What to expect after Hemorrhoid surgery

Posted , 53 users are following.

I decided to start this post for a few reasons.   The first is to give me something to do while going through this.  Second, is maybe get some support from others who have been where I'm at.  And third, to let people know who are considering this surgery what to expect.

I turned 50 back in March and my wife has been telling me that I needed to go ahead and schedule a colonoscopy.  Well like every stubborn male I kept putting it off.   So we had been doing a lot of work outside in some hot weather and I ended up getting severe heat dehydration.  Spent a few hours in the ER and was told I needed to drink a lot more water than usual.  Because of the dehydration, I ended up becoming very constipated and developed some hemorrhoids.  The hemorrhoids weren't hurting but they were large.  So I went to see a Dr thinking that I could just get some magic cream and poof they would go away.  Well, he said those are bad and since I was 50 I needed a colonoscopy also.  He set up the surgery for both.  Like most people I got on this site and several others and became scared to death.  But I went ahead and went through with the surgery on 9/15/17.  The colonoscopy went well but here is where the story really begins.......

As I was rolled out of recovery and back into my room where my wife was waiting, I was in a good mood.  Wasn't in any pain at all.  Obviously I was still medicated.  They told me that as soon as I was able to urinate I would be able to go home.  That was harder said than done.  I tried and tried and just couldn't pee.  As time went on the medication started to wear off and the pain came with a vengeance.  At this point all I wanted to do was go home.  The nurse who was checking in on me must have felt sorry for me so she snuck in a shot of Demerol.  I even lied and said I was able to go to the bathroom so she started my release paperwork.  The Dr. came in and told me to take my pain meds, drink plenty of water, and take warm baths for relief.  The Demerol helped and my wife was able to get me home and in bed.    The first day really wasn't that bad.  Oh don't get me wrong, I was in pain.  But the worst was still yet to come.  I have a high tolerance for pain also. The second day the pain hit.  The best way I can describe the pain is a lot of pressure, stinging sharp pains, and a feeling of being cut down there. (Obviously)  I also had trouble urinating which only added to the pain.  With the help of pain meds I made it through the second day and night.  I woke up on the third day actually feeling pretty good.  I got up and soaked in a hot bath and then took a nice long shower.  I even felt like getting dressed and trying to feel like my old self.  For the best part of the day I was doing great.  Still not pain free by any means and still walking like a 90 year old man. Now understand, I haven't had a bowel movement yet.  So later that day, about 5 pm I guess, the pain came.  It felt like a lot of pressure like I needed to have a bowel movement.  But the Dr stressed not to strain so I just waited until I needed to go and then go to the bathroom.  Well that time never came.  But the pain got worse and worse.   I put in a call to the Dr.'s office and they had the on call Dr call me.  He told me to double up on the laxatives.  So I followed the instructions and did that.  Even with all the laxatives still nothing but pain.  So on day 4 I called the Dr.'s office and was able to speak with the Dr. who did my surgery.  He told me that everything that I was going through was normal and I could go to the pharmacy and get a bottle of Magnesium Citrate and try that.  My wife ran to the pharmacy and got a bottle.  The pharmacists told her to tell me to drink the entire bottle and I should have a bowel movement between 30 minutes to 6 hours after drinking the bottle.  Well almost three hours later Hell came.  I just made it to toilet before the bottom fell out.  Even though it was soft, mostly diarrhea, the pain was horrible.  The burning was way too much to handle so I jumped directly into the shower and started spraying myself off with the shower head.  Then I just laid in a hot tub of water until the pain let up.  I have continued to take all of the medications the Dr prescribed.  As the evening of day 4 came around, I was totally spent dealing with all of the pain.  My wife was trying to get me to go to the ER but I knew that all they would do is give me pain med and tell me to follow up with my Dr and then give me a nice bill.  I made it through night 4 and on the morning of day 5 my wife called my Dr.'s office and made me an appointment for 2 pm. (That is today by the way).  The Dr came in and looked at the area and said everything was looking like it is supposed to only 5 days after surgery.  He could see that I was in a lot of pain and reassured me that this would all pass.  He told me that some people can't take the pain and have to be admitted into the hospital.  He said that things should start feeling better in a few days.  He changed my pain medicine from Lortab to Percocet and added Neurontin to also help with the pain.  

So that's where I'm at right now.  Day 5 and still hurting.  Some of you that have had this surgery may have been doing much better by day 5 and some worse.  I think we are all different and react differently to pain.  I do know this is not a surgery to just jump into without getting some facts first.  It's going to hurt.  That's the one truth that I think all who have experienced it will agree on.  

I would love to hear other's post op stories.  I know that I still have a ways to go before I am pain free.  

As I am able, I will update everyone with how my recovery is going.

Take care,

Randy 

3 likes, 145 replies

145 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi im on day 5 it hurt so bad today was the first day bowel momvent .. Drank Castor oil ... What else could i take to help ease the bowel movement?
    • Posted

Hi drink plenty of water. Have you not been given medication from the hospital. I was given lactulose and fybogel, also paracetamol and dihydrocodeine for the pain. Where did you have your operation? Also what grade were your hamorrhoids?
    • Posted

Hi Mary

Honestly I can say we heal differently. I'm myself am very healthy for my age. Never had any health issues in my 56 yrs. Except hemorrhoids for many years mainly inherited and would come about with lifting weights. And strain from constipation. Which Ive had all my life no matter how much water i drink or how clean my diet is..

With this said. I had grade lll internal roids removed Oct 10.

Finally today 9 weeks later i am pain free I hope unless i get constipated. Mine was a very long slow n painful recovery.

I did all I could to speed things up but Unfortunately i was not successful. Was also scheduled again for surgery Dec. 12th by colorectal surgeon to do exam as i was not healing n way to sore for him to give me a rectal exam in his office without putting me under..

So i today finally feel im out of the woods and cancelled this surgey as i never want to go through this ever again in my life.. Ive seen many on here healing within two weeks. And also others who are less fortunate like myself.

Why I have no idea.

My surgery was a 3 hr procedure. I'm in Canada.

Doc said id be back to work in two weeks.. I'm going back next week. As i was in still a lot of pain last week n today i still have blood in my stool.

And to top this off I now have a skin tag.. Sounds lovely yes lol

Anyway it maybe possible that this surgeon who I had trusted as I chose him, did not do a very good job.. I wont know until 2020 when i go for my colonoscopy

I'm just glad this is finally over .

It was brutal hell. And yes i will say i regret it having it.

So happy for the quick healers on here. Just wish we all would heal just as quickly as many others have.

Well wishes to all in recovery.

You will get through this. I did. You will too.

• Posted

I have had this surgery 5 days ago and I cant believe how painful it is, this site has been a really big help has I was not told much about the pain and recovery beforehand, I too have a good pain threshold but this has really done me in.

I first past a BM on day two and all I can say is it was like giving birth, but some days like today I don't feel to bad and can move around a little but I can't Waite to get back a bit off normality and go out of the house, I will keep my fingers crossed.

• Posted

Hello Michelle,  my husband is on day 8 after the PPH stapling procedure.

He is off all pain meds now and has also stopped the mineral oil that the Dr. prescribed.  He still takes the showers  to apply heat and walks around the house for exercise.  His complaint is the constant heavy pressure that he feels when he stands.  He feels like he has to have a BM all the time. It is very uncomfortable for him.  He has not gone out because he feels he needs to be by the bathroom.

So, reading about other's experiences gives all of us hope that this too will pass!

• Posted

So sorry you are having to go through this Michelle.  I know how bad it hurts.  Just know that if you take care of yourself it will get better.
    • Posted

Thank you Randy, had a really good day yesterday but today I'm in a lot more pain, it dose not help that I slipped and fell down the stairs lasr night and I've now got a big bruise on my bum 😣 no matter what I need to go back to work Monday 😫

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience! My husband was wondering how long he would be uncomfortable, so it has helped reading about everyone's experiences!

• Posted

Hey Betty.  I know it was a tough surgery for him.  Just tell him it WILL get better in time.  Just make sure that he doesn't get constipated and has to push.  

• Posted

Hello Randy, it is the beginning of week 5 and my hubby is feeling so much better.  Able to go out now without fear of having to urgently hit the bathroom.  No more uncomfortable pressure when standing up.  Everything has healed well, we are very thankful.  

I know this site is very beneficial for many who have to go through this painful procedure.  Your advice is very helpful!!  Thank you so much!!!

• Posted

I had surgery 1 week ago, having some pain but I'm having difficulty urinating. I have to "force" myself to pee. Is this normal after surgery? The few times I didn't have to force myself to pee I was standing up.

• Posted

Hi there iv just had my hemroids removed how long does the pain last for
  • Posted

Anyone wanting to get this surgery who cannot take pain please do not get this surgery. I wish someone would have stopped me. I have had a hemorroidectomy before with stitches and it wasn’t this bad. I had a baby 2 months ago, and I would literally have 10 more babies just to not feel this pain. I had to double up on my pain meds and now I am about out. I have Percocet 5mg 375 acetaminophen. I had 2 internal and 3 external and a external skin tag removed. The pain feels like it will never go away at first. I mostly only have pain if I go to have a BM. I usually am blocked up and have to use enemas to have a bowel movement I haven’t had a bowel movement on my own since I found out I was pregnant a year ago. I told my doctor that and he still thought a hemorroidectomy would be a good idea and did no kind of prep at all! I am so glad I decided to do an enema the morning of my surgery. I can’t believe I have done this. The pain is a 11 on a scale from 1 to 10. It goes away after about 20 minutes but those 20 minutes must be what hell feels like. I feel like someone is taking a lighter and holding it up to my butthole. The only thing that helps besides the pain medicine is a sitz bath as hot as I can stand it. I don’t know when it will get better but I pray soon. Does anyone have a similar experience? I have been drinking milk of magnesia and mineral oil and stool softener everyday, and I haven’t had a formed stool yet but about 35 little watery ones. Can anyone tell me what helped with the pain the most that isn’t a narcotic? And also when I can look for the pain to stop, and when will my staples come out? Thanks y’all so much. I have IBS-C and have had hemorrhoids for like 3 years and I am only 21. My first hemorroidectomy was when I was 15. I will NEVER EVER DREAM OF HAVING THIS SURGERY AGAIN. Just trying to save someone with my type of threshold for pain a lot of suffering. The only thing I can tell you is make sure you jump in hot hot water. The hotter the better it takes the pain away. I will never ever do this again. EVER. I have a two month old that I have to help take care of and I am depressed. I feel like my family is getting mad at me. I have good pain meds (Oxycodone) but I am scared I am going to get impacted. I had to digitally decompact myself everyday for the past month and I am terrified that is going to happen. If it does I will die. 
    • Posted

Hi I had the surgery in October, three internal removed. Was very painful when having BM. For pain I was given paracetamol and dihydrocodeine and BM lactulose and fybogel. I drank lots of water. This helped soft the BM. Very time I had a BM I had a bath this helped me. We're are you and were was your operation ?

• Posted

Hi did you have the new THD as that what I am down for 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.