When should I expect to start feeling better ?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been on 20mg of Citalopram for 3 weeks & GP has just increased to 30mg. I am really not feeling any better, some days are better than others. Early mornings are the worse, feeling sick, dreading how I am going to get through the day. Eating is the worse, I have no appetite, which is making me very weak, so have no energy to do anything. I was taking Diazapam but GP wants me to have a break from taking them but I feel as if I need something until citalopram kick in. Are these symptoms anyone else is experiencing ?

1 like, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am soooooooo tired and drowsy, but can't sleep through the night sad
    • Posted

Hi Jen

I just joined this forum :-)

i have been on Citalopram for 5 days (10mg), I can't get out of bed as so tired. And also haven't slept through the night for the last 5 nights.  I wake up every 1.5 hours with a start and hot flush...... Horrible.

I have been very teary this week, but don't know if it's hormones as well.

gosh this is horrible, but my friends are telling me to ride it out for a few weeks, hoping it gets better soon.  So much for 'happy pills'!

Emma x

• Posted

Sorry Jen, Please excuse my brain!! I failed to take in your first post that said you had been taking this for the last 12 years with no problem. I'm stumped now as to what to say to you. Three weeks does seem a long time for symptoms to last. I know some people relapse at times and then it becomes necessary to up the dose. I would speak to your doctor to see if this is normal. Sorry I can't be of further help, but will support anytime you need some.
    • Posted

Haveyou tried taking tablets of a morning instead of a night time ?
    • Posted

I tried in the morning and was so tired I was scared to drive. So I switched to nights and now I can't sleep. Don't know which is worse!
    • Posted

I think personally morning is better, I was taking them of a night for ages and felt awful for months, I felt I could not breath of a night, which made me feel panicky, I used to have to go outside the house and sleep in my car, was the only way I could get air and feel a bit better; at times though sat wondering how I could stop all the bad feelings I was getting, even to the point of how better it would be not to be here at all, that was last winter, but I do feel a lot better now,takes a long while to start feeling the benefit, but wish I had never started on them. Hope you feel better soon xx
    • Posted

Hi Emma, I also joined the forum yesterday. When I was awake early this morning it was a comfort knowing that there were other people feeling the same as myself.

I too have been very emotional & am finding it very hard to get motivated which is very frustrating at this time of the year when there is so much to do.

Are you having any problems eating ? 

Jenny

xx

• Posted

Hi Jenny

i have no interest in eating anything, but know I need too :-(

have be only slept for max 1 hour last night before waking up with hot flush.

others are suggesting to take the tablet in the morning, but not sure if I should phase it, I.e take it 2pm today and then 8am tomorrow, so I don't have too much in my system, what do you think ?

Emma x

• Posted

When I changed from night to morning, I just went a few hour's longer till the morning and took it first thing.  Found mornings best, even better if you eat something first before taking tablet, even if its a slice of toast. Also doctor put me on ensoprazole to take every morning before food, As he said citalopran can cause damage to the stomach, over s certain amount of time, and ensoprazole protects it.
    • Posted

Hi Emmalc,

I have been on hrt patch for menopause for the last three months, have been brought to my knees emotionally with no confience, insecure and compulsive thinking. I have been on citalopan 10 mg for just over three weeks and on saturday was relaxed all day long thoughts came and went quick. I had awful side effects for two weeks, stick at it as im waiting for another lovely day to come , they are on the way . good luck. xx

• Posted

Bless you bernieh, I'm on day 15 today, side effects seem to be wearing, although still can't sleep and am exhausted all the time.  Hoping the good days will come, but now struggling with my relationship breaking up..... Can it get any worse??!!?? 

Emma x

• Posted

Hi Emma,

Sorry to hear that , but you are priority number 1 to get well , i have had my ups and downs with my partner too , so keep strong it is on its way. x

• Posted

I just discovered something interesting. I've been trying to figure out why my anxiety would kick up after 12 years of freedom. I just read that accutane can diminish your body's supply of serotonin which can this cause anxiety and depression. I was in accutane since June and just stopped two weeks ago. I wonder if that's the culprit of my anxiety!!
    • Posted

Oooh that's interesting!!  Maybe that was the culprit :-)
    • Posted

I have been on cit 40 mg 5 1/2 weeks is this still early to see results? 
    • Posted

Hi Dee confused

Yes 5 1/2 weeks is still early, but you're well on your way.

I think around 2 months you should start feeling some positive results, though everyone takes different times.  As more months pass too you'll improve more and more.  It's so time consuming, and seems like a life time waiting, but the end result is worth it.

Also expect to get low periods through this ....... seems recovery is up and down.  Don't worry when you feel low, it'll pass eventually.

xx

• Posted

Hi Dee,

Just wondered how you are feeling ? I am 4 1/2 weeks in taking 30mgs.

No 2 days are ever the same, Monday & Tuesday were good, today not so good. Hoping we see some improvement before Christmas as at the moment cannot interested in it at all, feel guilty as the  rest of the family are excited ! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.