What type of anaesthetic?

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hi everyone, I am booked in for my first hip replacement surgery next Wednesday. I was really surprised to hear that my surgeon does this under spinal anaesthetic, Ive been told I will be awake but oblivious to my surroundings. Just wondered if anyone else had surgery this way and can reassure me. I am 45yrs old with osteoarthritis, I require both hips to be replaced but surgeon only does one at a time with at least 6 months in between for recovery. Any advice or reassurance will be gratefully received! Lynn smile

1 like, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Lynn!

I had my first thr almost 5 weeks ago! And I too had a spinal..they didn't put too sleep very lightly...and when I say lighly ...I did wake up once hearing hammering...but only a few taps (not feeling not at all!) and I was out again...then woke up again when it was over...still in the operating room...the doctor had started talking to me right away...saying that it was worse then he thought...I was bone on bone...and wanted to know if I wanted to see it...I laughed and said no thanks!! I'm not sure where your from...but I'm from California...and the doc I had was for the anterior approach and wanting his patients to go home same day...he's a pusher and wants his patients to start recovery fast....he's like physio will be in your room today..if you can get up and walk and they show you the stairs you can go home today...I didn't push it I just got up and walked...didn't ask to do the stairs so I stayed another day...but there was not much pain...the only thing I hated was the drain tube...that stung my leg a little... But that's it! 😁 Good luck on your surgery!

• Posted

Hi Lynn,

Spinal and sedative here too.  I was told I woke up but I honestly don't remember a thing.  

Nothing to worry about at all.

Cels x

• Posted

Totally - I had spinal, with no sedation at all, both times.  Recovery was as simple as being handed a cup of tea as soon as I was out of the theatre.  Much simpler, and less risks too.  You can choose your level of sedation by the way, from none, through 'woozy' to 'totally out of it'.

See my website for information like this. The address is in my personal info at 

https://patient.info/forums/profiles/rocketman-sg6uk-907025

and in the moderators thread at

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

I had both spinal and GA by choice , but know of loads who had it done under spinal plus sedation quite happily xxxx
  • Posted

all surgeons offer that now-I had a choice between that or the other full out. I chose the full out. didnt care to hear anything.Good luck,we ll all be with you here after you ve become a hippie! Welcome to the club hipster!
  • Posted

Hi Lynn, I had mine done yesterday and I had wanted to stay awake however I wasnt given that option.  Got some light sedation to calm me down, spinal and then put out with the GA.  The last I remembered was a warm feeling followed by waking up in recovery..... Coming out the GA wasnt as bad as I thought it would be.

David.

• Posted

Thanks for that David, how are you feeling today, have you been up on your feet, and have they said when u might get home?
    • Posted

Hi Lynn,

​Today has been a bit of a roller coaster of emotions.  I felt really good when I had breakfast but slowly got more and more frustrated as the day went on.  Mainly due to being quite helpless (for example I'm watching TV just now and someone has left my chart in front of it and I cant just get up and move it).

​Today has gone slower than they said. I was meant to have got up on my feet and had a walk around the ward, but that hasnt happened.  Instead i've just had a couple of goes of the zimmer in my room, some physio and x-rays. I'm supposed to get home saturday but Im not sure if that will happen as I havent been on crutches yet or seen the OT.  Also my home aids havent been delivered yet.

​Watch this space... it may all come together!  Certainly at the moment I am still too shaky on my legs. However the difference even in the 24 hours since my surgery are amazing so who knows what I will be doing tomorrow.

• Posted

I had the spinal and sedative, told them I could still wiggle my toes then nothing until they were shouting at me to wake up lol good luck
  • Posted

Hi Lynn

I had my right hip replaced 22/4/16 under spinal. It was fine .I had some sedation so was a bit sleepy but aware during operation. ( could hear operation noises but was  not anxious),  I asked the anaesthetist for a bit more sedation when I started waking up.

It takes a bit longer to give the spinal anaesthetic then a general. I had to sit on the edge of the trolley leaning forward (lower back curved) while they gave the anaesthetic.  The anaesthetist tests your legs for numbness before they  take you into the theatre, I am 53 with oestoarthritis,

Good luck with your surgery

Karen

• Posted

Had the spinal!! They knew i was very nervous and so they gave me versed first and I don't remember anything but waking from the surgery. It was fabulous!!!! L
  • Posted

Hi Lynn I had the spinal as well I was awake going into the operating room for the spinal and then was told I would feel sleepy and I was competition out they had said I might hear voices but no pain. You will be fine. Keep us posted on how you are doing hun
  • Posted

Hi Lynne I had the spinal and was told the same thing that I might hear people talking but I wouldn't feel any pain, after they gave me the spinal in the Operating room

They told me I would feel sleepy and I was out for the count didn't hear anything. It's amazing how you can stand up the day after surgery with a walker of course but I only used a walker for a couple of weeks and switched to a cane now seven weeks post op also right side I am not using any walking AIDS. If I go to the grocery store the cart is great for not over tiring. Your leg will feel exteremely heavy and achy bug you shouldn't have any hip pain

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.