What would you take for anxiety ALONE!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hypothetically, if I no longer felt depressed but still had crippling anxiety what could I take?   Beta blockers wouldn't help as they only treat physical symptoms not mental ones i.e. they don't take away the fear.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

CBT cognitice behavioral training. No meds unless you have one of those extreme moments then a tiny bit of xanax as needed.
    • Posted

I did enquire about that, but here in the UK the waiting list is up to a year!!!
    • Posted

I went to the doctor about this and he still gave me citalopram... never been on ADS ever. Had panic attacks and slight anxiety fir about 29 years. But coped with herbal remedies and Diazapam.

Tried beta blockers years ago but like you said they didn't help the mental effects.

Diazapam really helped me loads... but doctor said it can't be used for a long time - ie more than a month 😕.

I'm not sure why he's put me on citalopram - but all I can say is it tough with side effects.

However it's only day 4 lol.

From the lovely posts I've had I'm really going to bear with it and hope I'll finally be able to stop setting ever increasing restrictions on my life...

Cxxx

Xx

• Posted

Valerie,

I only have anxiety. Not depression and I am on Citalopram. Not sure where you live but I am in Canada and Cit is used for both here. (I also have Lorazepam PRN) 

XX

• Posted

I agree with Robin. Do not be mislead by the name. Antidepressants treat anxiety too.
    • Posted

I agree, but I cannot take SSRI's and everything else I do a search on has EAR RINGING possibilities, I have this at the moment on Amitriptyline, no way I am going to risk it again.
    • Posted

Valerie,

Have you tried the natural route? Wonder if that would work for you. 

Xx

• Posted

Which route is that?  I keep busy all day, I go out walking a lot with my dog and I try to eat what I can, what more can I possibly do??
    • Posted

Not sure, thinking like herbal or something if you can not take SSRI's. 

• Posted

Oh no! Sorry that you are not having luck with something.  sad

What about Mindful meditation? When I go to bed at night I listen to an app on my phoone which helps me relax. (you can do this whenever, I just use at bed time) It helps me decompress so I can relax enough for sleep to come.  I hope you find something that works for you!!! Xx

• Posted

I seem to remember answering this question before? 

The fact that a drug has POSSIBILITIES is very far from saying it WILL in your case.    During trials of the drug it may have been one person in 10 thousand that got it!   You have to take a risk sometimes, or you would never cross the road!  The leaflet that comes in the packet states the risk of each side effect.  

• Posted

Hi Valarie,I have been on propranalol ( Beta blockers) for many years.But I find having reflexology & jacuzzis on a regularly helps me.Also I am on rescue remedy. It's not easy for me as I am Hubby's full time carer,as he's not well.He's got chronic on going osteoarthritis of lumber spine,hips & knee's.Also he's severely sighted & deaf.I had a hip replacement in march & not out of problems myself.sorry for the rant.I do find having our two small dogs a great comfort.regards Amanda
    • Posted

I was my hubbys carer as well, how exhausting is that!!  You didn't rant, we are sharing experiences.  I am a widow now and I find the evenings hard being on my own.
    • Posted

I am not a widow but can somewhat relate to what you are saying. My Dad passed and I became my Mom's care giver. Then a few months later she passed away. My husband is Military and lives away from home most of the time.  sad   For poeple like us with Anxiety or Anxiety / depression it sure makes it hard to fill these voids. 
    • Posted

Evenings are worst for me as well. I actually just adopted a 5 year old dog from the Humane Society to help with my lonliness.  Retreiver/ Hound mix.. lots of walks for us.. clears my mind.  
    • Posted

Dogs are wonderful, I had 3 but only have a little Bichon Frise now,  my fave programme is The Supervet!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.