When should my FSH have been tested?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone..

I have been having awful symptoms , insomnia , heavy sweats (night and day), irritable, panic, palpatations chest pains (twice) . I have a thyroid issue ( no treatment for it though) and also Fibromyalgia. I saw the doctor last week as I thought maybe my thyroid was going hyper, she suggested the menopause and took blood from me there and then to test. I got the results back from my FSH test today and it was fine as it was very low. My question to all you knowledgable ladies is when should my FSH have been tested ? I have regular periods and mine was test on day 25 of my cycle. I have read everywhere that it should be tested on day 1-4. Help I am confused ? Has my doctor tested me at the wrong time?

Thanks in advance

Amanda

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I have just had mine tested Mobday and gynae said the best time to get accurate readings is 2nd-5th day of your period......an even if it shows normal you can still have perimenopause symptoms...

I'm 48 an have started wth a lot of them she gave me primeve plus to try

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for replying. It looks like I have been tested on the wrong day

Frustrating!! 

So if you have just had it tested on Monday have you had your results ? Mine took a week. If you have not had your results are they treating you on your symptoms alone? Also what is primeve plus ?  sorry for all the questions  I am confused with all this...lol

• Posted

Hi yes I'm 48 an gynae said with all my symptoms I'm def starting peri menopause she has given me natural stuff 1st for a few months Primeve plus is evening primrose oil wth vit E vit B zink an mag an also on MenaCal 7 which is a calcium supplement if that doesn't help she has a anti depressant Serdep which they use for women with menopause symptom after that hrt...... hav nt got results back yet....

• Posted

Hi Amanda. nowadays most docs diagnose peri/meno by age, symptoms & periods. they do not rely on blood tests as hormones fluctuate so much even hour to hour! you sound like you have many of the mental & physical symptoms, but usually your your periods start to go a bit erratic/change too.....perhaps you are at the beginning of peri? i was put on low dose/risk hrt in april for peri following 2yrs of irreg bleeding then onset of physical & mental symptoms beginning of this year. the hrt has helped greatly especially the mental symptoms. an alternative to hrt is a popular ad used for softening peri/meno symptoms called fluoxetine. many ladies on here & a friend of mine have found it very helpful with symptoms. hope this helps hun. xxx

• Posted

Hi Looloo, Thanks for all the info!

I am lost with all the symptoms as they could be meno/thyriod or fibro. I never seem to get any answers from any doctors or tests and just stay in this limbo. So fustrating.

My periods are usually to the day but the flow and length do vary month to month as does the pain...sometimes I swear i am in labour!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.