When did you walk without s walker after TKR?

Posted , 13 users are following.

3 weeks post TKR today. Suspect I will need my walker for a while. When did you walk independently or graduate to crutches/cane?

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It was at about three weeks that I found myself walking away from my walker without thinking about it. I think you'll know when you're ready. I used my cane for about a week after that. I noticed I really had to pay attention when walking without the walker or cane to be sure I wasn't walking with a limp.

• Posted

Some therapists/surgeons try to take the assistive devices away on a schedule instead of when the patient feels comfortable. Personally, I've never seen any logic in that approach. My original tkr I was about 3 weeks on the walker and a couple of months on a cane. I had 4 surgeries and 30rounds of radiation before the tkr. After the revision 9 years later I fell the day after surgery and broke my femur which required a hip to knee plate which was held in place by 8 screws. I was 6 weeks on a walker....the first 3 with total immobilization. This started the 3rd week in January and by June I was off all assistive devices and finished with PT. Since then I've had 2 serious bouts with staph that finally required the entire prosthesis to be removed for 4 months, the leg immobilized with no weight bearing or bend. That time they put in a spacer and I was on a walker 4 months then they put in a new prosthesis and I had to start the usual rehab protocol. That's been a year and half and I still fight pain continually but haven't resorted to a cane. I would be better off y

Using a cane but my wife is in advanced stages of Parkinson's disease and I need both hands free to help her. It won't be long before we will have to give in and place her in an assisted living facility

When that happens I'll go back to using the cane. Ive always been of the opinion that safety is primary as a secondary injury is just a straight shot to a much longer and difficult recovery.

• Posted

OFG,

You have been through an immense difficult time. I am sorry to hear about your spouse's illness.

I really cannot see my leg being weight bearing enough to walk without the walker in the next 2 weeks. I had a limp for a year before the surgery. I have bad plantar fasciitis in my right foot and although the right knee is not as bad as the left have ongoing OA pain as well. When I had the TKR they found that I had severe abnormalities in my knee, a deformity I was apparently born with. I do not know how much all these factors influence my recovery. My quad was noticeable weak before surgery.

It is hard not to compare yourself.

Here's what is really really baffling to me... After surgery and during my 3 day hospital stay I was doing exceptionally well and kept hearing it from all the nurses and my surgeon. So much so that the physical therapist wanted to discharge me with crutches but to err on the safe side sent me home with the walker saying I won't need it for long at all. Then I got home and the swelling started. For about 10 days after getting home I couldn't eat. I forced an orange once a day. I still have no appetite but force down small meals and a protein shake for the sake of healing. That could be playing another part in my recovery. But... At the end of the day it all comes down to taking one day at a time, ice, elevate, stay on top of pain, doing the exercises.

• Posted

Don't forget the one other big ingredient....REST...and plenty of it. Sit when you can....sleep when the body asks day or night. Remember, the body needs water and lots of it. Stay hydrated.

• Posted

I stopped using 2 crutches at about weeks. Then went to 1. Used a cane at about 4 weeks. I'm. Now at 9 week. Don't use anything around the house now. But husband prefers me to use a cane if we go out, for support, it does help when you get tired, helps balance etc. Good luck

• Posted

Hi Milla

I used a walker for a day in hospital, the day after the op,the next day was given crutches, the next day discharged.

On the day of my op they were 19 of us had the same op. We were all taken to the ward of the unit where we had our ops. I got onto the ward about 22.00! So no getting out of bed then! There were 3 staff on during the night! Rushed they were, but they were lovely & helpful.

I was told to only use one crutch at about 3 weeks po, & where safe no crutches. I now use a stick as my other knee needs TKR & is very painful, so needs support.

Physio is still ongoing.

Did you have general anaesthetic or spinal block. We all had spinal block, so were awake but had sedation.

Good luck in your rehab, remember don't measure yourself by others. It's your journey no one else's, you get there when you get there!

There endeth the sermon for today.

All the best

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Hi

I came out of hospital with two sticks and after two weeks I just used one, as I found it more easier with just one.

Good healing

• Posted

Hi I didn't use anything at 3 weeks but everyone is different, I am 10 weeks Post op today but feel that I still can't walk the stairs up is ok but down is a struggle and if I am walking too much my knee starts paining and swelling.... I hope that you feel better soon as everyone on here will tell you, your in for the long run in recovery it's def not a quick fix

Jan

• Posted

Hi

I had the same problem with the stairs at 3 weeks you need around 115 degrees bend to be able to come down stairs. It will come slowly.

Ice, hot baths and elevation.

Good healing

• Posted

Hi, I was walking with 2 sticks when leaving the hospital after 3 days. Two weeks after that I was walking with 1 stick. I walked with that for a further month. Then no sticks or anything after that. Walking very slowly and carefully, but just gradually got more confident and speedier. Now I walk as I used to before operation.  Just takes time.
  • Posted

They never provided a walker for me in hospital, just the crutches I brought in myself. . .so I had one delivered for home. . However, once the physio saw it she said 'No way!' so it was back to crutches.  I was slow walking. . .found it impossibly to lift my operated leg. . and it was about day 13 before I really was able to move about fairly freely.  Caught up in the end though, so remember we are all different in speeds of recovery. 

• Posted

I am 18 days post surgery for tkr on right knee. I used walker for about 10 days and am using cane now .  I am a bit uncoordinated with cane and frequently have my foot/cane not synchronized.  The few times I have been out, I often stop to rest or sit down since fatigue and pain are still a concern. I will not go unsupported for a long while.
  • Posted

Hi Milla!

I had the same experience as Tammy! I would be in the kitchen and look around for my walker. I had LEFT IT in the living room! I stopped using my walker when I realized I was spending more time LOOKING for it than USING it!😁

I DID "furniture walk" a lot inside the house, I remember because the walker made it really hard if not impossible to carry anything from one place to another.

I used one cane for awhile when going outside. It freed me up SO MUCH MORE! Also, I could carry something in my other hand at the same time while using a cane. THEN I found myself carrying my cane under my arm or LEAVING IT one place as I went across the yard to do something else.

I think when you get confidence you will be ready to eliminate your walker or cane. There shouldn't be any strict timetable.

It DID help me to walk in my bare feet inside the house once I eliminated my walker. Bare feet allowed me to really sense my movements and practice touching my heel down first and rolling from my heel to my toes as I took each step. I went very slowly and deliberately. It felt weird because I had been walking strangely for quite awhile with bent knees due to pain prior to surgery.

I did all my PT sessions in bare feet, too. That was VERY helpful to me. You may find it helps you feel more secure and connected. If you have a pair of shoes that give you more stability than others, wear THEM.

Wishing you much success as you walk into a whole new life without pain!😊

• Posted

Hi Milla2017 its been 9 months for me I came home using a cane with4 sets in bottom.. forgot the name..lol.. But I used it for 2 months the the regular cane a lot of therapy in house the PT outside... You get stay positive. Doing great now.

Diva nana

• Posted

I know which one you are referring to. Definitely my first choice after switching.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.