everything was fine (iron, blood sugar, liver etc) except my gallbladder. She said that because there is no other problem, it might be nothing, so I’m going  to repeat the blood test tomorrow. 

She said that I might feel the need to pass a stool all the time because I might be a bit constipated so she gave me something called Fybogel. She also gave me Omeprazole once a day for my reflux. I was very tired (only had a 2 hour sleep) so I forgot to say about my weight loss concern completely. I’m an idiot. I have another appointment after my blood test (on the 12th of July) so if there are any changes in my weight until then, I’ll tell her.

• Posted

Hi maria38027

Oh dear! Make sure you mention the weight loss on next doctors visit. My doctor told me that any unintentional weight loss should be investigated...👍

• Posted

I will certainly mention it if it keeps going down. As for now I’m trying to stay positive and hope I’m going to gain some as I’m eating over my calories. Fingers crossed for me😭

• Posted

At least you got some help and made some progress.  Make sure you put a reminder notice on your phone about your weight loss and set it to ring on the day of your appointment.  In that way you won’t forget about it.  I used to make extensive lists about all my health worries on my phone for every visit to the doctor.  I took my phone with me and and listed my anxieties one by one.  This worked for me.  When you are stressed, it is difficult to remember things, but technology can help with this.
    • Posted

Yeah I always have a lot on my head before I go there and when I get there nothing comes to my mind anymore. Will certainly do that next time.
    • Posted

I used to have the same problem because most of my doctors couldn’t help and I was so anxious.  I ended up suggesting tests to them to give them something to work on.
    • Posted

I had the same problem.  Abdominal,trouble can be very hard to diagnose.  Simply ask for a fecal calprotectin stool test and that will show whether you have any inflammation in your colon.  That will give you answers and reassurance. Do not worry! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.