What to expect when coming off HRT

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been on tibolone tablets for 10 years, but now have to com off them. At the moment I'm taking them every other day.i don't know what to expect, I'm very worried to how l'm going to cope.

anyone out there got any advice please

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Obviously your sight must come first but ask what the problem is with continuing HRT and if there is a possibility of changing to patches, for instance.  I don't know what your eye circulation problem is caused by but (copied from the NICE guidelines) "HRT tablets (but not patches or gels) are linked with a higher risk of developing a blood clot."  For some conditions, patches are safer.  Google your condition and HRT to see if you can find something about it - or if they are just being over cautious.  I'm sure many doctors have not read the latest HRT guidelines.

I'm on patches and tried to reduce last year by literally, cutting down the patches.  I was OK for a while but once my dose got too low, all my symptoms returned.  I was told these should wear off in time and also offered SSRi anti-depressants, which can work against night sweats, etc - these might be helpful for you, if you do have to stop.  As I'd also started with a frozen shoulder (which I suspect may be somehow related) I was getting very little sleep.  I read the new NICE guidelines and managed to persuade my GP to put me back on my usual dose of HRT and have been much better since.

Try to get some facts yourself before talking to your GP and/or ophthalmologist and at least get them to explaim why your HRT should stop.  If you must stop, then ask your GP about alternative treatments, should your symptoms return.  Best of luck to you, whatever happens.  Let us know how you go on.

• Posted

It's luck of the draw, some women sail through. I attempted to wean by cutting the tiniest slither off my patch and my flushes came back with a vengeance after 4 days it's quite scary.. my doctor really wanted me to stop. I truly believe we know our own bodies and ultimately it is our decision not theirs. I was so glad when the new guidelines were published. I now feel i am nit so shattered and the flushes have gone. I had a blood test this morning to check my vit D, thyroid levels etc., fingers crossed all will be fine! Its interesting to know the weaning makes no difference.. and after all i have experienced and read lately, i believe it to be true. Onwards and upwards ladies!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.