When can I start using moistouriser or bio oil on my scar ?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi wound has dried out staples removed . When can I. Use bio oil or creams ?

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

you can start now I was told best is coco lotion or ccream. I haven't used it for being lazy.
  • Posted

are the lotion only use for try to leave less scarf?
  • Posted

Hi Mary

As soon as possible......so when the dressing comes off.

I was told Bio Oil....looked in Boots...quite expensive....went to Superdrug and got their own make, not called Bio Oil but it does the job.

Some people say Baby Oil.....I liked the superdrug one.

Love

Eileen  UK

• Posted

I'm from the USA and some words are a bit different here.....but someone told me to use bio oil......  are you saying bio oil is the same as baby oil????  thanks
    • Posted

Hi Ginny

No its not the same but some people say it has much the same effect

Havent actually tried it.....I liked the other one and the smell of it was lovely.

Love

Eileen  UK

• Posted

Hi Bio Oil is not same as baby oil it is for scars and stretch marks . Haven't tried it yet but it's been recommended .
    • Posted

Hi Ginny

I mentioned it in one of my posts at the beginning ....its the one from Superdrug.

Sorry cant remember where you are? UK?

This one is called restoring skin care oil....formulated for scars, stretch marks, ageing skin and dehydrated skin. Its cheaper than the actual bio oil.

Its almond oil, canola oil and soy bean oil, grapeseed oil rosemary oil and sunflower oil.....I'm reading off the packet now LOL

I think its the almond oil i can smell mostly.

It also says suitable for use on face and body....contains Vitamin A and E. Use as a bath oil or after sun moisturiser.

It seems as if it can be used for a lot of things after you stop using it on your scar.....I used it twice a day.  I might try it for some other things now  LOL

Love

Eileen  UK

• Posted

Thank you Eileen....I am in the USA and I dont know of a superdrug....but i will find it in a drug store near me.... 
  • Posted

Hello Mary, I have been using bio-oil since the dressing was off. Was advised this by physio lady and it really helps - twice daily for at least 3-4mths but I am still using it now over 6 mths on from op. As long as the scar is not still weeping in any way you need to rub in quite firmly and more so where the muscle is the hardest. Helps with easing the tention along the scar line. Best wishes Arthur
    • Posted

tip - apply either after shower or bath or  use a bath sponge over the area before appling. I do my after morning shower and in the evening prio to bed. I use the branded bio-oil which is a bit expensive but its really good and non-greasy.
  • Posted

I use Bio Oil. Brilliant. I got mine off Ebay worked out alot cheaper.

Will be using it on my other hip next. Which is due around march time.

Jane 😊

• Posted

I was told I could put moinsterser on it,but not massage it in for about a month by the district nurse which I did,Now massaging in regularly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.