When is the right time for no more pain meds

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am 14 weeks post op and the last time I called in to get my pain meds they only gave me 30 pills . This is down from 90 pills, I get the feeling they dont want me to have them. I have never taken an meds unless it was time, never even took a breakthrough pill. So i just stop taken them completely so i will have them when i go back to work on mothers day. My pain is ok but i have a heaviness after i work out. I am taken Aleve and its ok, am i doing myself harm or is it ok? Maybe I should tell you I had both knees done, so I don't have a good leg to stand on.

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You stop taking them, when you don't need them.

If you are in pain you still do need them.

Having both knees done is a whole lot of pain and stiffness.

Don't let your dr decide if you are in pain, it's you who has to live with it.

• Posted

Are you kidding?  14 weeks is not a long time for BTKR Tana.  You still need to rest and recover.
    • Posted

Mary

It's not unbearable and i can use what I have when I go back to work. Since you are so nice can you give me a little insight.I have seen here do you workouts and then I also see rest. When I rest alot I feel like I should be doing something, sometimes I get so upset. Am I doing enough, am I doing to much? I have no point of reference,how long does it take to heal when both knees are done at the same time. I am so sad...sad

• Posted

I just typed a response and it disappeared so if two appear here forgive me.

Tana, first of all stop feeling guilty.  Your body has been through the wringer and it needs to recover.  You only have so much energy, so conserve it. Your body will speak to you....... listen to it. Enjoy a good rest when you need it. 

No more "Sad Tana".  Like is too short!

• Posted

Mary is right, you can't excercise all the time,when's your body going to get the rest and healing time, that's important too.

Don't feel sad, you'll get there, we all do at different times.

It will all be worth it then🙂

• Posted

Mary

Thanks for the kind words. I will try to be more happy,some days it's a challenge. I am only going back to work in a reduced position as I don't think I am ready to full on wait tables. But my boss wants me there on Mother's Day I am a little hesitant but will just tell him when I've had enough. Wish me luck smile

• Posted

Tana, 

I did too much standing yesterday and was miserable.....standing is hard.  I cannot imagine you. Please be your own advocate and know when to say "enough"

• Posted

Mary

I agree when I stand in one place its really hard and i have to move. I plan on taking my stool so I can perch my boss knows I will be limited in what I can do.

• Posted

Tana,  I'm thinking that Dr's today are concerned with dependence on these drugs.  I noticed that my refills went down in number.  And my home nurse, the first month of recovery was strongly suggesting I wean myself off and get onto tylenol only.  Not possible, but I did stop by 8 weeks because I could.  If you're not ready, then don't stop.  With two knees done, I'd say you're far from pain free.  Take care
    • Posted

Maryann

The pain is bearable,but not pleasant. I am taking two Aleve a day one when I get up and one at bed time. I think I will be fine I go back to my doc on May 26th I will see what he says. I agree doctors should be careful with pain meds but if there was a reason to use them I think 2 TKR would be a good one . Thanks for the in put you guys are great.

• Posted

Aleve is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug that is not associated with dependence in most cases, Tana.  It can lead to stomach pains in some people but if you are taking it without any untoward effects this should not be a problem for you.  Aleve is a drug that is not recommended for people over the age of 80 because it can affect kidney function and there is also an increased stroke risk at this age.  If you are under 70 and have good kidneys you should be OK.  Why not get back to your doctor and ask him or her why they are reducing the tablets.  
    • Posted

Stephen

It kinda upset me that when I saw him just a few days before I called in my script that he just didn't say something. I agree that doctors are afraid of being labeled as someone who just hands out pain meds. I want to try not to use them unless I really need them. Maybe they will work .I am way younger than 80 and before I had this surgery I was very careful about what I put in my body. So i will use ice and heat to manage my pain. After reading these forums I know it could be worse.

• Posted

Tana,

i only had one knee done and same for me with script happened.  When I got a 30 refill.....I just called sooner to get another and I asked why.  I was told it was a mistake....the next refills were 90.  Don't assume....ask.  You should have what you need. 

We we want a happy Tana 😍

Pam

• Posted

Pam

That is something I never thought of, I took it as a slam. But I knew in my heart I had NEVER misused my pain meds. I was very aware of what could happen, I read stories all the time .I will call and ask what's up and see what my doctor says.

• Posted

NEVER NOT AFTER WHAT I HAVE GONE THROW TAKE THEM AS LONG AS IT HURTS SO U are COMFETABUL
    • Posted

William

More info please this sounds like something I need to hear.

• Posted

Never. Not after what I have gone through.

Take them as long as it hurts, so you are comfortable.

William sounds as though he's had a lot of pain.:-(

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.