What type of anaesthetic?

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hi everyone, I am booked in for my first hip replacement surgery next Wednesday. I was really surprised to hear that my surgeon does this under spinal anaesthetic, Ive been told I will be awake but oblivious to my surroundings. Just wondered if anyone else had surgery this way and can reassure me. I am 45yrs old with osteoarthritis, I require both hips to be replaced but surgeon only does one at a time with at least 6 months in between for recovery. Any advice or reassurance will be gratefully received! Lynn smile

1 like, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Lynn I had TRHR last week, spinal anaesthetIc with sedation - brilliant. I knew nothing from the moment I had the sedating injection to waking up in recovery. Wasn't aware of having the spinal injection. No nasty side effects like with general anaesthetic. 
  • Posted

I was put under with spinal and general anisthetic brcause the spinal would not last long enough for my surgery as it only lasts 3/4 hours and my surgery took 7 hours.

From what i have heard spinal is the best as you wake up feeling rather refreshed and so on.

It took me over 45 minutes to wake up properly in recovery and so i was told is very concerning and my heart rate was 150.

When you get a spinal you will be given sedatived or you can actually opt to stay awake haha. Dont worry though, you wont be aware or feel anything

• Posted

They've told me my op should take around an hour and a half, thanks for sharing your experience. so good to hear from others who have already been through this! X
    • Posted

Yes an hour sounds right. It will fly by im sure

My op was completely different to a normal on due to my disabilities haha so thats why it took so long xD

• Posted

I also had a spinal for both my operations.  They asked me if I wanted a mild sedative to put me to sleep but I preferred not getting one and being awake.  Basically everything below the lungs is completely numb and you don't feel a thing (although you do hear everything so I can see how some people would want the mild sedative).  My biggest complaint was that I couldn't actually see what they were doing!  Bringing a music player is a great idea although I would check with the hospital before - I don't think my hospital would let me bring anything into the operating room.  After the surgery, I felt great and didn't feel any pain at all until several hours after the spinal wore off (After I got sensation back in my legs, I could do all sorts of movements pain free with my legs (maybe not a good idea) which I couldn't do the next day)
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply, I will check if they allow me to bring in some music. I think I'd prefer that to hearing any sawing/drilling noises lol! wink
  • Posted

Hi Lynn I had trhr end of November 2015 had the spinal with hardly any

sedation I was aware of everything going on but I would say they were all

there but I could not have cared about anything so they do sedate you enough

that you are not fully awake but I remember it all very clearly and I had my ipod

but I had Rod Stewart (giving my age away)so he helped me relax as I went back

to thinking of when I was younger and fitter and went to see him live .I would

not have been able to do that now because of the pain so that urged me on

while I lay there thinking once this is done I will be more mobile and be able

to dance to Rod as well as listen 👠yes get the dancing shoes on lol

Do not worry about anything in the theatre as they will just sedate you if you

are getting worried and you will not know a thing about it as they talk to you all

the time and they know if you are getting worried so just lie there and let them

get on with it .I am now getting my other hip done within the next 3 months and

although I would rather have not needed it but my first operation was a great

success so the next one hopefully will be the same .Good luck to you on your

journey without this awful pain.keep us posted regards

• Posted

Hi Lynn, 

warm welcome to this friendly hippies forum where we share our personal stories and experiences 

you already received great responses ....

I had 2 THR surgeries within 6 months  and chose general anesthesia - Just the thought of perhaps hearing, smelling something, maybe wake up too early freaked me out - I wanted to just take a deep breath, open my eyes and I am done - 

I had no side effects, no catheter -

to be honest : anaesthesiologist preferred spinal but honored my request.

please have a look at :

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147, scroll down to A Layman's Guide created by our beloved fellow forum member Graham, aka Rocketman, for  mored detailed information -

come back here any time with concerns or questions, okay

big warm hu

renee

• Posted

Thanks so much Renee, I will check out that link. And I'm loving the 'hippies' forum name :D xx
  • Posted

Lynn, I'm 65 and also had LTHR one week ago with a spinal and some IV meds to make me sleepy. I was a little nervous because I've never had a spinal before (only epidural with a C-Section years ago). Anyway it went really well and I didn't know anything from the time they turned on the meds till I woke up just after surgery. Overall, at only 9 days into this, I am amazed at how well everything has gone. I certainly wish you the best and will be praying for you. ~ Pat
  • Posted

Hi Lynn you've received such great response, congratulations! And I hope the operation goes well, which I'm sure it will!

I have a question to the forum: can I decide whether I want to have spinal or GA? Can the surgeon rule against my preferred method, if yes for what reasons? I have my LTHR eat the end of May. Thx Harry

• Posted

I've heard a spinal is way better cause that give you the ability to get up and start moving hours after surgery and when you have a spinal it also has something to do with you don't have as much blood loss during surgery...

Hope this helps good luck Harry!

• Posted

Thanks Snowgirl. I'll definitely go for spinal and see what happens (that is if the surgeon allows!). All the best to you, Harry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.