When do you know when to do things?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a Laparoscopy hysterectomy on 7th March. They found endometriosis and ended up taking my ovaries out too and had to remove some from my bowel. I was allowed home two days later. My biggest issue has be

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had a Laparoscopy hysterectomy on 7th March. They found endometriosis and ended up taking my ovaries out too and had to remove some from my bowel. I was allowed home two days later. My biggest issue has been tiredness and wind. 

I have literally just pottered around the house this past week. No housework. 

When should I start going out for walks and doing the pelvic exercises the doctor recommended? Sorry it posted above before I had chance to finish. I have been quite down as we were never able to have children and I had always queried endometriosis over the years. We adopted 2 children instead. I am 38, had the hysterectomy because they found fibroids and something in the lining of my womb. I have always suffered with bad periods so this was the next course of action.

Any help/advice would be gratefully received. Feeling lost at the moment sad

• Posted

Well let’s start off with my glad they found  and took care of the problem. Remember these surgeries are like giving birth and sometime more, it’s ok to feel the way you do because it’s healing. I too do a little her and there and find my way back to bed. It’s tome to take care and heal the proper way. You’ve been blessing with those 2 angels so stay strong and this too shall pass. Blessings 
    • Posted

Thank you I am blessed to have them and I am truly grateful.

Should I be out walking now and doing my exercises? I am very tired and been told by friends that have had it done just to nap when I feel I need to. But worried not doing enough. Not due back at work till after easter thankfully smile

• Posted

Remember you've had major surgery.  Your body is telling you that it needs rest.  Your external stitches will heal much more quickly than internal.  It can take up to 6 months for your internal parts to knit together.  Your body has this one chance to heal give it the rest that it needs.   Best of luck! xx

• Posted

Thank you. I suppose it's difficult when I am so used to being on the go all the time. Luckily I have a fab family and my hubby was off work with me till today. 

When I was in the hospital the nurses and doctors kept saying to be moving and walking so wasn't sure seems a bit contradictory. The weather has been rubbish anyway so walking has been walking round the house that's it x

• Posted

Well, I think that what they mean is that if you can get yourself to where you need to go in the house, kitchen, bathroom, etc. that's great.  That doesn't mean you should start cooking and cleaning, though.  My doctor told me not to lift anything heavier than a half gallon milk carton for 6 weeks.  That's why printed post op instructions are so important.  In my case, I was seen regularly at 3 week intervals, and told how I could gradually resume activity. xx 

• Posted

I wouldn’t and I’m not worried about exercising at this point. Exercise will be there, but healing is priority. Bodies need time to heal, which is why WE need to listen and do just that.  Stay strong 
  • Posted

Hey, sorry to hear this. I am 9 weeks post op. I had ovaries removed after having my womb out 4 years back. This hasn’t been worst for sure. The emotional side is not great at all. I really wouldn’t start doing any exercises yet if I’m honest. Keep walking. And listen to your body. I hear this “feeling lost”. I know exactly what you mean. Nobody prepares you do they. It is the sudden shut down of hormones to the brain. Please don’t rush this. Walking is the best. Try pelvic floor 4 weeks post op. I am a fully trained fitness instructor and I am still taking it easy. Let these stitches knit and heal. 
    • Posted

Thank you for your kind words and glad to know what I am feeling is normal. I will try and get out walking and build that up gradually and leave off pelvic floor exercises. 

I am experiencing pins and needles down my right leg which started in my foot and has now spread, is this normal?? xx

• Posted

Walking is real important. You need to go outside and go 10 minutes away (if weather ok, I don't know where you are) and if fine with that then steadily increase that each day. It will help move the wind along too. Why is pelvic floor excercises any use to you when you don't have prolapses? And the usual causes aren't connected to you? Giving birth is the major one. Plus remember your body has been plunged into immediate surgical induced menopause. Some girls start major symptoms of that once awake in recovery room. The more you rest then the more shut down your body expects. It's a catch 22. But if you get doing these walks regularly it will help wake you up bodily and mentally by getting out. Hopefully your kiddies don't need lifting, as they too old? Did the Dr. discuss the fact you'll be plunged straight into menopause?

• Posted

Pins and needles? Hmmmm I can recall having them. That is usually a sign of something pressing on a nerve. If you still have them I would call your Dr just to talk it through with them? Have you still got them? 
    • Posted

I’m not sure what that may be since I haven’t got that.... yet. However drinks lots of water has to be priority, due to UTI we don’t need while healing. I do feel pain across the pelvic area, I hope these are healing pains not UTI. Stay strong ladies. 
    • Posted

No he didn't I have been having hot flushes. I am going to arrange to see my GP this week. I will endeavour to get out and about too, weather not great but will just wrap up!! Thanks 

• Posted

Yes down my right leg and foot and even been in my left leg a bit today. I am ringing doctors tomorrow to arrange an appointment so will ask when I am there. Thanks 
    • Posted

Best idea. And please don’t be hard on yourself. Us humans always seem to be able to be negative about ourselves. I am now 9 week post op and some things I promised myself I would do and didn’t during this time... first time ever... it was ok not to do them. Those damn ovaries have a lot to answer too. They really do mess up the brain. It’s ok not to do what you have planned to do. Please don’t go out in the snow. Or cold. Chill out. Feet up. Before you know it you will be back in the same boring mundane routine. Ensure you get a Dr appt. Say you are post op from major surgery and things are not right. They will definitely see you. 
    • Posted

Thanks managed a little walk this morning with my hubby and then I have rested rest of the day. Seeing doctor on Thursday x
    • Posted

Great news. Take anything as a positive and don’t beat yourself up if you plan to do something and it doesn’t happen. Listen to your body. You will go through a tired stage around 4 weeks too. Just be warned. Let me know how you get on at the Drs x
    • Posted

Good new is always great. Thanks for the heads up on 4week stage. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.