What to tell my gp?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Last year in November i had a 'breakdown', it was so out of the blue and without cause or trigger that i began to wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that i have been on diazpam for 17 years.

It didn't take much research to confirm it might be, it seems you can actually have withdrawal symptoms whilst maintaining your dose and i have had/am still having many of them.

I asked my gp who said she didn't think it was possible, in fact 5 weeks ago she increased my dose by 2mg per day, being desperate for relief i accepted this, it has done little to help, i stopped sweating for hours on end and stopped needing the loo 10 times per day but no other changes.

My agoraphobia is worsening, i have depression, i have no sense of balance and feel like my life is over.

I was thinking about taking all the info i have about tolerance withdrawal to my gp and having a discussion with her again but i fear that even if she believes me this time she may cut my dose down too fast.

I know the only way out is a slow taper but doctors seem to want to rush these things and i want to approach the taper at my own pace, at least if she is still prescribing i can do that and i can go back to my current dose if at any time i feel i am not coping but if she cuts the prescription that wont be an option.

Should i go in armed with information and risk her cutting it too quickly or should i hold back, start a slow taper but be scared of her not knowing what i am doing? The idea of doing it without medical support/knowledge terrifies me but then again so does being rushed off.

I'm a bit lost to be honest.

2 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there

Would it be possible for you to abbreviate and give out contact details on both uk charities.

Also could you please explain to what extent the salvation army can help?

Is there anyone of them who offer 6months plus rehab progs in the UK

Extremely interested

Thanks

• Posted

What was your original dose BellaLuna?
    • Posted

Well 17 years ago it was 6mg per day as a starting dose, 10 years went by and it had risen to 18mg per day and it stayed there for the next 7 years.

Then 5 weeks ago it went up to 20mg per day, I was frequently updosed in the first 10 years to the point where I can't even remember exactly how often.

I seemed stable on 18mg per day for 7 years then came the breakdown that I believe was actually tolerance withdrawal and they updosed me to 20mg.

Now I feel just as much in a breakdown but unsteady on my feet to add to it too.

• Posted

I am trying to stop xanax.  I am afraid that my doctor will cut too fast. I am not saying anything. I started cutting the pills.  I am down to 3/4 mg. I tried 1/2 last week and found I need to go back to 3/4. I will try again in about 2 weeks. Good luck on your journey!
    • Posted

Hi, as I understand it xanax is much stronger than diazepam so you are doing the right thing going slowly with it, all benzos should be tapered slowly of course but when you think that 1mg of xanax is equal to 20mg Diazepam your dose is still high at 3/4 mg so you are so right to take your time with this.

Thank you and good luck on your journey too.

• Posted

Hi. I plan to try to reduce xanax to .25 beginning Thursday night. I have a very important appointment Thursday and don't want to take the chance of sweating and shaking with the appointment. Thanks for your imput. Good luck on your journey too. Keep me posted. I agree with Carol, keeping a journey is a great idea. I kept journals religiously a few years ago and feared that I would die and children would find it. Later...
    • Posted

Well Edna if my children find my journals I hope they discover just how much courage and will it took for me to survive.
    • Posted

You have a point, Carol. I guess I was feeling like I would be

embarrassed and my children see me as weak. But you are right!

I could mean the opposite..How are you doing with yours?  Wishing you

luck!!

• Posted

I'm having trouble too. I have been stablessed at .25 mgs a day klonopin for a month and tried to reduce to .125 mgs 5 days ago and got slammed on day 4. I am pretty sick even though I went back to .25 mgs. This benzo thing is ridiculously hard. Maybe I should give up. Sick and tired of being sick and tired. My family is suffering too. Starting to lose hope.
    • Posted

I am at 10 mg still.14 days with no xanax doing alright except for sleep.I did take a muscle relaxer last night as I was desperate for sleep,no valium,slept 10 hours but got up with vertigo I have this rarely it does not seem connected to anything I take but It is awful BPV.
  • Posted

Hi we had a chat about this a couple of days ago when you had to reinstate 4 mg . How are you now? Here is a link to a very reliable site bataid.org

Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.