What to expect after hysterectomy??

Posted , 7 users are following.

I’m getting a hysterectomy in 2wks.

Not sure what to expect afterwards with regards to recovery etc. Hve a grapefruit sized degenerating fibroid and others behind it. Suffered extreme heavy periods and low iron levels last 12-18mths. Am 44 with 2 kids so happy enough to hve surgery to sort problem. Will get abdominal hysterectomy and hope to keep ovaries. Just not sure what to expect post op, all advice welcome!! I have gained weight (10lbs) and was a regular runner but with no energy I hvnt ran in months. When will I be able to exercise again? 

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am new to this page. Just trying to find out more about fibroids I just found out I have them a week ago. All they told me was I had a lot inside my uterus and the largest being 5 cm.  They did mention hysterectomy to me . I have no health insurance right now so I don’t think this will be an option for me. Please keep us informed after yours smile and I wish you a speedy recovery 
  • Posted

I'm having one soon to due to fibroids. I'm also interested. 

• Posted

Am on the waiting list too as have fibroids had embolisation but did not work last September. Did you have to wait long to get it done? Know people that have had them done and say it’s the best thing to happen to them don’t think you feel right for 4-6 weeks and you need to take it easy x
    • Posted

I was told in hospital that my case was urgent and with nhs would be 9mths wait for hysterectomy but possibly sooner if the degenerating large fibroid didn’t settle. At the time I had a high temp, severe ab pain (like waves of contractions) and my blood results showed v high levels of inflammation and possible infection. Had antibiotics and started on implant to try and shrink the main fibroid. Am with Bupa so was able to see a consultant straight away and getting surgery through them. Just want it over with now. Belly just feels like its carrying a heavy weight. My consultant has said once I heal I’ll never look back but hate the thought of being ‘laid up’ for weeks.
    • Posted

Did you have Zoladex by any chance? Hope I don’t need to wait 9 months I was told about 12 weeks maybe slightly after as my gynae doc left. Am in Scotland and on nhs list x
    • Posted

Yes, have had x3 zoladex and it has made a difference. Hope you don’t have to wait too long! 
    • Posted

Did you bleed a lot on Zoladex? X
    • Posted

I’m contemplating having it done too, I’m the same as you Amanda, the discomfort and big belly is getting to me,they say my 4 fibroids are large, and the embolisation has stopped the bleeding. I’ve read many mixed  discussions and I’m clueless I’m 38 and worried as to how having this gone will effect my sexual relationship? 
    • Posted

Hi Amanda, yes I did, very heavily so was advised to stay on mfenamic acid x3 daily to control it as wanted to try and improve iron levels prior to surgery. 
    • Posted

Am on my second injection did you bleed on all your Zoladex injections? 
    • Posted

No, just with the first, then I started the mfenamic and have just had a daily light staining ever since
    • Posted

Hi claire, A hysterectomy at 38, even when you keep your ovaries may up your risk of cardiovascular disease. You should go to scientific search engine like pubmed and research hysterectomy and Cardiovascular disease. Also there's a research study showing that your "anti-mullerian" hormones are the same levels as people in natural menopause when you have hysterectomy with ovarian preservation. Please do research before you commit so that you're are okay with your decision. Would have posted the paper citations but the forum monitors dont like this.

• Posted

Hi, I had a hysterectomy a year ago after trying Provra and Esmya, both helped a bit, but not long term! For me having a TAH (kept ovaries) has been the best thing ever, just wish I had not waited so long tbh! As I was in a great deal of pain the relief was from the moment I woke up from surgery, they are so good at managing pain these days I really did not have any pain at all, I took it very easy and followed their advise to the letter and found that with care I could manage the stairs, having showers, short walks etc right from the start. No bending or lifting for about three weeks and I did not drive for at least 4 weeks, my surgery was 5 hours as also found adhesions, fibroids and polyps, so was quite invasive. I did not put on any weight, if fact I lost weight at first and since then I have felt so much better every day and have just returned from holiday and enjoyed swimming, eating and drinking .......and wearing white.....first time in years!!!! As for exercise I still only walk as find if I try too much my tummy swells and my back aches, know this is due to no core strength at the moment and spoke to instructor and will start yoga to make a start on getting my muscle tone back, but have been lucky that my weight has not changed much since op, but I have remained active and watched what I ate, kept it in line with my activity levels ( if not doing much did not eat as much etc). My best advice to you is have a positive outlook, if you drop a towel.....leave it on the floor lol, watch video on how to get in and out of bed (honestly, it made my life so much easier!), rest and be kind to yourself, accept help (keep what you need at waist level as no lifting or bending!) otherwise get someone to help you! I think I recovered well, but don't rush it, if I am honest I could function ok after about 4 weeks, but did not feel 100% until a good few months had passed, even now I have tried days....but so does everyone! This is a major operation and not to be taken lightly (and not every one will agree the best option) but for me I had tried other things that did not work and I wanted my life back, feeling like rubbish every day for over 3 years at least takes over your life totally and this drew a line under it for me and I have never looked back......and can I mention (again!) I can wear white again!!!

I wish you good luck, there are great results from having a hysterectomy these days, they have improved so much and I hope you are like me and never look back and just enjoy the rest of your life!! If you have any other questions I am happy to help if I can, feel free to ask anything!

Take care,

Barb x

• Posted

Thanks so much Barb! 

This is music to my ears!! I’ve always been active and a regular runner but the last 12-18mths my energy levels have steadily dropped and running became a chore rather than a joy.  I kept pushing myself and started working out with a personal trainer as I thought the lethargy was all in my head and it was just my age and the pot belly that appeared out of nowhere was down to not enough intensive exercise. After an 8m run I was in hospital the next night which is when they discovered the fibroid and couldn’t understand that I hadn’t been aware of it as they could feel it just by laying their hand on my tummy!  In the past I’ve been an impatient patient but I was so ill after that episode that I just had to accept help and let things go as I just wasn’t fit to do much. I’m feeling stronger and really looking forward to just getting this sorted and getting my life back. I’m glad it has worked out so well for you and that’s good advice about having things at waist height etc. Did you bleed much after it? I’ve read mixed reports. Thanks so much for the info x

• Posted

No, I had the expected bit with my first wee, don't be scared, that is totally normal if you have the cervix taken as I did, then nothing since, I bled fairly constantly (and flooded sometimes) for nearly three years and felt like I was dragging round a bag of rocks around my waist, my back, thighs and pelvis hurt ALL the time, and the exhaustion and the constant feeling that I needed a wee, in the last month before the op I was on morphine for the pain!! Like you my tummy was swollen and he could feel it with his hands, thankfully all those feelings went away immediately, I could go all night without waking up several times for the loo!! My tummy also went down after the swelling but I now have "a pouch" that I need to work on, but would much rather that then all the other symptoms I was having any day! I am 52 so accept that I may not get the complete flat tummy back and having had a c section many years ago it was not a washboard any way but did hold my head high on holiday in a bikini and boy did I feel great!!!! I am sure you will return to your running and all of this will be behind you, do you have a date yet? I did try other options as I mentioned, wish I hadn't, think I just caused myself more pain, but was lucky as only had to wait about 8 weeks and yes I did stupidly read all the horror stories and scared the living daylights out of myself, but reached out to my friends and family that had actually had a hysterectomy and found that not of them regretting having it done and my sister who had hers nearly 10 years ago in her 40's after many years of pain said her life began again after.......so my advise here is don't read the internet, actually speak to people who have had the op as success stories often aren't on there as they are off enjoying their lives!! If I am honest I rarely look on here now for that very reason but your post caught my eye as I know how scared I was and a lovely lady messaged me telling me pretty much what I have said to you and it calmed my nerves so much........so I wanted to do the same for you, I know everyone is different but for me it was the best thing I could of done!! Let me know if you need anything else!

Barb xx

• Posted

Oh and must mention the first bowel movement, I did not "go" for a few days and did have to ask for something to help, still shudder at the memory of the rather handsome nurse bringing me the suppository and rubber gloves with a wry grin.........drink loads of water, eat well but don't leave it if you need help, if you are with Bupa I am sure they will keep a close eye anyway, but listen to your body!! I had mine done on nah but was luck enough to have it done in private hospital, was very well looked after!!

Barb xx

• Posted

Thanks so much, really appreciate you taking the time to post all this info. It’s given me real peace of mind and I’m actually excited about getting my op done and dusted! Have a date for 20th August. On hols at the mo and just resting and chilling. Would have had op sooner but was so low on iron etc the consult felt it was best to try and get rested and also shrink the fibroid so he could plan for a horizontal abdominal cut rather than a vertical one which he would have had to do due to the size. Life without flooding and more normal range of energy will be just amazing 🎉🎉 great to hear it’s worked well for you👍🏻 X

• Posted

Enjoy your holiday and look forward to this all being behind you soon! Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.