What type of approach did you have done?

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi everyone!

Was wondering what type of approach you and your sergon chose to have done? And how long after the surgery did it take for you guys to get up and start walking?

Thanks!

Danielle

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yep both of mine will be lateral (first one was June 15, second one next week). 

I walked with a walker the same afternoon - just around the bed. Shower on the second day (supported with two crutches) and up three stairs to obtain my get out of hospital ticket!

It was hard going at home, rested for two weeks, walked for ten minutes every hour but exhausted.Used my crutches for weeks and then down to one stick but was battling OA in other hip and lower back

Drove at five weeks (half a mile) and came home and had a nap - in fact napped my way through whole of recovery!

• Posted

Posterior approach for me at 36 years old.

Surgeons use whatever approach they are practiced on and prefer, is what my surgeon explained to me.

I was movin around the ward with a walker the first day, and discharged from the hospital with a cane at day 2.

I went on very short treks outside the first week, and managing trips to the grocery store after week 2.

Choose a surgeon you're comfortable with, but just as importantly I think, get your physical therapist the same way.  I went through 3 before I got one that got me sorted.

Rob

• Posted

Thank you..I'm 36 and have to have my right hip done...but the left is now feeling just as bad...I have severe hip dysplasia and arthritis...he's going to do anterior approach.

I limp everywhere I go...and I hate it...seems like my hips are freezing up and move less and less everyday...

• Posted

Hi Danielle, 

I am sorry to hear about your pain ... How far along are you in the process of getting surgery ?  I hope it is not too far away ...

I had 2 THR surgeries, both posterior method - I didn't have a choice - 

Same as others here - Surgeries were both in afternoon - day 1 following out of bed with walker/trolley - practiced weight bearing and trusting new hip, sat in chair - in afternoon: walk with trolley to toilet and into hall way - Since then went to toilet indepently (yeah !!!) - 

Good girl and warm welcome to our forum and posting your first question !wink

Come back with any question or concerns you might have, okay

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thank you so much Renee!

I am 36 and limp everywhere...my doc says I need a hip replacement...he wants to do the anterior approach...but I'm terrified if I get the surgery I will limp forever!! I'd rather deal with pain Then limp.. I was supposed to make an appointment for the surgery in February but have not called back yet ..

Just trying to find out as much info as possible before I do ..

Thnsks!!

• Posted

I would imagine that your limp comes from the OA pain in your hip joint, if that is so, then a repacement hip joint will take that pain away, and you would then expect to be limp free once recovery is complete.  You should be limp-free in 2 or 3 months.

If you are uncertain, ask questions of your doctor/surgeon, quiz him closely, ask questions, make sure he knows what it is you want - a limp-free life.

Graham

• Posted

It's weird...even when I don't feel pain I limp...but I will ask questions!! Thanks Graham!
    • Posted

That's pretty normal once your brain has been programmed to walk that way to avoid pain. 

Part of rehab for some people is re-training their body how to walk correctly again.

• Posted

That sounds exactly like me! I was so nervous I put off surgery for a year. I am now 7 weeks out and I don't regret it one bit. My limp is gone! I feel like I have my life back.

I decided that it was time when everyone started noticing my limp was getting much worse, and I had a hard time keeping up with my students at school. My husband and dear friends pretty much forced me into doing it. I'm so glad I caved.

• Posted

I am going to make my appointment soon...hopefully in to be done in March...what do they do after you have your set date?? Do they do an mri? To map out your nerves/ sciatica nerver?
  • Posted

Approach:Superpath.

Day 1 up and on crutches, day 2 practice stairs day 3 home

Week 2 on static Bike, hip class with people who were at 5 weeks post op.got bath , restrictions only in place as op is on trial in UK. Doc says no restrictions next year for new patients. 3 inch scar on outside of hip plus a penny sized one for tooling, tho that is now barely visible. Posted a picture some time ago smile.

All the best Jay.

• Posted

That sounds awesome. I wish I had been given that option.

• Posted

Side. I was up and sitting in a chair that afternoon. Had physio with a walker the next day and without aids the following one, when I was discharged. Even though I was supposed to be non-weight bearing, they didn't even give me crutches when I left but made me do the long walk out to the taxi stand carrying a fairly heavy bag...
    • Posted

Forgot to add... I stayed at home for four days, then did a short walk to the GP (on crutches that we had at home from my son's accident a few years ago). Since then, I have done at least a short walk to the shops and back every day. For the past week, I have only been using one crutch when out. (10 weeks po)
  • Posted

I had a posterior approach THR on Tuesday 2nd Feb. I had hoped for an anterior approach but didn't really get the choice as I was NHS patient sent to a private clinic. Day 1 stood up on zimmer, day 2 walking on sticks, day 3 shower and a few stairs and home on day 4.  Its now day 5 and my muscles are getting stronger but still very early days. Weather outside is attrocious so have not ventured out yet.  Religiously doing my bed and standing excercises. Lots of butt cheek clenching, knee raises ans lateral extensions but I must remember to do this on both sides. No physio follow up so will get some private sessions. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.