What worked for me: Eliminate Nightshades from your diet

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm currently 23 and I've been suffering with HS since around 17 years old, which is as far as I can remember. I am a super potato lover. I'll eat anything that's made of potatoes. Sooner or later I started have flare ups and boils under my arm-pits. It hurts to walk and sometimes I just get random pains in my arms or legs. After going on a Paleo diet, the HS cleared up and my pains went away. So I started introducing things back into my diet such as wholewheat foods, dairy, etc. As soon as I got back on the potatoes, BOOM, more flare-ups. I went to the doctors, and whilst she diagnosed me HS she was completely stumped. Only gave me a prescription to a bottle of Hibi-scrub which only made me feel clean. 

I recommend anyone who is suffering with this to eliminate nightshades from their diet and see how it works for you! 

2 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

i agree...me too...huge difference since I changed my diet...

• Posted

Hi! I too have HS for 20 yrs. It took over 10 yrs to get diagnosed correctly. I am allergic to all antibiotics. A month or so ago after reading several blogs I cut out night shades, no shredded cheese (potato starch), peppers (I love hot peppers), no potatoes, no tomatoes, and guess what!? No cysts, no oozing open wounds, no bandaging myself. I have had salsa and no problems. I ate raw tomatoes last wknd and oh no! Yes, open wound, bleeds, oozes, painful. It is worth it to me to not ever eat night shades again. I enjoy not bandaging my groin area, I love not being in pain when wearing panties. My dog loves our extensive walks and runs. Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge. No more night shades for me. And I'm done "testing" the "theory", it's a proven fact for me.
    • Posted

I agree that it has been helpful being a part of this support system because I myslef have learned a few things. I'm glad that you're having better luck which is always nice to hear. I on the other hand have had my HS for a couple years, I was dealing with it for almost a year before I even knew what it was or diagnosed. Mine has been a constant battle without any remission since the beginning. I've learned about the nightshades thing and I'm more than sure that it does work for people cuz I've heard it from multiple people. I'm in a different spot than some other people who have the HS due to the fact that I have PCOS which plays a role in having the disease so even if I were to try and stay away from nightshades I may never see remission. PCOS is permanent and that alone causes tons of problems. Not to mention that a lot of the foods listed as nightshades I eat on a regular basis. They all play a huge role in my diet but I also have a lot.of things working against me anyway. I'm still learning to live with it as time goes on. I only have it in my armpits as of right now to my knowledge (knock on wood). I am glad though to hear that people are having good luck with eliminating the nightshades even though some people love some or all.of the things on the nightshades list. Good luck and wish you well.
    • Posted

Yay! Way to go! If telling our story makes 1 person's life better, it's worth the time to tell it! Congratulations! Keep spreading YOUR story!
    • Posted

I think processed tomatoes have a little less impact on me, for example I can eat ketchup sometimes. I get the groin part. That's the worse place to get it, especially when they end up leaving scars it can leave you self-conscious as heck, men and women. But it seems women get it more than men do but it's still unfair that I end up with this but my family can eat whatever the hell they want.

People say that their are no scientific studies or links to this anecdotal evidence, well I say scientists need to get their butt moving and start researching because avoiding nightshades is clearly the answer. Well, to us anyways.

• Posted

Thanks, I know it was a struggle to not eat french fries and mashed potatoes, yum! But not having these cyst like boils has a huge effect on my day to day living. I was told it only takes 21 days to break a habit or a pattern. Best wishes!
    • Posted

Yes, where is the research? Are we born with it but it lies dormant until something triggers it (foods, stress)? A few weeks ago my mom are some mashed potatoes, I wanted to grab her plate and eat them. But now after the raw tomato incident, forget it. I lost the desire to inflict more pain upon myself. To all HS sufferes, keep up the dialogue, continue to share your knowledge.
    • Posted

I have wondered the same thing myself. Anything's possible...cuz aside from my pcos there was an incident that had happened that was very "emotionally" painful for me and I was constantly stressed for a long time and stress can do all sorts of weird things to your body. Something weird and unheard of, at least to my knowledge happened to me due to tons of stress that I had when I was working in my career cuz it was a very terrible atmosphere to be in everyday so who knows.
    • Posted

Well when I was first diagnosed I looked online for information on the disease and I did happen to come across things about the immune system and I assumed that that could be an issue I have but I don't really know if I do or not. I don't hardly get sick though but when I do I get sick...who knows
    • Posted

Well when I was first diagnosed I looked online for information on the disease and I did happen to come across things about the immune system and I assumed that that could be an issue I have but I don't really know if I do or not. I don't hardly get sick though but when I do I get sick...who knows
    • Posted

• Posted

My dermatologist said people with HS have overreactive immune systems. That's probably why you don't get sick often. She said your immune system is attacking the hole where your sweat gland meets your hair follicle. So your immune system is reacting to more than it should.
    • Posted

Boils run in my family, some get one and that's it but me on the other hand I'm not so lucky. I get them everywhere and they stay there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.