What to expect when coming off HRT

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been on tibolone tablets for 10 years, but now have to com off them. At the moment I'm taking them every other day.i don't know what to expect, I'm very worried to how l'm going to cope.

anyone out there got any advice please

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If your Doctor has advised this, then read the NICE guidelines, it is quite safe to take HRT for as long as you like. Please let us know the reasons you are stopping.
    • Posted

I have developed a circulation problem at the back of my eye and the ophthalmologist as advised stoping HRT
  • Posted

I stopped taking my HRT last year after some pressure from one of the GP's in the practice and suffered flushes and I would wake up every morning soaking wet and had to wash the bedding and my nightwear almost daily. I was also bad tempered and was constantly feeling anxious. I went back to another GP in the practice, a lady. I was armed with the NICE guidelines but didn't need them because she immediately asked me if I wanted to go back onto HRT. I could have hugged her. I'm now on Premarin and life is back to normal.
  • Posted

What menopause symptoms were you having before HRT? I found my symptoms returned when I tried to come off my patch. (My Doc practically forced me off) I went back to another GP and she agreed it is my body and my decision. I dont know how your HRT affects your eye circulation. Have you discussed it thoroughly with your GP? If your general blood pressure is high, then you must obviously weigh up the benefits against the risks.
    • Posted

My blood pressure is ok. I have the feeling that the eye guy is anti HRT

and my Gp has been trying for ages to get me off it so I don't think It's going to be easy with the pair of them against me taking it. I don't obviously want to loose the sight in my eye and have become resigned to coming off it, hence the reason of taking the decision to drop down to a tablet every other day since I saw the eye guy 3 days ago. I will see my G.p in about a week.

to be honest , I didn't have too bad a time with hot flushes before I started taking them, it was the feeling of being overwhelmed and indecision and the occasional palpitations that I suffered from

I'm worrying now about what to expect and how long I'm supposed to carry on taking them alternate days before coming off them completely 

• Posted

Did your doctor suggest every other day or have you chosen to wean off yoursel? You have to wean off very very slowly.. also is there another doctor you could talk to at your practice? They all have different views, keep a record of how you feel and if you experience anything thats affecting the quality of your life, mention it to your GP. You could be ok as you say your flushes were not too bad.
    • Posted

I weaned off very very slowly but it made no difference in fact doctors do disagree as to whether weaning off slowly does make any difference 
  • Posted

Matron :-) I weaned off REALLY slowly too and my flushes came back with a vengeance. it really is a personal decision and a sympathic clued up Doc helps too!
    • Posted

I agree and I really hope the NICE guidelines help because GP's are really supposed to follow them.
  • Posted

HI DOROTHY

I FEEL THE BEST WAY IS TO WEAN OFF AS THE ALTERNATIVE IS TOO BAD IE--

UNABLE TO COPE

PAINS IN MY HAND

IRRITATION

NIGHT SWEATS

FLUSHES

NO SLEEP

GENERAL NOT MUCH OF A LIFE

THIS IS THE WAY I GOT THROUGH IT AS I HAD TO COME OFF IT DUE TO BREAST CANCER

FROM 1 TABLET PER DAY-(NO DOC EVER QUESTIONED MY DOSAGE IN  29 YEARS) I HAD EARLY MENAPAUSE.

I WEANED BY HALF A TABLET FOR A MONTH

1/4 OF TABLET PER MONTH

1./4 OF TABLET EVERY ALTERNATE DAY

LISTEN TO YOUR BODY AND IF YOU HAVE TO COME OFF IT I FEEL THIS IS THE WAY TO DO IT.

HOPE IT HELPS THE COLD TURKEY IS CRUEL

• Posted

I am at 3 and a half tablets per week, every other day since March 2015, so it has been 11 months to get me this far.... I do not know where to cut from here next, another half a tablet next cut?  I try to cut every 3rd month, that is how slow I am going!!!  I have some slight returning symptoms the past cut, so I am holding steady for awhile.  What did you do when you experienced any return symptoms?  Any advice is appreciated!  
    • Posted

I very gradually tapered my dose (tablets) last year and within a few weeks of stopping I had the most awful symptoms. I had to wash my bedding and nightwear every day due to the flushes, it affected my mood until I could take no more. I went to see my lovely GP, a woman, armed with the NICE Guidelines and once I told her my symptoms she asked me if I wanted to go back onto HRT. I'm now more like my old self. I have worked for a long time in gynaecology and consultants are telling me it makes absolutely no difference whether you gradually reduce your dose or stop immediately, your symptoms will be no different.
    • Posted

So you went back on them full dose? And you feel better.  Did you experience weight gain on the tablets?  I have put alot of weight on my BP was high, but controlled with medication and is very good full dose and as I am weaning.  So there is no such thing as a soft landing here, just either take them forever, or prolong the inevitable weaning or stopping?  Anyone else feel the same?
    • Posted

I have gone back on a slightly lower dose but I no longer have menopausal symptoms, in fact my flushes stopped within 2 days! I've taken HRT since 1991 because I had a hysterectomy and oophorectomy at 37 and it hasn't affected my weight. I do now have high blood pressure and it's controlled on medication and my GP is perfectly happy with that.......and so am I.
    • Posted

Perhaps I should request the lower dose, which essentially that is what I am taking now with taking it every other day.  I am afraid to go any lower to be honest.  Thank you Matron, you have given me some great insight. Are you in the USA or UK?  I am in the USA.
    • Posted

I'm on patches and literally cut them down very gradually.  I started on 80mcg ones and once they were halved, got some 40mcg ones.  Up to that point I'd had the odd symptom when I'd reduced the dosage but  they seemed to improve after a few weeks so I persevered.  It was when I started to cut down the 40s that the real troubles began and the symptoms kicked in with a vengeance and did not resolve. Due to a supply problem with my usual brand, the doctor decided to prescribe some 25mcg ones - identical ingredients but a different make.  I was waking up wringing wet, felt miserable, etc and in addition I had started with a frozen shoulder, so was getting little sleep.  I had to persuade my doctor (a locum who I'd never seen before) to prescribe my usual 40mcg patches again, which he did, rather reluctantly.  Within a few weeks I felt back to normal again, at least menopause symptoms-wise.  I have been able to settle on half my original 80mcg dose and seem to be doing fine on that.  I don't have high blood pressure and have not put on excessive weight with HRT.

I'm also in the UK where the gudelines for doctors (NICE - National Institute for Health and Care Excellence) on prescribing HRT were revised and re-published late last year.  The new guidelines re-examined the latest evidence and conclude HRT to have less risks than previously thought, so the benefits outweigh them for many women.  For women over here it should mean that doctors will be more willing to prescribe it.

• Posted

I am back on low dose, every day!!!  If I don't feel better in a few weeks, I will go back up to the higher dose!  What was I thinking?? 

I am an advocate of Quality vs Quanity of Life!!!   I can be my own worst enemy at times!  Thank you Maria58274 and Matron for your information.

My doctor here was not in support of the Initial Study Women's Health Initiative in the USA, so I am one of the fortunate ones, I pray God takes me before Him!!!   Hugs to All! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.