When to have op

Posted , 14 users are following.

i am new to this page. I am 55 and have lost lot of movement in my hip. X-ray shows nothing to inject into. So op is next option. I walk with a limp 75 per cent of the time (friends tell me) pain level not too bad. The biggest prob is shoes and socks, unable to do these unaided! Driving manual car after a walk, getting discomfort, after 6000 step walk aching. I am wondering if I should just carry on until really painful, or have done. I feel relatively young to be needing this I feel. My excercise levels have decreased so gaining bit extra weight too. Still swim, walking etc. So my question is do I wait for real pain, or get done before while bit fitter? 

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello! I'm 46 and was diagnosed with severe OA last September and he said the only option was THR. I was in total shock. All my pain was in thigh and I never even considered a bad hip. I thought I could wait until I was 50. I limped along for about 3 months then it got really bad really fast. I got a second opinion and scheduled my surgery for June. I had anterior RTHR a week ago and feel pretty good. My arthritis pain is totally gone, now it's just tender surgical pain. You will know when to start scheduling. The pain you have now will only get worse. Once you have the operation it will get better. Find a Dr and hospital that you trust and you will do great!

• Posted

I am a 56 year old male and thought I was doing okay. 

I knew my hip was not great and would need work. 

I put it off for too long and ended up with a bone cyst

laterally in the my hip socket. This required a

graft to repair. 

Now six weeks post op I can't imagine why I waited. 

The first week there was a bit of discomfort and inconvenience. 

But since then it's been steady progress every week. I'm back

at work, driving again and walking unaided. I can comfortably

sleep on my operative side and apart from some minor swelling

at the op site everything is great. 

• Posted

HI to all, seen my surgeon yesterday and agreed on spring LHR. Asked more details after reading helpful things on here. Having anti lat approach no cement! My surgeon said poster more chance of dislocation. upu do feel that you are in their hands and they know best. I'm 55 so hope this is right so I won't limp and any permanent damage. My pain not too bad but very limited what I can do now. Can't hurry, can't carry things upstairs or downstairs, getting dressed etc. Very annoying, not walking dogs very much. Very good the advice and support on here. Thanks and good luck to all.

• Posted

Dear Sharon

If your hip is shot then the sooner you have it replaced the better chance of a really successful outcome.

Whilst the anterior approach should mean that risk of dislocation is reduced if you follow the rules and do the muscle strengthening that are needed regardless there should not be a big problem.

Bear in mind that it seems that you are very much more likely to suffer nerve damage from the anterior approach which can give some horrible pain issues that can be difficult to resolve.

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

just an update, I now have a date for THR for the 9th April.  I am dreading it!  All the complications that can happen sound scary.  But on the other hand if I can move in a more normal way after, put on my own socks, walk longer than 10 mins, climb stairs without pulling myself up, hoping things will improve.  Thanks for all the advice on here, it is a great discussion group. No doubt I will be on here over the next few weeks.
    • Posted

I’m pleased you’ve got a surgery date. I was 57 when I had mine in July 2016, it all went really smoothly. I had a very straightforward recovery, I wish you all the best, Judith 
    • Posted

Dear Sharon

Well done now try to relax and be positive.   Make sure you have all the support you feel you need especially if you will be on our own.   The alternative to not having the surgery is really a non starter as I'm sure you already know!

Best wishes, Richard

• Posted

Hi Sharon, don't dread it. I was a bit further up the page and had mine done

in June of 2017. I had no complications to speak of despite all my concerns. 

I'm 58 and went into intensive rehab as I live a long way from the nearest

hospital. I took the meds, did the work and went home eight days post op. 

The rehab helped me gain the confidence to use my new hip safely. 

Now nine months later, I've just gotten home from walking my dog. My massive

limp is gone, my toes all point forward and I can cut my own nails. 

The only issue I have, for want of a better term, is that as my muscle

mass has regenerated after years of wasting away. It has been crucial

to stretch it gently to keep it from tightening up. 

If I could be so forward as to offer advice.

1) stay isolated for a couple of days before surgery

to ensure no coughs or colds. 

2) If they offer a urinary catheter maybe accept it. 

Much easier to get out of bed in your time, not when

your bladder demands it. 

I know you will be nervous, but I can't tell you what 

a thrill it was to go out for a walk down the street with

my physical therapist only a couple of days post op. 

All the best to you for a great outcome.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.