What year were you born ?

Posted , 14 users are following.

For no other reason than I'm a nosey git. 

So what year were you born ?, and an interesting fact from that year

I,ll start. age 43,  1971, the same year the production of the Morris Minor ceased

5 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

In the same year but after I was born the Allied invasion of Normandy took place.
    • Posted

Hello Nick,

I must be the granny in here as I was born in 1936...and was 3 when 2nd world war broke out..

Millyimp

xx

• Posted

Ah but when I was two we lived in a cardboard box, ate potatoes for breakfast, lunch and dinner and I signed-up to fight the Germans. 
    • Posted

Awwwwwwwww you poor poor soul,who held your pen for you when you signed up ,twisted
    • Posted

I couldn't afford a pen, so I used a lump of charcoal from next door's fire.

We couldn't afford a fire of our own, and in any event it would not have been the most sensible thing to make when you live in a cardboard box.

My shoes were the worst thing that I experienced as I didn't have any, so I had to tie old editions of the Manchester Evening News on my feet. I am probably the only person to have walked on Stanley Matthew's face.

When I was three we had a big win on the Pools, so we were able to buy a larger cardboard box. razz

• Posted

I hope the charcoal  from next doors fire was not still hot lol,and that the cardboard box was not a shredded wheat  box....now as for walking on Stan Mathews face ...did he smile at you through his paper ....I am so glad you were evenutally able to buy a new and bigger cardboard box......nowwwwwwwwwwwwwww who else was in the box with you ?

twisted

• Posted

Well you see Milly, there was my mother and myself and the very biggest spotty dog you ever did see. I was quite lucky really as I was allocated a one square foot space at one end of the box - it was really palatial compared to the original box which was only 2 ft square in total.

Ah those were the days. razz

• Posted

Ahhhhhhhhh yes they were they days Archemedes,

so much so, we wouldnt want to go back to those good old days ...now would we twisted your good old spotty dog wouldnt thank you now if he was still living in that good old box

• Posted

Actually the dog refused to out for a while which concerned me a little bit, but I resolved not do disturb him as he seemed to sleep the days away.

On fateful day I discovered that the dog had actually passed away in situe and had probably been lying there for about a fortnight - bless him.

There was much more room in the box after I turfed him out.

Yes those were the days - what fun! razz

• Posted

Oh what a fun time was had by you my friend .....by what means do you have your fun days now then ,no more box to live in ,shoes to wear ,and ????????????

twisted

• Posted

Just got a much larger box with much more land attached to it.

I'm a bit more careful with the (living) dog we have at the moment.

As a precaution I boot him out of bed every morning at 1am, 2am, 3am, 4am and 5am - as I don't want an action replay of the 'dead dog for a fortnight' scene (so typical of Brian Rix comedies).

I say, don't we humans have furtive imaginations when we want to?

I was hoping to invite some equally ludicrous comments on these posts, but as nobody else has 'twigged' I think I might let this dead dog lie. cheesygrin

• Posted

Yes I know LOL seems such a shame no one has taken your bate Archemedes...why not have another go maybe someone will twigg this time ,maybe we could give them a small clue loltwisted
    • Posted

Hey Arch ~

Our box was Frigidaire, which was one of the largest in that time.  Ohhh, we were waiting for cars to be delivered in a box!   It was so much fun when it rained as we were finally able to wash  our clothes on and our bodies.  The walk to the creek to use the washboard was unbelievable, at least 30 miles up  hill.  But we lived through it and now, we live in nice size 'hut'.   When  I was 3 my father won a lamp!  it was a LEG!  he said we'll always be "one leg up".  

Ah well, those were the good ole days smile

Warm regards,

Frustrated

• Posted

Hi Nick

My son was born in 1971 and that was the year  we changed to decimal currency.  I was born in 1941, the year of the blitz.  I was born in a Liverpool hospital but my mother was transferred to Southport because of the bombing.

• Posted

was born 1960

when harold macmillian was priminster 

man city signed dennise law for a record national fee of £55.000

state of emergency is lifted in kenya

grand national first televised ,winner merryman 

19 firemen killed in worse peace time fire sevice disater ,cheapside street whisky bond fire .

eddie cochran died aged 21

last day of legal tender for the farthing 

end of conscription . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.