When the mirt don't work

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

I've been off my work for 4 months, been taking mirt 15mg then 30 mg then back to 15mg. Felt totally demotivated on them and depression has got worse. Are they worth sticking out as doc now suggesting I wean off and try ceralapram instead? My depression and anxiety is supposedly situational but I feel it's deepening...

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi vroomz, i have been on Mirtazapine for 6 months now and have to agree with most that the results vary from person to person. I personally have found it to be not much help myself. I began on the 15mg and i am now on 45mg to treat depression after a real dip in mood over the Xmas period. My experience with this a.d is that it has hindered my sleep from time to time, with some weeks of having 2-3 nights of no sleep at all. Initially i was prescribed zopiclone to help with this which seemed to work ok most nights, but i have since come off them as my sleep pattern seemed to rectify itself. This week however, i am spending my second night in the constraints of insomnia. In regards to my mood whilst taking it, i can't say that i have had a day where i have felt normal again to be honest, with the occasional days where something as silly as a soap on tv can make me teary. General motivation hasn't improved and the lethargic feeling is still there throughout the days. I have spoken to my gp about changing my tabs, but he advised that it wouldn't be worth it due to the weaning off period and my forthcoming psychological treatment coming up. All in all, from my personal opinion, i couldn't recommend them, but then you do hear of success stories from others so i guess it is down to how they make you feel in yourself. Good luck with your treatment. Grant
    • Posted

Thanks Grant. I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling much better either and you're having trouble sleeping. I'm going to ask gp for something different but underneath I know it's my situation that is causing this. I've been off work for 4 months now and I'm about to resign as I just can't face going back as I just can't seem to get better and I have a very stressful job. Just wish I could feel stable enough to move on and be able to pick up some low key work, I know that would help me but I just can't find the energy and stable mindset to do it. I'm starting to feel desperate about it all.

Hope things look up for you soon

L x

• Posted

I am very much so in the same situation as yourself it would appear, i also worked for the last 15 years solidly and due to an accumulation of putting things in boxes of events over the years, the stresses of my position and what i can only describe as bullying towards the end of last year, i was layed off after being informed i will be on long term sickness. Still, 6 months after, the motivation isn't there and the feeling inside that i am not stable enough to work is a problem. That alsobbrings with it an accumulation of stress, as i began to feel that my purpose has disappeared. After all, the more traditional do state that the "man of the house" should be able to support a stable home, and i feel that this is the view my partner has. I know that this would be reading other's minds, but she often makes little comments that i believe to show that is her belief, and it's hard to shake that feeling even if it is likely not to be true. I do however have my psychiatric treatment starting soon so all is not lost. I do agree that some low key work would probably work wonders for our self esteem, I'm considering taking up some adult learning in gardening myself! But that is all i can seem to muster, a consideration... One thing i will say, we can at least take some solace that we aren't alone! This is the first time i have spoken to somebody that i feel i can genuinely relate to! 😊

I do hope that you manage to feel right again, and that the desperation felt will lead to desire.

Take care,

G x

• Posted

Hey I know what u mean about the lack of purpose and position in the family. I was the main earner for years and it will be hard to not have cash at my fingertips for the foreseeable but I need to try get better without the work ties. I just can't imagine going back to my current job, it's too full on and feels like that ship has sailed and just now bringing me down .

You should just book on that gardening course and muster all the strength u can and when the day comes to start attending. U can so do it, lead the way Grant! If u do I'll try do something too!

Hope u get on well with the treatment, is it CBT? Do let me know how u get on.

Be great to keep in touch as we seem in similar boats.

L x

• Posted

Hi.. I'd come off it ..Iv been on it the worst med ever iv researched citrolpram seems an awful lot better.. Iv been put on venlafaxine after the mirt I feel so much better ..
    • Posted

Thanks for that Sharing. Did u find it OK changing meds? I feel super rubbish weaning off the mirt, makes me wonder if I'm doing the right thing and perhaps it was helping / I didn't give it long enough...
    • Posted

I was only on it 4 months 3months to long bcause I was desperate for it to work.. I had such a bad relapse because of this..I didn't taper my pdr said just come straight off it..I felt weird around the time at took it each night but nothing major..I started venlafaxine about 8 days later when I felt ready too.. I'm glad to help you 😊
    • Posted

Did u get many side effects going onto venflaxine? My doc is suggesting ceralapram but I've heard a lot of bad stories from folk starting on it and my brain and body is so tired already with all this going on so long 😔
    • Posted

No just feel a bit sick sometimes 1st night was the worst but was in bed so not a prob. I wanted to go on citrolpram after researching bt my doc said no ..an put me on this.. been on 75 mg now for a week ment to go up to 150 nw but I'm not ready yet so will do in my time 😊
  • Posted

Hi Vroomz,

What are you taking the Mirtaz for? sleep disorder or anti-depressant?  I agree with Grant that the results vary a great deal between people. Fortunately there are numerous anti-depressant, so there is likely to be one that will work for you. So may want to talk to others or read up on the internet and find one that you can suggest to your doc.

I've been on Mirtazapine (15 mg) for ten years, the only side effect has been a nasty weight gain. My initial problem was difficulty sleeping and depression. I have bipolar disorder.  Mirtaz continues to work well. Wishing you well.

• Posted

Thanks Karin. Was prescribed for depression and anxiety combined with generally having rubbish sleep but didn't seem to help the dep / anx. Bit better on sleep but starting waking early again. It didn't do much for my appetite either strangely.
  • Posted

Sorry your feeling so bad

I think if the mirt has not started working by now its not going to and you should go to the doc and change just remember to taper off slowly.

My story with mirt was a good one 6 years on 45mg only side effect was weight gain which I was willing to put up with for an even mood and a good sleep,they stopped working for me in December so Im now on the guinea pig train for a new AD that will work for me.

Everyone reacts differntly to AD

Stay strongconfused

• Posted

Thanks Lynne. Let me know how u get on changing meds, hope it goes well x
  • Posted

Hi vroom, yes get off them if they are making your depression much worse. I made the mistake of staying on them due to my GP. My psychiatrist told me never to take an anti d if it makes you feel worse, It was the worst type of depression I have ever experienced. Nasty drug for some. If you do stop, come off very slowly. Good health.

• Posted

Thank u, good to know I'm not imagining they could be making things worse. Still, I need to work on my head situation too without waiting for the old magic wand but it would be good to at least get a helping hand from meds!
    • Posted

Yes I know what you mean, the meds should be used like a walking stick. I moved onto sertraline after that mirt desaster, it's been all good since. Motivate yourself when you can, all the best ☺☺

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.