What type of approach did you have done?

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi everyone!

Was wondering what type of approach you and your sergon chose to have done? And how long after the surgery did it take for you guys to get up and start walking?

Thanks!

Danielle

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I opted for the Anterior approach. At that time, 5 months ago, Kaiser Hospital had only one surgeon in Oakland Kaiser that did them. All others did only Posterior. My older brother had the anterior approach and my cousin, recovery is quicker and much less painful for the patient... My first consult was with a surgeon who only did only the posterior approach so he was not very happy I insisted on a referral for the Anterior...I'm doing very well and was up and walking immediately...on pain meds the first couple of weeks, then weaned myself off by 3rd week....I have stairs and did well with walker, then shortly after that crutches....I was in the O.R. for one hour and had a spinal...just a dent that bothers me now where my scar is.
  • Posted

Anterior...Posterior is now considered pretty old school. At least according to my retired fishing buddy who did these surgeries for 20 yeas in Anchorage Ak. I was off pain meds in 3 days walking without crutches in 4 or so. They take a final x-ray before surgery to help them line up the new device. The ceramic ball can be adjusted up and down to match what you had before. They x-ray again during surgery to compare. This was in Seattle. I am 69 and skiing again at 4 months.
  • Posted

Hi Snowgirl,

Similar age to you here at 37, hip dysplasia and OA in both hips but he's just done my left for now as right doesn't cause me problems yet. Had posterior approach. I had my op late in the day at 15:30 and had an epidural as well as GA so wasn't allowed up until next day when walked with a frame. Following day with sticks. Three days in hospital in total. Was discharged on Jan 29th. Have been walking around without sticks at home but quite limpy unless really concentrating, then I can walk more normally. Operated leg IS longer now which I am not happy about but he assures me when the other one is done they will match but this doesn't help me short term. It might settle down and not be so obvious in weeks to come I am told. prior to op I didn't limp constantly, only when hip was having a really bad day or i'd pushed it by walking miles.

I don't regret having it done, it needed doing and it's early days. I am plesantly surprised at how little pain I've had. Discomfort yes but in no way a real problem. We have age on our side. I'd recommend doing it sooner than later.

• Posted

Hi. I'm not sure of terminology but my scar (about 3 to 4 inches long) is on my flank (side of hip). I think this is fairly standard? I was on my feet the day of the operation and walking the day after and climbing stairs the day after that. I used a single crutch for about 2 to 3 weeks but then my physio told me to get rid of it. But I did use it for my commute into London for a couple more weeks as a signal to others not to bump into me! I did a lot of physiotherapy which I started (in addition to the normal exercises) about  a week after the op. I think this made a huge difference. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.