What worked for me: Eliminate Nightshades from your diet

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm currently 23 and I've been suffering with HS since around 17 years old, which is as far as I can remember. I am a super potato lover. I'll eat anything that's made of potatoes. Sooner or later I started have flare ups and boils under my arm-pits. It hurts to walk and sometimes I just get random pains in my arms or legs. After going on a Paleo diet, the HS cleared up and my pains went away. So I started introducing things back into my diet such as wholewheat foods, dairy, etc. As soon as I got back on the potatoes, BOOM, more flare-ups. I went to the doctors, and whilst she diagnosed me HS she was completely stumped. Only gave me a prescription to a bottle of Hibi-scrub which only made me feel clean. 

I recommend anyone who is suffering with this to eliminate nightshades from their diet and see how it works for you! 

2 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. So is it just starchy foods that caused your HS to flare? I'm not entirely sure what the nightshades include as a list of foods...? Does carbs in general bother your HS...? If you could let me know that would be awesome. Please and thank you. Sorry to hear you're suffering from HS. I am too. I have it in my armpits. It's a huge let down to have this disease. Good luck and I wish you well.
    • Posted

Hi Nicole,

Tomatoes.

Eggplant.

Potatoes.

Goji Berries.

Tobacco.

Peppers (bell peppers, chili peppers, paprika, tamales, tomatillos, pimentos, cayenne, etc)

Would be all nightshade foods.

Tomato gives me the same effect as potatoes does but I rarely ever eat tomatoes. If I had something like spaghetti bolognese for example, I would get flare-ups as well. Carbs in general don't affect me and neither does dairy (even though I'm lactose-intolerant, but that's a whole other story). I hope that clears it up for you and good luck with your HS as well. 

• Posted

Thank you Benny for letting me know. I've heard of "nightshades" but never really knew what they were. I'm 27 now and I was only diagnosed a year ago because it just happened out of the blue. I got the bumps under my arms and then around 6 months or so later I got the holes. I was sad to hear that tomatoes were on the list cuz I'm a huge tomato eater...and a carb junkie. I also do eat wheat bread. God. Why don't we just stop eating lol. Totally unfair. I think we should just wake up one morning and the HS be GONE. Forever! Well thank you for your help. I appreciate it.
    • Posted

I tried to post some informative articles for you to read about nightshades but the post is unfortunately being moderated. I recommend googling "HS nightshades". Everything on the first and second page will give you some insightful information about nightshades and even a lot of success stories. Even people who smoke might have HS flare-ups due to the tobacco content. 

"Why don't we just stop eating lol"

I agree with this, it's incredibly unfair that we have to avoid the best foods :c 

• Posted

Ya tell me about it. It's always got to be something. Thank you for the information. I will look that up. Once I was diagnosed that was pretty much it. I wasn't really told much else so it was very helpful talking to you. I guess you learn something new everyday. I also tried helping someone with information but it got deleted as well. So now I'm just more careful so that it doesn't happen to me again. Thank you for your help! smile
    • Posted

Hi I have had HS since 2004 I don't eat any nightshade foods and it's pretty bad right now I am staring Humira on Mobday and freaking out a little I have lost almost 60 pounds which has helped slot with my HS and hear people gaining 20-30 pounds in a month and it only starts to work after 3-4 months and sometimes has no effect on the HS has anyone taken Humira with good results and no side effects or taking it now with good results?
    • Posted

Nicole mine started in just my armpit, now I get flare up everywhere you can get them. Oh do you deodorant or something else? When I don't have a flare up I use any deodorant without aluminum.

• Posted

Same for me! I cannot have the slightest of nightshades. If also sensitive to coconut products and nuts.
    • Posted

I am unsure about coconut products and nuts, does that flare up your HS?  [sad]

Nightshades for me are practically edible poison lol. I've replaced my mashed potatoes with blended cauliflower, it's surprisingly comparable in texture and flavour. Making sweet potato crisps/chips eases me off the crisps/chips cravings. As for the tomatoes, paprika and chillies, it's literally in everything processed. 

• Posted

I'm not a huge nut eater so I would have to say probably not a trigger for mine. See ever since I was diagnosed I've had the outbreak the entire time with no clear ups. It's been a constant thing for me. So diet-wise I'm guessing that I would have a hard time figuring out what would be triggering mine...but tomatoes do play a huge part in my diet along with dairy. Basically everything I eat or like to eat is poison lol aside from the healthy stuff. I'm also kinda stubborn too which doesn't help...but I know I should try to do some things differently.
    • Posted

Yes! Coconut and nuts are additional sensitivities of mine with nightshades being the worst. Palm oil (a coconut product) does that flare up my HS but gives me cystic acne on my face. Nightshades are toxic for autoimmune conditions because those vegetables have a natural occurring pesticide in them. I can't remember what it's called but I don't know why I'm sensitive to the other groups. Before I developed HS the nuts gave me bad ulcers in my mouth which I found out later was an autoimmune reaction. Then along came the HS. Thankfully it's under control and in remission as long as I don't mess up!
    • Posted

Wow that's awful. Mines been a constant thing since even before I was even diagnosed. So I never knew what triggered mine from the start. Glad to hear though that you're in remission and hopefully for you and everyone who may be it stays that way. I've never seen remission and I'm not so sure that I will. I've got to try avoiding nightshades and see what happens but I'm stubborn and I like to eat things I like and not have to change so I guess I'll see what happens...well good luck and keep up with your remission and wish you well.
    • Posted

You can do it! I was so bad, I had to do it. I would have been disabled by now if I hadn't of. I just remember that those foods= pain! I'm a better wife, mother, employee and friend without all that pain and misery holding me back. No food is worth that feeling! God bless!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.