What type of Magnesium do I buy?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi!

I was trying to get all supplements on Nancy's big post. I bought Magnesium Citrate and it gave me diarrhea within an hour. I looked it up and apparently this one acts like a laxative. I saw someone write that Magnesium Oxide has high oxalates, so I don't think that one is good either. What about Magnesium Glycinate? Any guidance is appreciated!!!!

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Hannah

I take Magnesium Glycinate plus Vitamin D3

I did read the citrate form can give you

a bad tummy. Glycinate has high absorbion like D3 works for me.

• Posted

Thank you all! I do have anxiety, but I'm going to try the Glycinate and see how it goes, if it seems to increase it, I'll maybe try to find the mix!

• Posted

OH shoot, Hannah, why pt yourself through that if Dr. Wentz mentioned the side effect for those who have an anxiety condition? There are two other forms that are also good, Orotate is the one that i'm gonna change to now - especially since you wrote to me and asked and I looked up more about all four. Orotate apparently has the quality of improving athletic endurance and heart health as well as to treat deficiency too! wow, just perfect for me. smiles.

• Posted

Thanks Nancy! I just replied to your private message, but I'll look into the Orotate!

• Posted

Magnesium glycinate or magnesium ascorbate are good. The body will break down the mag oxide . I am unsure about how much oxalate is metabolized by the body and whether it is excreted in the urine or not. Something new to look up. Yes, DO NOT drink mag citrate or you will have the runs....

• Posted

I exchanged for Glycinate yesterday and its been fine so far 😃 Yes, the citrate wasn't working for me lol

• Posted

can anyone tell me what is wrong with magnesium oxide?

• Posted

HI sarb... there is nothing wrong with it - it's just that the oxide form is not very well "digested" by humans... here I found a cool site from a physician, Dr. Laurie Steelsmith:

" In addition to consulting with your primary care physician or naturopath, here’s a brief breakdown of 7 of the different types of magnesium to aid you in your efforts:

1. Magnesium chloride

Perhaps the most popular magnesium supplement on the market, magnesium chloride—which is extracted from brine or ocean water, and is argued to be the most effective form of dietary supplementation—organically encourages sleep, digestion, bone health and a sense of calm (both mental and physical). That said, supplementing with this form of magnesium may cause diarrhea.

2. Magnesium sulfate

Sound familiar? If you, too, are the sort of person to read the fine print on everything from cereal boxes to bath products, chances are magnesium sulfate will remind you of bath time. Otherwise known as Epsom salts, magnesium sulfate has long been a boon for athletes—or, really, anyone with sore muscles; it’s also widely known for its laxative effects.†

3. Magnesium citrate

Citrate might sound familiar too—consider it an erudite way of saying that it’s derived from citric acid (in this case, magnesium salt is obtained from the citrus acid). With excellent bioavailability—that is, the efficacy with which a substance is absorbed and used by the body—it’s no wonder magnesium citrate one of the most highly recommended magnesium supplements by health professionals. Often used to naturally support digestion—specifically, to alleviate constipation and acid indigestion—it’s also, bonus points, easy on the wallet. However, it may lead to dehydration (and the imbalance of minerals that arrives with this), in that it pulls water into the intestines.

4. Magnesium oxide

With lower levels of bioavailability than its other iterations—that is, it scores only 4 percent, while magnesium citrate has a bioavailability of 90 percent—magnesium oxide is found in Milk of Magnesia and similar products, and, as such, organically encourages improved digestion.†

5. Magnesium glycinate

Feeling stressed? This may be the form for you. While magnesium in its many different forms has been shown to naturally support muscle relaxation, magnesium glycinate might just take the cake (to note: the amino acid glycine is known for the calming impact it can have on the mind and body).† Additionally, it has optimum bioavailability and, unlike some of its kin, isn’t known for its laxative properties.

6. Magnesium orotate

Those searching for supplements that may organically encourage heart health might give this type a try. With its inclusion of orotic acid (formerly known as B13), it’s also a favorite among athletes, given that it may naturally support the repair of tissues, as well as enhanced stamina and performance.† This is partly reflected in its price tag: Magnesium orotate often comes with a heftier fee than, say, magnesium oxide or citrate.

7. Magnesium L-threonate

Dubbed a “breakthrough” supplement by some, magnesium L-threonate possesses not only good bioavailability but also the potential to improve cognitive functions, with the National Institutes of Health reporting that memory deficits—particularly short term memory loss caused by chronic pain—may be just one of the potential benefits of this form of magnesium. This is encouraging news, especially when considered with other research, including a 17-year study that followed more than 1,000 Japanese people over the age of 60; those who consumed more than 200 mg per day were 37% less likely to develop any type of dementia. In the interim, magnesium L-threonate may sharpen your wit and ability to remember an acquaintance’s name—just as it may remind you to eat your legumes: A mere cup of black beans will give you 120 mg of the magical mineral, possibly leaving you feeling just as mighty.

†These statements have not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease.

Dr. Laurie Steelsmith

Laurie Steelsmith, ND, LAc, is a naturopathic physician and licensed acupuncturist who specializes in women’s health. She is the co-author of Great Sex, Naturally: Every Woman’s Guide to Enhancing Her Sexuality Through the Secrets of Natural Medicine and co-author of Natural Choices for Women’s Health: How the Secrets of Natural and Chinese Medicine Can Create a Lifetime of Wellness. Visit her website

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.