When is the right time for no more pain meds

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am 14 weeks post op and the last time I called in to get my pain meds they only gave me 30 pills . This is down from 90 pills, I get the feeling they dont want me to have them. I have never taken an meds unless it was time, never even took a breakthrough pill. So i just stop taken them completely so i will have them when i go back to work on mothers day. My pain is ok but i have a heaviness after i work out. I am taken Aleve and its ok, am i doing myself harm or is it ok? Maybe I should tell you I had both knees done, so I don't have a good leg to stand on.

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Tana

I am glad I have someone I can follow after for advise. Having both done is a big challenge. At my hospital I'm known as " the brave one" for doing both. I am 5 weeks post op and was doing well I thought. Then yesterday I was sitting on side of my bed feet on floor and made a quick turn left to look behind me and a sharp fast pain went up my thigh from right above kneecap. Needless to say..my PT went poorly and I cannot walk as far or stand as long today. Icing as I write and pain med. It can be dis heartening not to do excercises. Hope it calms down fast.

• Posted

Roma

You will have some good days and some bad. I have been walking without any device for 5 weeks I do pretty well. Try to find out if you can take an sleep aid no pain additive and buy a heating pad. Use ice for swelling , use the heat to relax all around you knees before bed. You can put it on your knees if you ask you nurse or PT , I find it very helpful for sleep. The most important thing is to sleep, you will heal much faster if your rested. If you ever want to chat just reach out it helps to talk to someone who has them both done same time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.